PDA

View Full Version : Freud Glue Line Rip blade

Jake Helmboldt
03-05-2007, 8:27 PM
I just got mine and was excited to have a dedicated rip blade. After making comparison cuts in soft and hardwoods w/ it and a CMT think kerf 50-tooth FTG combo, the CMT was much smoother in both woods.

What gives? Granted the Freud doesn't burn in maple and has an easier feed and breezed on through, but "Glue Line" led me to believe I'd get a nice swirl-free cut (as was the case w/ the CMT combo).

JH

Tri Hoang
03-05-2007, 9:18 PM
I had problems with ripping before as well..even with the FWW II and a dedicated rip blade. For me, it's the act of pushing the wood through smoothly starting the the stand, shifting of the body, and follow though that gets me a nice edge. The rip blade only helps reduce the pressure required to push the wood and widen the range of pushing speed in which the blade won't burn the wood.

Bart Leetch
03-05-2007, 10:17 PM
Jake

I have a GLR blade & it is probable 1 of the best blades I have. Have you ever watched your blade run down to see if there is any wobble side to side? What Tri said is very true. You may even try a feather board just ahead of the blade sometimes this helps.

Kevin Blunt
03-05-2007, 10:21 PM
I own that blade and find it doesn't cut nearly as well when the blade is set higher than it needs to be. I discovered this and when I put the blade back down where it should just above the wood being cut it made a big difference in cut quality.

Bruce Wrenn
03-05-2007, 10:41 PM
A couple of weeks ago, I ripped about 500 ft of 1/4 X3/4 edging for a set of cubbies. I tried several blades to see which one required the least amout of work. This included trips through the planner to clean up rips. Blades were as follows: Forrest WWII, DeWalt 7657, Freud 30 GLR, and Freud LU 84. All blades had less than 100 feet of wood over them prior to "test". The LU 84 produced the best cut, with almost no burning. The GLR was the fastest, but time was lost at the planner due to extra passes required to clean up cut.

Gary Keedwell
03-05-2007, 10:53 PM
I have the GLR and examined it with a loupe the other day and was surprised to see many little chips on alot of the teeth. This blade isn't that old and the only thing I can think of is that maybe it isn't made for cutting plywood since I've been doing alot of it recently .