PDA

View Full Version : Laguna LT16HD or LT18?

Rich Person
03-06-2007, 6:03 PM
With the Lagunas on sale now, and my bonus check coming in, I am going to take the plunge on a new bandsaw. I am a hobbiest only, but would like to resaw bookmatched panels and the like. While the LT16 would probably meet my needs, I can swing the LT16HD (with the sale price).

My question: Is there any reason to consider moving up to the LT18, other than the usual "bigger is better"? The only real difference appears to be 2" in resaw and 2" in depth. I don't plan on running logs through this thing, mainly resawing finished or rough lumber. 12" resaw would be fine for most of my needs. 16" will certainly be enough. 18" . . . ?

James Kuhn
03-06-2007, 6:33 PM
I went with the larger simply because it was on sale at the time and ended up costing only 10 or 20 dollars more. I didn't need the extra resaw either, but the 25 by 19 inch table ended up being a surprise benefit.

Tom Cowie
03-06-2007, 7:00 PM
Hi Rich

I bought my Laguna about this time several years ago. I wanted to go with the LT16HD. I was well satisfied with it's abilities.

The problem I had was that the saw was going to take four months to deliver ( most popular saw ,big waiting list). The Laguna rep made me a very fair deal on a LT20 that I couldn't pass up, so I bought it. It shipped two days later and I've been happy ever since.

I said the same thing about not wanting to run logs through it but I have an asortment of Cherry Walnut and Ceader. just waiting for spring. Big logs 16"and above take some thought to get them thru without Laguna's "Log Master" but so far I've done ok.

I've found the stuff that makes the worst firewood makes the nicest boards..(crotch wood, root ball, burls.etc..)

Good luck with the new purchase let us know what you get..

Tom

Dan Larson
03-06-2007, 8:39 PM
I was faced with this choice too when I bought my saw a few years ago... I went with the LT18 over the 16HD. I thought the bigger table and throat were worth an extra few hundred... and they have been in my view. The bigger resaw capacity doesn't matter to me... I've never resawn anything bigger than 11 or 12" anyway. If the 16HD is already pushing your budget, then it makes sense to stick with the smaller saw. I doubt you'll have buyer's remorse of any sort... the 16HD is a fine saw!

Dan

Steve Rowe
03-06-2007, 8:50 PM
I have an older LT-18 with 12" resaw capacity. I have used the LT-16HD with the 16" resaw capacity. Both are fine saws and from what you describe, either will satisfy your intended needs.
Steve

Jim Becker
03-06-2007, 9:50 PM
I'll agree with the others...the larger machine, if affordable to you, is the better buy in the long run, if only because it's going to be kinder to the bands...especially carbides.

Roy Wall
03-06-2007, 11:14 PM
Rich,

at the price point of the laguna 18"........you may want to take a peak at the AGAZZANI B-20! Eagle tools close to you and Jesse is the Man!

Eddie Darby
03-07-2007, 2:27 AM
I see that the price difference right now is $ 300 between the LT16HD with 16" resaw, and the LT18 with 18" resaw.
Both saws will use the smallest blade size of 1/16", any bigger and that becomes 1/8" for the 20" saw and 3/8" for the 18" resaw master.
Both are 30 amps.
This is a lot of saw for an amateur, so I would have to think that you are on the verge of becoming something more, and so the $ 300 will serve you well in the long run. Once I buy a tool I always find myself using it in ways I never imagined at the start, and so more is usually better.
Bigger is easier on the blades and you will be spending more on longer blades so you will want them to last.
I hope you enjoy whatever saw you choose.:) Please let us know how it goes.

Mark Singer
03-07-2007, 7:54 AM
Rich,

at the price point of the laguna 18"........you may want to take a peak at the AGAZZANI B-20! Eagle tools close to you and Jesse is the Man!

That is sound advice!

Rich Person
03-07-2007, 11:49 AM
I have talked to Jesse and considered the B-20. It seems hard to justify paying $150 more, get less horsepower (4.5->3), less resaw (16"->12"), and also not have the ceramic guides (which I like).

I've heard good things about the Agazzanis, but are they really that much better to justify the higher price and lower stats? Up to this point, my order of preference has been LT18 > MM16 (let's not get started on this one) > B-20.

Mike Wilkins
03-07-2007, 2:23 PM
I have the older LT-18 w/the 12" resaw. You can't go wrong with either choice: 16HD or the 18. With 16" resaw capacity you should be able to handle anything that comes at you. Anything larger than the capacity of the 16HD you might need a forklift to place on the table.

Scott Thornton
03-07-2007, 2:54 PM
Get the biggest one you can afford. I have seen the 16 and the 24, not the 18. I know the people with the 16 and 24 are very happy.

Rich Person
03-07-2007, 4:32 PM
Thanks everyone for you input. I think all the Lagunas, MMs and Agazzanis are great saws, and all would work well for me. I know several big names seem to like the Agazzani, but I just can't get as excited about it. I think five years ago, it was the best out there. With the Laguna upgrades (Baldor + ceramics), I think that is a better saw for me.

I appreciate the comments on the 18" wheels being kinder to the blades. I hadn't considered that.

Roy Wall
03-07-2007, 6:56 PM
Rich,

If you prefer the ceramic guides.. I agree to go with the Laguna.

I did check their website and the regular LT16 is only $1495 -- that's a pretty good chunk LESS than the LT16HD. Yes, 3 hp and 12" resaw..but the next step up is another $750 and you still have the same wheel size...albeit more HP. Seems like the "BEST BUY" of the bunch.....

Greg Deakins
03-07-2007, 7:20 PM
shucks, all this talk about high end bandsaws really makes me think I should have gotten a real jobbie. Here I am making a living with a ten inch delta and you guys are wondering if an 18 inch laguna is enough for a hobbiest. I actuallly would go for the 14(SE), or I think those are the extra letters, either way, it is the 14 inch with the higher resaw capacity. Unless you plan on making a living sawing logs, you would never need more, and you could take the wife out for dinner enough to make it all worthwhile too!

Rich Person
03-07-2007, 8:52 PM
Rich,

If you prefer the ceramic guides.. I agree to go with the Laguna.

I did check their website and the regular LT16 is only $1495 -- that's a pretty good chunk LESS than the LT16HD. Yes, 3 hp and 12" resaw..but the next step up is another $750 and you still have the same wheel size...albeit more HP. Seems like the "BEST BUY" of the bunch.....

I am actually going to go down to Laguna's shop and check all the saws out before I make my decision. The LT16 is still an option. I think the 3 hp Baldor would be plenty of motor for me. My only concerns are if the machine appears as stable (vibration free) and can cut as smoothly. I may take a nice board with me for a test. If it does the job as well then I will probably save the money. My main concern is that I don't want to look back a few years from now and wish I would have spent the extra $750 for the HD. If the LT16 resaws my board well, then I won't have to worry about that. Maybe I'll pick up a resaw king with some of the savings.

Mike Jackson
03-07-2007, 9:22 PM
The LT-16 is a good saw and probably good for a hobbiest - and like the post above, I am a professional making a living with the LT-16.

But, if you are seriously thinking about re-sawing 12" boards then the LT-16 is not enough saw. It can be done but if you need any efficiency in the shop like I do, it is much too slow. I push a 12" board at about two inches per minute (and that is with a sharp re-saw king blade)

Rich Person
03-07-2007, 9:40 PM
The LT-16 is a good saw and probably good for a hobbiest - and like the post above, I am a professional making a living with the LT-16.

But, if you are seriously thinking about re-sawing 12" boards then the LT-16 is not enough saw. It can be done but if you need any efficiency in the shop like I do, it is much too slow. I push a 12" board at about two inches per minute (and that is with a sharp re-saw king blade)

Wow, thanks for the input. I was thinking more in terms of a stability difference. I don't do a lot of high throughput, but two inches a minute is pretty slow. Workable for a bookmatched panel, but cutting veneers or laminates . . . .

Mark Singer
03-07-2007, 10:23 PM
I know that Mark Duginske just bought his second Aggazani 20"....now and his other one he bought a while ago....maybe there is a reason:confused: He knows his bandsaws and he knows the others ones too:rolleyes:

Rich Person
03-07-2007, 11:46 PM
I know that Mark Duginske just bought his second Aggazani 20"....now and his other one he bought a while ago....maybe there is a reason:confused: He knows his bandsaws and he knows the others ones too:rolleyes:

I'll admit my ignorance here. But does Duginske actually make anything other than books? I can't find any evidence of his work product to know if I really like what he can do. Maloof obviously does nice work and I've seen much of it.

I know Duginske is the Bandsaw Book guru, but I'm not sure that his repurchasing of a B-20 is evidence that it is truly a better saw. I would imagine there is always some brand loyalty, and the thought of "why change it if it works." David Marks currently has a Minimax in his shop--and his work is exactly the kind of thing I'm into. This is probably heresy, but David Marks' opinion means more to me than Duginske's.

Bill Gates is a computer guru, and he has bought many Windows machines, and prefers them. I prefer the modern interface of a Mac. You can do great things with both machines and you can make junk with both machines. Just like quality Italian bandsaws.

Mark Singer
03-08-2007, 12:43 AM
Sounds like your mind is made up....Maloof(he has three Agazanni's) and Krenov also have the Aggazani....they don't make any junk that I have seen....but as you say , you could make junk on any saw:confused:

John Hain
03-08-2007, 11:05 AM
Sounds like your mind is made up....Maloof(he has three Agazanni's) and Krenov also have the Aggazani....they don't make any junk that I have seen....but as you say , you could make junk on any saw:confused:

Indeed, I make junk on all my saws.

I think he is asking (somewhat hintedly) of a reference to Duginske's works...

Mark Singer
03-08-2007, 11:21 AM

He invented tons of stuff that we use in our shops all the Fastrak stuff....fences, miter gauges, sharpening stuff...he sold his company to Kreg

Rich Person
03-08-2007, 11:39 AM

Somewhat. To use another analogy, if I wanted to by a rally racing car, I would probably be impressed by the opinions of other rally drivers over the opinions of street racers or guys who design suspension systems.

Duginske is no doubt a fine equipment inventor, I'm just don't know what kind of woodworker he is. Maloof is an excellent woodworker, but from what I can tell he uses is bandsaws mostly for freeform cutting, not resawing. I aluded to this earlier, but David Mark's selection of a MM probably has me rethinking more than anything else. Mainly because he does the kind of works I'm interested in, he appears to have an independent open mind about what tools he uses (even Festool).

Rich Person
03-08-2007, 11:44 AM
I emailed David Marks yesterday to get his opinion. I asked if he thought there were any advantage of the Laguna, MM and Agazzani, or if all were similar (albeit different). Here is his response:

WOW, Rich you did an outstanding job on your workbench! [:o] Nice handcut dovetails. As far as bandsaws go , yes I do have two Minimax bandsaws, the 20 “ and the 36”. I like them very much.They are both workhorses with plenty of resaw power. I have friends that have Laguna’s and are quite happy with them as well. Sam Maloof has a 36” Agazzani which he seems to be happy with, so yes I think it’s safe to conclude that they all work well and the results have more to do with the craftsman that is using it. Keep up the great work. David Marks