PDA

View Full Version : Removing Stains from Granite

Dan Mages
03-06-2007, 9:22 AM
Hi all.

The never ending battle to put my house in sellable shape continues.

Today's battle is removing some stains from the kitchen's granite countertop. I called the granite installers and they recommended using a combo of flour and water and let that sit for a day. That did little more for the stains than make my kitchen smell like a sour dough starter.

Any granite workers here who have tips on removing organic stains from granite? I am not sure if they are water or oil based stains.

Thanks

Dan

David G Baker
03-06-2007, 9:23 AM
Dan,
Maybe hydrogen peroxide. It works on some things. Give it a try, I don't think it will hurt anything. Organic stains can be dissolved with Oxyclean (not sure on the spelling) as well.
David B

Joe Pelonio
03-06-2007, 9:41 AM
We were looking at granite and asked the salesperson at the home center about stains, she showed us a variety of products made specifically for granite and/or other solid surface countertops. Some were liquid, some powdered. They were located in the kitchen display area.

Mike Wilkins
03-06-2007, 9:49 AM
Go to your local big box store. In the section of the store where tile is located, you will find a product for cleaning marble that removes stains very well. I can't remember the name, but it is a paste product that draws the stain out of the pores. Works surprisingly well.
Good luck.

Belinda Barfield
03-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Dan,

I would stay away from the Oxiclean. Depending on the type of granite, you could damage the finish on the stone. I have used the flour paste occasionally but it doesn't work very well. I have been in the stone industry for six years now, and have had the most luck removing stains with K2R Upholstery Spot Remover. This is available at most grocery, BBRs. You will need K2R, a good plastic wrap (Glad or Saran), and a brush and dustpan or vacuum cleaner. Prior to treating the stain with K2R tear off a piece of plastic wrap larger than the spot you need to treat. Spray the K2R onto the spot and cover immediately with plastic wrap, pressing to make sure wrap sticks to granite. Leave several hours or overnight. Remove plastic, and carefully brush dust into dustpan or directly off counter into trash can. I would suggest wearing a mask for this step. Alternately, you could vacuum the dust but you need a vacuum with a HEPA filter. You may need to repeat this process several times to fully remove the stain.

PM me if you need any further help. There are several professional grade spot removers you can try. Good luck!

Dan Mages
03-06-2007, 12:27 PM
Dan,

I would stay away from the Oxiclean. Depending on the type of granite, you could damage the finish on the stone. I have used the flour paste occasionally but it doesn't work very well. I have been in the stone industry for six years now, and have had the most luck removing stains with K2R Upholstery Spot Remover. This is available at most grocery, BBRs. You will need K2R, a good plastic wrap (Glad or Saran), and a brush and dustpan or vacuum cleaner. Prior to treating the stain with K2R tear off a piece of plastic wrap larger than the spot you need to treat. Spray the K2R onto the spot and cover immediately with plastic wrap, pressing to make sure wrap sticks to granite. Leave several hours or overnight. Remove plastic, and carefully brush dust into dustpan or directly off counter into trash can. I would suggest wearing a mask for this step. Alternately, you could vacuum the dust but you need a vacuum with a HEPA filter. You may need to repeat this process several times to fully remove the stain.

PM me if you need any further help. There are several professional grade spot removers you can try. Good luck!
I will look for this stuff and try it on a scrap piece to make sure it does not damage the finish.

Thanks!

Dan Mages
03-06-2007, 12:28 PM
Go to your local big box store. In the section of the store where tile is located, you will find a product for cleaning marble that removes stains very well. I can't remember the name, but it is a paste product that draws the stain out of the pores. Works surprisingly well.
Good luck.

I've seen that stuff and it costs a fortune due to good marketing practices. There are other methods using standard household chemicals that will only cost me a couple of dollars.

Thanks,

Dan

Tim Boger
03-06-2007, 8:58 PM
Make a poltice of Plaster of Paris and Lacquer Thinner, make it about the consistancy of thick honey. Cover the stained area with the mixture then cover the whole mess with plastic wrap and tape the edges of the plastic to the granite top.

Let it set over night and have a look at it in the morning, should help.

Tim

Ben Grunow
03-06-2007, 9:11 PM
I used brake cleaner on marble one time (yes really). The back hoe blew a hydraulic hose and it sprayed all over a marble building. It worked but that was on rough marble, no polish. Might try it after all these other ideas?