PDA

View Full Version : Photo Help Please!

James & Zelma Litzmann
03-05-2007, 6:14 PM
I know I am seeming to be really needy today . . . all I can say is "SORRY". Hey when you scan a photo, then you bring it into Corel, then take it to Corel Photo Paint to remove the background, if it becomes too jagged around the edges, what did I do wrong?

Thank you all for being so patient with us.

God Bless,
Zelma (Psalms 18:2)

Joe Pelonio
03-05-2007, 6:16 PM
Did you remove the background by using the eraser tool or what?

Frank Corker
03-05-2007, 6:16 PM
I suspect the actual size of the scan is a lot less than you realise. What you are probably seeing is the edging of the pixels. Are you scanning at a good size, makes a big difference?

James & Zelma Litzmann
03-05-2007, 6:22 PM
I tried the eraser tool, but there is not enough contrast (I think), it took out some of the people, so then I tried the freehand mask tool, that's when it became jagged. This is a picture of a father and what looks to be a 17 year old girl, I know she's older but it really upset me when they told me she was in Iraq, anyhow I really, really want to get this right.

I'll try to rescan and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks and God Bless,
Zelma

Judith Halliday
03-05-2007, 6:28 PM
Make a copy of the picture with your scanner and cut out what you want with a good ole pair of sharp scissors. Then rescan the photo on top of a white sheet.

Sometimes we become so dependant on technology that we forget the old tricks.

No jagged edges from the scissors.:D

Newbie to the creek.

James & Zelma Litzmann
03-05-2007, 6:28 PM
Hey Frank, I hate to impose but does this look right?

George M. Perzel
03-05-2007, 6:33 PM
Hi Zelma;
Email me the pic and I'll get it right back to you.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts
gperzel@rochester.rr.com

Nick Napier
03-05-2007, 8:41 PM
Hello, I remove background all the time to put pictures on dogtags. If your picture is that pixilated on the edges you might not have scanned in at a highenough resolution. If you would like me to look at it and see what I can do...scan in at least 300 dpi and send it to me. woodworknick@yahoo.com I'll work on it for you.

Nick

Mike Null
03-05-2007, 9:43 PM
Zelma:

You can scan it in to photopaint with out going to draw first. I agree with others; scan at least at 300dpi.

Then use image, cut out lab. There is a good tutorial in photopaint about using cut out lab and it doesn't take much time to become fairly proficient.

good luck.

Frank Corker
03-05-2007, 10:17 PM
Zelma from what I see of your image there it is definitely down to low resolution scanning. Check the settings on your scanner and up it. On a screen it only needs to be 72dpi but for printing purposes it needs to be upward of 150.

You can send it to my email if you wish and I will have a look but it's pretty certain to me that your scanner settings are for 'email' settings.

James & Zelma Litzmann
03-05-2007, 10:51 PM
Hey, thanks everyone, I am at home tonight, but when I get back to the shop in the a.m., I will look at the scanning again. Talk to you all tomorrow.

Thanks you for all your help.

Zelma