PDA

View Full Version : Two Vessels with Mobius Ribbon Finials

Malcolm Tibbetts
03-06-2007, 7:58 PM
Here’s a photo of my latest work. The “ribbon” finial is a first for me. The ribbon is turned initially as four, 2 ˝” diameter, staved-constructed, bottomless bowls. Then the bowls are cut apart into half and quarter sections and reassembled into the mobius ribbon. The woods are holly and blue mahoe. They are 15” tall including the finials. A few people have said that the ribbons are too big, but I’m sticking with it. What do you folks think?

Bernie Weishapl
03-06-2007, 8:08 PM
Malcolm I must say they are awesome. I like the finials. One of these days I am going to get your book and trying this segmented thing. I really am wanting to try it.

Bill Wyko
03-06-2007, 8:08 PM
Malcolm your work is breathtaking. Absolutly stunning. I really like the fact that you don't follow any one style. Your designs and patterns are always unique. Congradulations on another spectacular pair.:D

Brian McInturff
03-06-2007, 8:30 PM
Malcolm,
I saw these over on WOW and thought, My Gosh, these are awesome. One of the best segments I've seen and I the color combination has really nailed it. These are truly fabulous!!!
Brian

Richard Madison
03-06-2007, 8:59 PM
Malcolm,
Beautiful work, and assume the fits and finish are flawless (I have your book), but you hadda ask. The "ribbons" look as though they should have been parts of a different piece. I vote with the "too big" folks. Having only simple mechanical skills and very limited "artistic vision", I'm not really qualified to comment. But you hadda ask. The book is extremely well written, and every beginning and intermediate segmenter should give it a look.

John Chandler
03-06-2007, 10:37 PM
I think your work is absolutely amazing. Very nice.

Jeff Moffett
03-06-2007, 10:46 PM
Wow! Those are truly amazing, Malcolm. There are a handful of very gifted turners in this forum and you are certainly one of them. Thanks for posting your work here.

Steve Schlumpf
03-06-2007, 11:38 PM
Beautiful work Malcolm! Size of the ribbons seem correct for the size of the hollow forms. Once again, beautiful work!

David Walser
03-06-2007, 11:46 PM
Malcolm,

Very nice work. For me, the pair would be better off without the ribbons. I find the ribbon competes for attention with the "jar". They tend to draw my focus away for the beautiful form. I think without the ribbon, the finials would simply complete, not compete. I might feel different if I could see the pieces in person, rather than looking at a photo.

You've got my address, don't you? :)

Jonathon Spafford
03-07-2007, 12:02 AM
Amazing pieces... your pieces are always impressive! Really like both of these!

Mark Cothren
03-07-2007, 8:09 AM
Hey Malcolm, I like the vessels... but I really don't care for either of the ribboned finials... they are, however, unique - and I do like that aspect of them. They just don't fit my personal taste.

The picture is really "snowy" to me... I also wonder what these would look like against a background that contrasts in color to both the black and white? Shoot, I'm no photographer... I'm just thinkin' out loud with my fingers here.

Keep 'em comin'!!!!!!!

John Hart
03-07-2007, 8:16 AM
I'm in the "no ribbons" crowd. The pieces themselves are wonderful, but my personal taste says that the ribbons are too busy for my living room. But, they are cool.:)

Mark Pruitt
03-07-2007, 8:42 AM
Malcolm, those are beautiful. The ribbons do tend to overwhelm the vessels due to their relative size. Still, they are extremely interesting. I'm sitting here trying to do the math on those ribbons. When you say "four stave constructed bottomless bowls" I assume you mean four for each vessel. A top-view photo would help me understand their construction a little more easily I think.

Brian Myers
03-07-2007, 9:13 AM
:eek: We really need the smiley with the dropping jaw for those. Great work, I would think they need to be seen in person to truly appreciate them.

Joe Melton
03-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Nice work, Malcolm. I really can't give you any advice on these, but maybe next time? Anyway, your technical and artistic skills are impressive, and I sense you are going to make a name for yourself in woodturning.
Joe

Bill Wyko
03-07-2007, 4:22 PM
I personally think the finials make them come to life. It gives them a personality.:D