PDA

View Full Version : Oneway grinder wheel balance system

John Chandler
03-06-2007, 7:17 PM
I bought the wheel balancing system from Oneway. I balanced one of my grinder's wheels in about 5 minutes. Not much trouble. My second wheel, though (also a Norton wheel) I have tried 6 or 7 times, each time starting over - finding the 9,12,3, and 6 poisitions, then slightly raising both balancing nuts. None of the changes seem to make a difference in the rate at which the wheel turns when I test it. I have even tried adding another nut in there to see if the additional weight would make a difference and still no luck. Has anyone had this problem and do you have any ideas?

Bob Hamilton
03-06-2007, 7:49 PM
The only thing I can suggest is to make sure the wheel hub is sitting properly on the bearings. I just got one of those a couple of weeks ago and found that if I wasn't paying attention it was easy to let the wheel slip off one of the bearings and that threw the balancing act off.

Take care
Bob

Jim Becker
03-06-2007, 10:19 PM
When I got my balancing system, I "practiced" with a couple of older wheels to get the hang of the process before putting my new Norton 3x wheels on the machine. One of the older wheels balanced fine; the other...not a chance in heck it was going to balance. Bad wheel. They are more common than you think. When I did the two new wheels that are on my grinder now...they both balanced quickly and with excellent results.

John Chandler
03-06-2007, 10:25 PM
I appreciate the responses. Since I did make sure the wheel was on both bearings I am left to think maybe the wheel is just not right based on what Jim said - I wasn't sure if something in the wheel could cause it to not balance but apparently so. Hopefully Rockler will not give me any trouble as I have the receipt - they should just swap it out. Thanks again.

Keith Burns
03-07-2007, 12:46 PM
In addition to balance there is one other thing thats can make a big difference. That is the roundness of the wheel. I kept dressing my wheel with a handheld dimaond dresser and continued to get a crapp sharpening job. Finally bought the wolverine dressing tool which makes the wheel round. What a difference it makes.

John Chandler
03-12-2007, 11:52 PM
I did swap out the wheel for another one. I had it balanced within 5 minutes. Thanks again, Jim, for mentioning your bad wheel.

John Shumate
06-27-2008, 10:53 PM
I just purchased the balancing system, along with Oneway's wheels. I'm not sure about how to mount the wheels on my Delta slow speed grinder. I put the machined washer on the shaft first, then the wheel with the weights facing away from the motor. This results with some slop on the shaft. I can screw the nut all the way on the shaft and still move the wheel 1/8 inch or so in and out. Oneway told me not to reuse the washers that came with the grinder.

What am I missing? Do I need additional washers from Oneway?

Your help is appreciated.

/John

robert hainstock
06-28-2008, 10:14 AM
if the new wheels are narrower than the originals, you need to fill that space on the shaft with metal washers. Two or three flat washers wpould be the best, and make sure they are inside dia. the shaft size of the grinder. :eek::)
Bob

John Shumate
06-28-2008, 11:09 AM
if the new wheels are narrower than the originals, you need to fill that space on the shaft with metal washers. Two or three flat washers wpould be the best, and make sure they are inside dia. the shaft size of the grinder. :eek::)
Bob

The new wheels are the same thickness as my old ones. Oneway said not to use the old washers since they may affect the balance.

Ken Casser
08-31-2008, 7:53 PM
Okay, this is an old thread, but I have a related question. My wheels are currently concentric due to dressing with the Oneway wheel dresser, although they are vibrating a bit much. If I were to balance my wheels with the Oneway Balancing System, isn't it possible that after balancing, the wheels will be a touch out-of-round? Then, I would round them up with the diamond dresser. And then, wouldn't they be out of balance again requiring me to balance them again, resulting in a wheel that is not concentric. So, I would have to dress it, again, once again throwing it out of balance? Around and around I go. Who has an answer? No one knows...

John Shuk
08-31-2008, 8:38 PM
Balance it then dress it then balance it and you should be good to go.

Jim Becker
08-31-2008, 9:08 PM
Ken, you'll likely want to dress them again after balancing, but they should turn out (LOL) nicely.

Bernie Weishapl
08-31-2008, 10:31 PM
Had the same problem with my system. One balanced one didn't. Took the wheel back to woodcraft and the new one balanced fine. I think you have a bad grinding wheel.

Jim Becker
09-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Yea, I had one wheel that wouldn't balance, too...fortunately, an old one that was just part of the "experiment" before putting on my new wheels. I went with the Norton 3X wheels in 60 and 100 grit, balanced them up with the system and have been a happy camper every since.

Ken Casser
09-01-2008, 4:23 PM
Well, thank you for all the replies, but I'll have to file that information for future use. I just figured out that to use the Oneway Balancer, the wheels need to have 1" holes in them. Mine are 5/8, and 3/4 bushed down to 5/8. For me to go with the Oneway, I'll need all new wheels. So, let's change the subject - I'll do a SEARCH, and then post a new subject if I need to, but I'm interested in knowing about the Delta variable speed grinder. Admittedly pricey, but maybe just the ticket to improve what I already have.

Jim Becker
09-01-2008, 4:45 PM
Ken, IMHO, better wheels are a better investment than a whole new grinder...which is just a motor. My grinder is a dirt cheap 8" "Tradesman" grinder with the good Norton 3x wheels and the OneWay balancing system. It just purrs....

Ken Casser
09-06-2008, 3:06 PM
Thanks, Jim! I think you're right. In fact, I went back and dressed my wheels with the Oneway Diamond dresser, and they're now better than ever. The grinder is running smoother and the edge I'm getting is terrific. I admit I used a technique I stole from Tormek - I took a black marker and covered the surface of the skew, slid the wheel by hand a few turns to set up the jig position (minding where the wheel rubbed off the marker), and viola, magic!

One more bit of confusion - I notice most, if not all, suggest Norton 3X wheels of 60 & 100 grit, but my Packard catalog only offers them in 46 and 80 grit. Where are the 3X wheels in 60 & 100?

Best,

Ken

Ken Fitzgerald
09-06-2008, 3:56 PM
Ken....check this at CSUSA

They aren't the 3x but the 32A by Norton.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Sharpening___Grinders___Wheels___Norton_32A_White_ Wheel___norton_wheels?Args=

Ken Casser
09-06-2008, 4:17 PM
Thanks, Ken. But, A) they aren't 3X, and 2) their arbor hole is only 5/8" which won't accommodate the Oneway Balancing System. Packard has "White AOL Grinding Wheels by Norton" in 60 & 100, and the arbor will step up from 5/8 to 1 1/4", which would work, but that doesn't sound like the wheels others are suggesting. Anyway, I think I got lucky. My white wheel is 100 grit Norton and seems very true, so I'll stick with it until I need to change. I have other itches to scratch that are more urgent. :D:D