PDA

View Full Version : Rockler bed - Anyone converted to King Size

Justin Dreier
03-06-2007, 11:13 PM
I'm about to embark on building the rockler classic bed as shown here Rockler Classic Bed (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?Offerings_ID=10721) . Will be using QSWO and WO, not cherry.

Anyone made this bed converting it to King size? Any notes from your experience that might save me time/problems?

Lee DeRaud
03-07-2007, 1:35 AM
The dimensions aren't really a problem, the weight is.

The gas struts in the Rockler/Create-A-Bed kits are sized to handle the weight of a particular size platform and mattress. The king will weigh 15-20% more than a queen. I suppose if you use a lighter mattress with the queen struts, you'll be ok...maybe one of the "Sleep Number" air beds or the Tempur foam mattresses. If you end up too light, there's room in the platform torsion box for ballast.

Justin Dreier
03-07-2007, 8:54 AM
Thanks Lee - We do have the "sleep number" I'll beef up the braces anyway. Doesn't hurt. Justin

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-07-2007, 9:30 AM
The gas struts in the Rockler/Create-A-Bed kits

Gas struts?? I thought they only came with the McPherson bed.

Kidding aside what do they do dampen bounce?

OK kidding aside. aren't they just for murphy beds?

Lee DeRaud
03-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Thanks Lee - We do have the "sleep number" I'll beef up the braces anyway. Doesn't hurt. JustinThe struts don't actually support anything when the bed is open or closed: it's an issue of weight balance (and effort required) when opening and closing it. The structure of the bed itself is already plenty strong and strengthening the platform will just make it heavier.

Lee DeRaud
03-07-2007, 11:07 AM
OK kidding aside. aren't they just for murphy beds?Oh crap...when someone says "Rockler bed", that's the one I think of...and the question of making a king version had come up before.

Never mind. :p

Travis Hirst
03-07-2007, 11:08 AM
Lee I don't think he's making a murphy bed.

John Hemenway
03-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Comments on using gas struts on a non-Murphy bed could get out of hand! :eek:

The plans don't look like they are for murphy bed, or did I miss something?
:confused::confused::confused:

Gas struts?? I thought they only came with the McPherson bed.

Kidding aside what do they do dampen bounce?

OK kidding aside. aren't they just for murphy beds?