PDA

View Full Version : Football Case

Lars Thomas
12-13-2003, 1:28 AM
I have been asked to make a few (six) football cases for a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers. I am a huge football fan, so I am very excited to 'tackle' this project. I'm actually a Ravens fan, so I am selling out in way. But oh well.

I've checked on-line and frankly, was disappointed at the commercial offerings. I recalled seeing one here, so I went back and found the one built by Mark Valsi. That's along the lines of what I'm thinking of (sans the table). I liked the way Mark's case was larger then the ball (both taller and wider). I certainly want to incorporate glass sides and a mirrored back. I was thinking I would make it out of maple so the ball would stand out better. But the idea of using cherry to better 'blend' in with the ball seems intriguing too. Or what about using black and yellow wood (for the Steelers). I can think of a few options for 'black' wood. But, is there a 'yellow' wood?

I'd like to include some design details that are symbolic of the Steelers (hmm . . .I wonder if there is anyway I can include some metal). Can any Steelers fans think of a design detail that maybe important to a Steeler. I wonder if there is some interesting architectural element on Hientz field? What do you guys think of a some type of cove molding with laser engraved footballs (think footballs laid end to end) or Steeler Logos? Keith/Arron - can you engrave on a small (as in tight radius) concave surface?

How about lighting? I'd be somewhat concerned about heat in the enclosed case. But there must be some type of lights (i.e.: LED) that puts off little heat.

Any ideas and/or pixs that you guys (and girls) are willing to share, I'd love to hear. Thanks. Lars

Kevin Gerstenecker
12-13-2003, 7:34 AM
Lars, this sounds like an awesome project! One idea for the Yellow Wood you asked about would be YellowHeart. It is a vibrant Yellow Color, and has beautiful grain and a somewhat irredescent look to it. Osage Orange would be another Yellow colored wood option, but my experience with Osage is that is will dull to a orangish brown color over time. I have attached a picture of a small box I made some time ago using Yellowheart so you can get an idea of the look. I also thing the engraving idea would add a very nice, professional touch to it. This project could open all sorts of opportunities down the road. Good luck with it, and let us know what you come up with as far as design ideas and the like. Great project............!!! :)

Jason Roehl
12-13-2003, 7:35 AM
As for a yellow wood, only one comes to mind for me, and that's osage orange. The problem is, as I understand it, that it does not stay yellow, it will eventually go brownish. Or, you could (gasp!) use "yellow" pine--and just say, "it's the thought that counts." :D

Sounds like a neat opportunity, though!

Todd Burch
12-13-2003, 9:13 AM
Lars, this sounds like a fun project.

For yellow wood, I woud use maple or birch, or other light wood and a yellow toner. Look into the ML Campbell Microton Toners. Spray application only, but you could get it as yellow as a lemon in no time flat. You could always use a yellow oil based paint, or a yellow opaque lacquer too. If you use an open pore wood, you still get the essence of it piece being made of wood, as the pores will show in the paint or lacquer quite well.

For lighting, I just bought a very cool-burning light from my local electronic parts outlet. It is a cold cathode tube light. It is about the size & shape of a drinking straw, and has a life of 15,000 hours. For one light kit, (the light tube, about 12" long, all wiring, a switch and a mounting fixture), it was less than $23.00. I also purchased a 12volt regulated power supply (plug-in transformed with lead) for about $14 to go with it. When on, it is just slightly luke warm. It puts out nice even bright light. I bought white, but they also have pink, blue, organge, etc. I think this might be the same type of light that some cars nuts use under their vehicles. My application will be inside a cabinet to light a hidden safe under the bottom shelf panel. Very low profile.

As far as logos for the steelers, I'm thinking the colored diamonds that are on the helmets would be a nice look, as they are multi-colored. You could either mask off and paint them, or, do inlays, or even raised inlays like an intarsia do give it a 3D effect. You could also inlay/intarsia this person's jersey #.

There are companies now that can can also imprint full color photos on wood panels. If you have a photo of this person in action (kicking, throwing, blocking, touch-down dancing, etc.), you might could do a subtle imprint in the back panel(s) of the case (subtle meaning like a watermark). Engraving is an option too. I found a company in Houston the other day that can engrave pieces 66" x 120". That's HUGE!

Gloss black paint/lacquer somewhere would be nice too. (I would use lacquer.)

Keep us posted.

Doug Littlejohn
12-13-2003, 12:56 PM
I built one with my stepson years ago for him. We used maple, about 1/2. We left the top and front open and then bought Plexiglass (acrylic sheet) about 3/8. Made the top and bottom out of the plastic, glued together along the front top and hinged the back (brass rod). It made a real nice case.

Please do us a treat and show us pictures when you're done!!

Lars Thomas
12-14-2003, 1:00 PM
You guys have come up with some good suggestions - although not too sure about that Yellow Pine idea :D. The idea of some black lacquer sounds interesting. I once made a mahogany humidor with lacquered 'feet'. That had a neat look (IMO). Well guys, if you think of anything else, please let me know. Thanks. Lars

Chris Padilla
12-18-2003, 1:34 PM
Hey Todd...are you an old Oilers' fan? Great Rivalry in the 70s-80s between Houston and Pittsburgh. "Hate Ya Blu!" ;)

Chris

Todd Burch
12-18-2003, 1:57 PM
The Oilers sucked, and Bud Adams was the lips. Want me to tell you how I really feel?!!

Although, I have to admit the Steelers were the big rivalry at the time. My wife is the football fan in our house.