PDA

View Full Version : Another Turquoise segmented vessel

Bill Wyko
03-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Well this one survived! I've really got to get better lighting over my lathe. I thought I was at about 3/16. Turned out to be about 1/16. |When I put it in my press to glue the top to the bottom the upper walnut ring collapsed so I had to cut it out and try again. I look at it this way. Every piece is practice for the next. All in all it didn't turn too bad. A little more colorful than I expected but good practice. It's about 10 inches tall and 8.5" wide. It's finshed with 2 coats of tung oil then buffed on the 3 wheel. Enjoy.:D

Keith Burns
03-06-2007, 11:52 AM
Bill, I think this is the best one you have done. Good color mix and design. But more importantly you are discovering probably the most important thing which is the form. Good job!:) :)

Neal Addy
03-06-2007, 12:11 PM
Bill, this is fantastic! Great color contrasts and your form is spot-on.

Ron Raymond
03-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Beautiful...absolutely beautiful!

Jonathon Spafford
03-06-2007, 12:59 PM
THe wood and design and form is magnificent... a beautiful piece! You kinda just skipped right over the learning curve of turning into advanced the stuff! ;)

Mark Pruitt
03-06-2007, 1:00 PM
Bill,
Seems like the last seg you posted, I said it was your best yet. Well I'm gonna say it again; This is your best piece yet!:) Ditto what Keith said about form--You're showing excellent progress!

Bill Wyko
03-06-2007, 1:27 PM
Thanks guys, I still need to finsh the inside but I'll do that tonight. This one really pushed the limits of my JET Mini. It's starting to make a knocking noise and a growl now.:confused:

Dennis Peacock
03-06-2007, 1:29 PM
Ya know Bill.....I'm simply amazed at how well your segmented work turns out. Even more so at how well all the joints line up so well. Very nice work and maybe one day, I'll get brave enough to try it myself. :D

Bill Wyko
03-06-2007, 1:38 PM
OOPS, I almost forgot. The wood is walnut, Chakte kok, Curly Maple, Hard Maple for the little stripes, Wenge and Turquoise. Thanks Again everyone.:D I appreciate the compliments.

Bernie Weishapl
03-06-2007, 1:39 PM
Ditto what Dennis said. One of these days...........

Glenn Hodges
03-06-2007, 2:07 PM
and enjoy I did, thanks for letting me see it.

Bill Wyko
03-06-2007, 2:11 PM
THe wood and design and form is magnificent... a beautiful piece! You kinda just skipped right over the learning curve of turning into advanced the stuff! ;)Thanks Johnathon, I am still learning though. Learning to stop turning holes through the sides and bottoms:confused: I check it with a gauge but I still make them too thin. I also need to make my turquoise thicker too. I turned through the turquoise so I had to go back with a dremel and remove resin and super glue more in. At least it was fixable though.:o

Bill Wyko
03-06-2007, 2:15 PM
For those of you that want to try segmenting. I'll be happy to do another step by step documentary with pics of the next one if you all would like.

David Little
03-06-2007, 2:27 PM
Absolutely would love to see a step by step photo documentary!!!!

Bob Hallowell
03-06-2007, 2:31 PM
Bill,
that really turned out great. I think it's your best so far!

Bob

Steve Schlumpf
03-06-2007, 2:40 PM
Wow Bill - amazing the amount of progress you have made in such a short amount of time! Absolutely beautiful work! Great form, love the contrasting colors, Southwestern design and finish! Seriously looking forward to your next segmented work!

With the mini being pushed so hard - does that mean you are starting to think about an upgrade?

Hey - have fun with it!

Bill Wyko
03-06-2007, 2:52 PM
Thanks Steve. Yep, I already put a deposit on a 1442vst:D

Ken Fitzgerald
03-06-2007, 2:59 PM
BIll .....You've been turning just a fraction of the time I have and I'm stunned by your talent! Simply stunning!

Dale Gregory
03-06-2007, 6:09 PM
Turned out great! Here I was thinking you hollowed this out as one piece only to find out it's two pieces.:mad: I'm still impressed! ;) Good job!

Dale

Dennis Peacock
03-06-2007, 6:10 PM
For those of you that want to try segmenting. I'll be happy to do another step by step documentary with pics of the next one if you all would like.

OK Bill....I'm sitting here waiting for the documentary. ;) :rolleyes:

Bill Wyko
03-06-2007, 6:50 PM
I would have turned it in one piece but the lathe limits my ability to do so.:cool: When you're turning a segmented piece you are always cutting into the grain so the wood peels off like one continuous ribbon. If I could just sell a few pieces to pay for my new lathe I'll build all sorts of hollow forms, segmented pieces and anything else I can.:D

Malcolm Tibbetts
03-06-2007, 7:44 PM
Bill, it sure looks like you're having lots of fun and as others have said, you're making great progress. Nice piece.

Bill Wyko
03-06-2007, 7:51 PM
Thanks Malcolm. I designed this one on the program you recomended, wood turners studio. Thanks for the tip too.:D I just added one more pic to the origonal post too.

John Chandler
03-06-2007, 10:44 PM
That is very nice looking. I think you did a great job.

Jerry Clark
03-06-2007, 11:02 PM
WOW Bill, That is drop-dead gorgous! A perfect 10!:D

Brett Baldwin
03-07-2007, 12:07 AM
Great stuff Bill. I'd love to see your process in pictures. I'm really amazed at what you get from a mini.

John Hart
03-07-2007, 12:20 AM
Bill...I'm pretty impressed as well over your phenomenal progress. Tell me...what did you do with your other two wishes?:) ...And...can I have one?:o

Beautiful piece! :)

Mark Cothren
03-07-2007, 7:50 AM
Bill, this is some fantastic work! I love the shape/form and the wood flavors you chose (and the turqoise) seem to really fit/blend well together. Keep 'em coming!

Bill Wyko
03-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Thanks everyone, your opinions are very important to me. Most people don't even know what their looking at. They ask if it's pottery:eek: I also forgot one of the most important things and that is the segment count. This one has 865 pieces. I'm gonna break 1000 soon.:D Thanks again everyone.

Alfredo Rodriguez Garcia
03-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Bill,
a tutorial will be great.
Regards
Saludos cordiales
Alfredo

Bill Wyko
03-07-2007, 1:48 PM
I'll try to start another one this weekend. The next one may be a solid base and segmented top. I'm debating on cutting up this piece of burl eucalyptus or turning it solid and segmenting the top. Which way do you guys think?

Brett Baldwin
03-07-2007, 2:15 PM
I would suspect that you would lose a lot of the attractiveness of burl if you cut it up. Its the crazy but fluid grain that gives its appeal usually, at least to my mind. Then again, I could be wrong. Maybe a search for segmented projects with burl pieces is in order?

Eric Wong
03-07-2007, 8:08 PM
Absolutely amazing!