PDA

View Full Version : One More Dimpled and Dyed

Keith Burns
03-05-2007, 8:47 PM
Black Cherry crotch (thanks Mark Cothren). 12-1/2" dia. x about 2" tall. Dimpled rim with Dremal tool. Airbrushed dye with Deft lacquer and buffed outside. Antique oil and buffed inside. In retrospect I think I should have dyed the inside and left the outside natural so I would love to hear what you think. Thanks for looking.

John Hart
03-05-2007, 8:55 PM
Nope...I respectfully disagree. I think it's fantastic just the way it is. The natural grain as the main focal point is wonderful...with the dye underneath as a secondary highlight. Just my opinion of course....But since I'm on your list, I felt I should voice it.;) :)

Brian McInturff
03-05-2007, 9:07 PM
I'd have to agree with John. I think it's much better this way. What dye did you use, Mixol, Transtints? Inquiring minds want to know. This gives me a great idea for the upcoming football season. Oh, and the dimples really add to it also. Great piece Keith!!
Brian

John Chandler
03-05-2007, 10:23 PM
Nice looking piece. I am going to agree with John as well - I like the natural look being what you see most and the color serving as a highlight. Good job.

Bernie Weishapl
03-05-2007, 10:24 PM
I disagree to Keith. I like it the way it is. Nice form, finish and beautiful job.

Jeff Moffett
03-05-2007, 10:42 PM
Keith, I love the dimples and the dye. I agree with others that this piece has enough interesting grain on the inside of the bowl, so I think you took the right approach. It might also provide an eye-catching contrast with the top of the rim dyed in addition to the entire bottom.

Steve Schlumpf
03-05-2007, 10:55 PM
Geat looking bowl Keith! I like the dye on the outside of the bowl - allows the natural wood to stand out. Great concept, finish and form!

Neal Addy
03-06-2007, 12:21 AM
Wow! Nice, Keith. I read the subject and was surprised when I opened the thread. Wasn't expecting that.

Beautiful work!

Mark Pruitt
03-06-2007, 8:13 AM
Great looking piece! I agree with the others that you made the right choice. IMHO it would have a "top-heavy" look to it if you had dyed the inside, if that makes sense. The one thing I might have suggested would have been to dye the rim in addition to the outside.

Frank Kobilsek
03-06-2007, 8:41 AM
Keith
If you were to do it again I agree with Mark that dying the rim, then dimpling through the dye would add some pop to the piece. Real nice bowl.
Frank

jeremy levine
03-06-2007, 8:50 AM
I think you should have found a way to make a dozen. It is really nice

Mike Ramsey
03-06-2007, 10:46 AM
I think that the rim colored would be better..... but then again I would
have to see it before I chose, so therefore It's great just like it is.

Jonathon Spafford
03-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Excellent bowl... the grain in that wood is beautiful! The dyeing and dimpling really add nicely. Do you use a needle scaler or a dremel for the dimpling?

Keith Burns
03-06-2007, 1:31 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Unlike my other dimpled and dyed pieces I really struggled with this one. My first idea was to just dye the dimpled rim between the lines and then dimple it but after dying it it just didn't look right to me. In retrospect I think I would dye the bottom and the dimpled section leaving the small outside of the rim natural along with the inside.

Johnathan, I used a Dremal tool with a ball burr. I have a needle scaler but it doesn't give the look I wanted.

Thanks

Frank Kobilsek
03-06-2007, 2:09 PM
Keith

I tried to dye a band on the rim of a maple plate and then use my Sorbey Texture tool on the dyed area. I gave it the 5 minutes it takes for the dye to dry and when I turned on the lathe to dimple the dye bloomed on the end grain of the outside edge of the plate. Looked bad to me, Nita didn't notice, so now that plate is 'used'.

I had other troubles with painting the thin dye on the band without it running into areas I wanted natural.

You figure this part out let me know.

Frank

Dennis Peacock
03-06-2007, 6:16 PM
Outstanding Keith. Nice display of creativity and artistic touch. I like it just as it is. :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
03-06-2007, 6:48 PM
Keith......I like it the way it is but.......I agree with some of the others....dying the band on the rim and then dimpling it would add some visual interest and make a graceful transition from the dyed bottom to the natural interior..............Just the opinion of another LISTED individual....:D

Keith Burns
03-06-2007, 9:04 PM
Yup Ken, you are on my LIST right along with John and Neal:D

Mark Cothren
03-07-2007, 8:18 AM
Nice work, Keith! This proves one thing: Arky wood is good enough that it makes turning simple enough that even a cave man can do it....:D

Keith Burns
03-07-2007, 11:54 AM
Ok Mark, you have offically been added to my LIST !!:eek: