PDA

View Full Version : lasering marble

John Coco
03-07-2007, 3:45 AM
Here is a question I've been wondering but haven't seen any discussion. When lasering marble, granite and glass, or other such materials that do not produce smoke or toxic fumes, is there a need for exhausting the air outside.

Perry Brock
03-07-2007, 8:25 AM
Marble, granite, glass etc. are pulverized by the laser and while they don't make smoke they do make fine powders and abrasive particles inside you machine.

I have cleaned my laser after lasering these items without exhaust and now if my laser is running my exhaust is turned on no matter what material is being used.

I hope this helps.

Belinda Barfield
03-07-2007, 9:30 AM
John,

I'm with Perry on this one. In addition, some marbles and granites are factory sealed or resin impregnated. Some of the black materials coming in from China are also dye impregnated. I don't know your material source, so this might not be the case. E

Even though you don't see it, you could be releasing something you don't want to breath. Better safe than sorry IMHO.

Frank Corker
03-07-2007, 8:03 PM
I know when I engrave the granite that I use I always have the extractor on, there is a smell and it's not too unpleasant but it seems to linger for a long time.