PDA

View Full Version : Source for 6" PVC dust collection pipe in Albuquerque area

Tri Hoang
03-05-2007, 9:07 PM
Hi,

I am new to smc and it's my first post. I just got around to setting up a cyclone DC system after spending some time researching it on Bill Perentz website. I am having trouble locating a source for 6" PVC dust pipe in the Albuquerque area. I tried the home centers but none carried pipe that size.
Thanks.

--Tri

Jim Becker
03-05-2007, 9:13 PM
Tri, welcome to SMC!!

Get out your yellow pages and check for irrigation suppliers as well as plumbing suppliers for the 6" S&D pipe.

Peter Russell
03-05-2007, 10:14 PM
I seem to remember there is a static electricity spark issue with that stuff ?
Solution is earth wire inside pipe maybe ?

Pete

Peter Russell
03-05-2007, 10:16 PM
googled it...yep
http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/PVC_piping.html

Pete

Justin Dreier
03-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Tri - Although I'm not in your area. I had the same problem last year. I ended up calling a couple plumbers to see where they go for 6" S&D. If they do larger plumbing jobs, they will know where to get it at. I found a supply house that is a wholesale supply. They don't get homeowner traffic, but they didn't mind pulling up a small order for me.

Jim O'Dell
03-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Tri, do a Google search for: Morrison Supply Company click the first entry (I'd post a link here, but Web (NON)Sense has me blocked!). They have one or more locations in NM. I got my pipe from them locally. Didn't have fittings, or didn't know they have fittings. When you call, don't call it SD 2729. Call it 6" thin wall gravity feed pipe...they can find it that way. Seems like it is 1.86/foot plus tax. I did get my last 3 sections for half that!! A guy there took a liking to my van full of dog crates and stereo system. :D Let me know if you have trouble with them locating the pipe, I'll find the part number. One guy in Houston had to do that to get it there. Jim.

Ken Garlock
03-06-2007, 11:51 AM
I seem to remember there is a static electricity spark issue with that stuff ?
Solution is earth wire inside pipe maybe ?

Pete

Hi Bruce, not to be argumentative, but that static spark problem has pretty well been relegated to myth pile. Read this posting (http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rodec/woodworking/articles/DC_myths.html) regarding pvc pipe sparking.

Jim O'Dell
03-06-2007, 11:51 AM
On the static question, I've been running a lot of OSB lately, and I've cut some fiberglass/plastic sheets, and some MDF, but not a lot. No problems at all. I felt a little static on the back of my hand one day, touched the pipe, no shock at all. I see it as a non issue. Jim.

Peter Russell
03-06-2007, 2:33 PM
Hi Bruce, not to be argumentative, but that static spark problem has pretty well been relegated to myth pile. Read this posting (http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rodec/woodworking/articles/DC_myths.html) regarding pvc pipe sparking.

Great article Ken .
Looks like static is virtually a non issue then .
Better safe than sorry :)
cheers
Pete

Ray Scheller
03-06-2007, 7:09 PM
I live in Albuquerque and I've found 6" PVC pipe at several plumbing supply houses. Summit is one Winndustrial is another.

Jim O'Dell
03-06-2007, 8:10 PM
OK, I looked it up and Morrison Supply does have an outlet in Albuquerque:
Chad Thompson
Branch Manager
6805 Zuni SE
Albuquerque, NM 87108-3122
PH (505) 265-6102
FX (505) 265-8738

Looks like with the other dealers mentioned, you'll have several to choose from. Price the fittings you need. McMaster-Carr on line had the best prices I could find on 6-6-6 wyes, and 45 els. Maybe the locations you have to choose from will have some fittings as well. You might ask for fittings for 3034 (green) pipe, as they are the same fittings. I failed to think about asking Morrison here last time I was in. Happy hunting!! Jim.

Tri Hoang
03-07-2007, 12:05 AM
I'll post pics of my completed system when done :p