PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to upgrade my benchtop table saw?

Charles Jackson III
03-06-2007, 9:14 AM
I am wonder will my Delta benchtop saw handle hardwoods? like maple, cherry, purpleheart and anykind of hardwood? I think I need to upgrade if I wont make fine furniture.

frank shic
03-06-2007, 10:01 AM
if you're going to be making fine furniture, i'd consider getting a band saw to saw those thicker and possibly curved pieces like legs for chairs and tables and to resaw thicker widths for bookmatched panels.

Charles Jackson III
03-06-2007, 10:26 AM
I am planinning on saving up for a 14'' Grizzly G0580 Bandsaw.

Paul Johnstone
03-06-2007, 11:05 AM
I started with a benchtop saw too.

The problems:

Fence is difficult to align and get accurate readings. Yours might be better, but with mine, I had to get a tape measure and framing square every time to set distance and make sure it was square. I also had to clamp down the back of the fence.

You are also really limited in the lengths of boards you can rip, unless you build outfeed tables, etc.

If you don't have it bolted down to a heavy stand, it can tend to tip when doing big rip cuts.

If you have the money and think you will be doing this hobby for awhile, invest in a full sized table saw with a nice fence. Even a contractor's saw (what I use) is a huge improvement and makes the hobby much more enjoyable.

Kevin Scott
03-06-2007, 11:31 AM
The problems:

Fence is difficult to align and get accurate readings. Yours might be better, but with mine, I had to get a tape measure and framing square every time to set distance and make sure it was square. I also had to clamp down the back of the fence.

You are also really limited in the lengths of boards you can rip, unless you build outfeed tables, etc.

If you don't have it bolted down to a heavy stand, it can tend to tip when doing big rip cuts.

If you have the money and think you will be doing this hobby for awhile, invest in a full sized table saw with a nice fence. Even a contractor's saw (what I use) is a huge improvement and makes the hobby much more enjoyable.

I fully agree with Paul on the drawbacks of a benchtop table saw. I have a benchtop Craftsman and these have been my biggest issues. Table saws also "scare" me a bit and I am thinking about moving away from them all together.

Most of my cutting is done with a bandsaw or miter saw. I purchased a Grizzly ultimate bandsaw last summer (#G0555) and am extremely happy with it! I use it for a lot of the tasks that I used the table saw for (ie ripping boards), plus it offers me a whole lot more functionality (ie cutting curves). I am considering purchasing the EZ System so that I can cut sheet goods easily. I honestly think that the bandsaw / miter saw / EZ System combo could cover everything that I would use the table saw for.

Charles Jackson III
03-06-2007, 11:36 AM
Ok guys thanks for the help, my table saw tips a little when I try to rip long boards. I might just upgrade to a contractor saw, but I am going to get the bandsaw first.

Rod Sheridan
03-06-2007, 12:04 PM
Hi Charles, a bandsaw will not rip in a straight line like a tablesaw.

I would suggest a contractor type tablesaw, and a dust collector, followed by a jointer and planer at a later date.

The jointer and planer will allow you to convert rough material into straight, parallel surface wood, which is the first step in cabinet making.

A nice contractor saw, with cast iron top, belt drive, and a good fence will serve you for years, or decades. Add a dado blade for rebating and dadoeing, a rip and crosscut blade and you will be all set.

You can build all kinds of jigs and sleds for you contractor saw to allow you to crosscut panels accurately, cut tenons etc.

A bandsaw is a very useful machine, I use mine for roughing out turning blanks, re-sawing (splitting a board along the thin dimension), cutting curves etc. In my opinion, it is not a substitute for a table saw.

Welcome to the forum, we look forward to learning from, and with you....Rod.

J Simpson
03-06-2007, 12:05 PM
If money is tight, you can always do what I did. I kept looking, and eventually bought an older Craftsman (Emerson made) contractors saw for $100. I then sold my newer Craftsman benchtop saw for $80, so I was only out $20.00. The difference between the saws is amazing, and even better once I put an upgraded fence on the contractors saw. There are lots of older, but still in good shape Craftsman and Delta contractors saws that can be bought for not much money. Worth keeping an eye out for a good deal.

Charles Jackson III
03-06-2007, 2:00 PM
Well I am on planning on getting some hand planes.

James Carmichael
03-06-2007, 3:06 PM
Charles,

2-pennies worth from someone who's been down the road:

I started WW about 3 1/2 years ago with a cheap benchtop saw (had a stand, but it was still a BT). After about 3 months, it went back to sears. I simply could no stand the noise, vibration, small table. Plus the miter slots were so cheesy, I couldn't even make a crosscut sled.

I've been making do with a Ridgid bandsaw, jointer, & planer, but recently got the itch for a TS again, so I bought an old Craftsman belt-drive contractor saw with cast-iron (grate type) wings. I cannot believe how much smoother and quiter even this inexpensive old clunker is compared that screaming, direct-drive banshee. And this is without adding any upgrades, such as link belt, pulley, etc.

I've got some work to do on it, but I'm sure looking forward to nice straight rips with smooth edges that don't have to be jointed and cutting dadoes much faster and quiter than with the router.

frank shic
03-06-2007, 4:01 PM
charles, get yourself one of those festool domino's while they're still discounted. you'll save yourself an immeasurable amount of time and money compared to dedicated and space-stealing mortising/tenon jigs/machines.

Ted Miller
03-06-2007, 4:20 PM
Charles, I think most of us if not all have been down your road. Over the years I learned not to just settle for what money I had in my pocket. I figured out what tools I needed for the work or projects I am going to do. Then I saved and shopped around til I found my equipment. 90% of my large machines came from classifieds in my area, great deals and great equipment can be found.

I can build just about anything with my RAS and TS, I could not work without either item. I have had the same TS for many years and still going strong. Accurate, powerful, quite, no vibration and it weighs more than me...