PDA

View Full Version : I'll NEVER wear eye goggles again!!

Glen Blanchard
03-05-2007, 9:41 PM
No, I have not lost my mind. I wear glasses and as such, have always put goggles over my glasses when using most power tools. Goggles - you know the kind - those cheap huge plastic things that scratch easily, are cumbersome, are always coated in sawdust, etc., etc. Went to Lenscrafters today with my new eye Rx and had them make me some ANSI compliant glasses with side shields. Wore them in the shop for the first time this afternoon. What a pleasure not having to search for those lousy goggles anymore. I can see much better than I ever could with those goggles. They have been put up in a cabinet and I hope to never wear them again.

Simple things excite me.

Jim Becker
03-05-2007, 9:44 PM
Yea, "real" glasses are the peach. You may want to see if you can get some optically transparent film that can be applied to them to protect against CA spatter and the like for longer life. But regardless...good move on your part. The right tool for the job!

Justin Dreier
03-05-2007, 9:55 PM
Ah... I feel your relief. I had lasik this year and dropped the glasses all together. Now I can wear the simple shop glasses, instead of fitting the big covers over my old glasses. I thought about just getting prescription sunglasses and shop glasses as well.

glenn bradley
03-05-2007, 9:56 PM
I've got some on the way. Dad's an eye doc. Can't wait! The best part is I'll be wearing them all the time. There goes that temptation to make 'just this one cut'.

John Bush
03-05-2007, 9:58 PM
Good Job Glenn,

I thought you would have you Orascoptic Research 4.0s out there measuring microns. JCB.

Glen Blanchard
03-05-2007, 10:00 PM
Good Job Glenn,

I thought you would have you Orascoptic Research 4.0s out there measuring microns. JCB.

Actually, I got my Orascoptics retrofitted with my new Rx today as well. Those are for the "other" shop though.

Greg Cuetara
03-05-2007, 10:55 PM
I know some don't like the big blue beast but wally world has some great deals on prescription safety glasses. I just picked mine up for $47. $27 for the frames and then $20 for polycarbonate lenses. I was told not to get the anti-glare becuase it scratches very easily so just get the regular scratch resistant coating. They also have frames for a little more expensive but for $47 there is no excuse out there to not get rx safety glasses. I always ran into the problem when I put the big safety glasses over my rx glasses they fogged up and that really isn't safe. I hope with my new glasses I will be able to see good and be safe. Like Norm says always remember your safety glasses.

Rob Millard
03-06-2007, 7:00 AM
I'm going to do the same thing when I get new glasses.
I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy and use glasses and a face shield when using any kind of power tool, other than the scroll saw.
Rob Millard