PDA

View Full Version : Sander Sitter

Chris Jenkins
03-06-2007, 9:23 AM
I'm sure lots of you out there have one of these little devices. I got one not to long ago and actually used it this past weekend.

Is it me or does this thing not work so great? I guess my point was, I put the sitter on the benchtop and then I put my PC 5" ROS VS running on speed 3 in the sitter and it just bounced the sitter and sander across the bench! Granted the sander stayed in the cradle.

Is it necessary to mount this thing to the bench to prevent it from walking?

Bob Michaels
03-06-2007, 9:27 AM
Unfortunately I also found it useless. Good news was that it was a freebie when I bought a sander.

Chris Jenkins
03-07-2007, 8:47 AM
I was thinking of making a downdraft table, I guess I'll just screw it down to that. Hopefully it will work better that way.

Lee Schierer
03-07-2007, 12:31 PM
Wow, am I glad I didn't let LOML talk me into one of those things. They sure look neat at the wood shows. Start a new post if you solve the wandering problem.

Jeff Towle
03-07-2007, 12:42 PM
I I guess my point was, I put the sitter on the benchtop and then I put my PC 5" ROS VS running on speed 3 in the sitter and it just bounced the sitter and sander across the bench! Granted the sander stayed in the cradle.

Is it necessary to mount this thing to the bench to prevent it from walking?Howdy all. New to the forum.
My understand of the sitter is that it's so you don't have to hold the sander while it winds down after you shut it off, not to hold the running sander.

Jeff

Bruce Page
03-07-2007, 12:48 PM
I consider mine pretty much a waste of money. The gummy rubber base does do a decent job of cleaning the sandpaper, which is about all I use mine for.

Royce Meritt
03-07-2007, 2:46 PM
And I thought I was probably the only one who found it to be pretty useless. I doubt I've used it twice in the several years I've owned it. Probably could find a way to attach it to the bench but who wants to take the time to attach it and then have to move it later when it is in the way.

For the record, it bounces across the work bench even as it is winding down, not when putting a runnig sander on it.

Dave Right
03-07-2007, 3:49 PM
I use my all the time. I turn the sander off and by the time I put it on the sitter there is just about 1/3 of the speed left.
It is not meant for the sander to run on. It does save me some time so I dont have to let it come to a complete stop each time .

glenn bradley
03-07-2007, 4:01 PM
I've never tried setting my sander in it while running; always just after I turn it off. The instructions do say you can set a sander down in it while running but I would expect it to go a-wandering. I did have to follow the directions in adjusting the tension for my particular sander (trial and error). Once set it works OK (not great) for getting the sander out of your hands while it runs down. Another downside, if I have the vacuum running to my sander it sucks the rubber disc out of the housing before I can get the sander set down. Oh well.

Martin Lutz
03-07-2007, 5:01 PM
It has holes in the bottom and access to those much like a lazy susan. When I am doing a lot of sanding I screw it down out the way. I like it. Saves me some time waiting for the sander to wind down.

everett lowell
03-07-2007, 5:02 PM
When I'm done I turn my sander off, and just put it on my bench and let it buzz around alittle untill she runs out of steam, heck my bench top needs alittle cleaning up anyway!:rolleyes: