PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw Tilt

Syd Lorandeau
03-05-2007, 10:15 PM
Hi Guys,
I am about to up grade to a new cabinet table saw and can get a big break on money (about $200) if I am willing to go with a Right tilt over the Left tilt. I do limited woodworking so have not yet run into why one is better than the other. Can someone help me out as to advantages or disadvanges??
Thank in advance. Syd

Gary Keedwell
03-05-2007, 10:46 PM
I think you can get accustomed to either. The right tilt was standard for many years in the past. I have the right tilt but never tried the left.
Gary K.

glenn bradley
03-05-2007, 10:50 PM
This may start a big conversation about safety. Right tilt proponents will say that right tilt is no more dangerous than left tilt. This will be supported by various stories of the origination of one tilt or the other. Left tilt proponents will have an equal number of comments to offer along with their supporting stories.

I am more comfortable when cutting bevels when I am not capturing the material between the fence and the blade. If this didn't make sense, picture it in your mind; the fence is to your right, you are making a 45 degree bevel cut. With the blade tilting left the waste is "under" the blade and can escape (if necessary) onto the open portion of the table to the left of the blade. With the blade tilting to the right, your "keeper" is "under" the blade and tight against the fence.

With a properly set up saw and proper technique it is probably a matter of preference. You may want to consider which side of the cabinet the motor cover is on and will that factor in if you want to add a saw mounted router table or build a cabinet under the extension wing.

Von Bickley
03-06-2007, 7:43 AM
Syd,
This topic will get a lot of opinions. I have used the Left tilt and the Right tilt. I presently have a Right tilt in my shop, and that will be my last Right tilt.
I will NEVER have another Right tilt in my shop and I think they should rename it to "The Wrong Tilt".

Just my opinion......;)

Mark Pruitt
03-06-2007, 7:59 AM
I had a right tilt for about 13 years. One year ago I bought a left tilt. Between the two, I have no strong preferences. I've found neither one to be "easier" or "safer" than the other. To me it's just a matter of working with the one you have. However, let me say that in reality I make the overwhelming percentage of cuts at 90*. If you've found a deal where a rightie is significantly less than a leftie, I'd grab it. But the real question is, what are you most comfortable with.

Kyle Kraft
03-06-2007, 9:10 AM
If this is a new saw, why the price difference? In all the catalogs I get, I've never seen a left tilt saw priced higher than a right tilt....they are both the same $$ just a model # change.

I have used both types of saws, and I feel safer with a lefty tilt. Which type do you feel safer using?? When you answer that question you'll know which one to buy.

Jason Hallowell
03-06-2007, 10:48 AM
The majority of right handed people will feel safer using a left tilt saw for most common applications, but I agree with the others that what matters is what you feel best using. My father is left handed, and he taught me how to use a TS on his right tilt saw, and while I can use both comfortably, I prefer a right tilt even though I am right handed.

Syd Lorandeau
03-06-2007, 1:00 PM
Thanks guys for the imput. As I have use right tilt all my life I might as well stick with it.
Syd

Jeffrey Makiel
03-06-2007, 1:21 PM
Syd,
My first saw was a left tilt contractor style saw (about 20 years ago). Then one day I upgraded to a Delta Unisaw. After having it about a month, I had to make a beveled cut and I discovered that my fancy new saw tilted the wrong way! :p

At first, I thought it was assembled wrong. But this was not the case. How could a top rate company make a saw that has a trapped cut when the fence is on the right side of the blade?

I still have the saw, but when I do a beveled rip, I move the fence to the left side of the blade. But all is not well for I am limited by how much I can move the fence to the left of the blade, and I cannot install a sliding table because the fence rails would get in the way. So, no nifty sliding table for me. Oh well.

One thing that I would note: Manufacturers of right tilt saws now offer left tilt models also. Manufacturers of left tilt saw continue to only offer left tilt saws.

Just my opinion, nothing else.
-Jeff :)

Rick Moyer
03-06-2007, 4:49 PM
Hi Guys,
I am about to up grade to a new cabinet table saw and can get a big break on money (about $200) if I am willing to go with a Right tilt over the Left tilt. I do limited woodworking so have not yet run into why one is better than the other. Can someone help me out as to advantages or disadvanges??
Thank in advance. Syd

Syd, I read alot about this when I was contemplating a new saw(still didn't buy yet!). The way I see it is ea. has benefits, but the biggest reaon for me would be whether I would do more dadoes, or more bevels.
The left tilt is better suited for bevels. Safer as the saw won't trap the cut-off between the blade and the fence. The right tilt is better for dadoes as the fence measurements would not have to account for the width of the dado, because of how the blades are stacked onto the arbor. It really comes down to personal preference, and what YOU want to do with it, and how comfortable you are with the way it works.
Do a Google search for left-tilt / right-tilt saws and you'll be able to read for a LONG time.