PDA

View Full Version : New planer glamour shots

J.R. Rutter
03-05-2007, 4:38 PM
Last year, I bought a heavy duty planer to replace my 20" Shop Fox. It didn't ship until after the new year, and I finally got it tuned up and into service last month. It is sort of an oddball in that it does not have segmented feed or chipbreaker, but I learned to work with that on the Shop Fox, so it isn't that big a deal to me. The previous owner put the Shelix head in, along with bearings. He also installed a ProScale digital height gauge (and did a nice job).

It is a Rockwell/Invicta RC-63 (24 3/4" wide capacity) mfg in 1983. Original 7 1/2 HP motor. Cast iron everything, including the hinged lid over the cutterhead. Someone did some drilling on the starter control plate at some point, which is a shame, but doesn't affect anything except cosmetics. It is a 4-screw raise/lower setup, so the bed is well supported and shouldn't rock around.

When we first tried it, we got bad snipe. Lived with it for a few days until the weekend when I could take the lid off and see what was going on. Turns out the pressure bar was on upside-down, so it wasn't contacting the wood at all after the cutterhead. No wonder it was sniping. Turns out that it needed to have 1/64" of steel filed off each end to get it back to flat. While I was at it, I filed the outside edges of the chipbreaker to get it closer to flat as well. It is like a whole different machine with everything set properly and the spring tension dialed in.

Before I bought it, I checked into used SCMI planers and the new crop of Taiwanese/Chinese insert head digital control planers. It was interesting to see that SCMI and others are offering the current models with Shelix heads as opposed to the straight inserts. But the price was right on this one, and I don't mind hand cranking the bed up and down once in a while!

Couldn't resist posting a few shots of the beastie!

Jack Ganssle
03-05-2007, 4:43 PM
J.R.,

That's a stunning machine. Congrats!

Jack

Ted Miller
03-05-2007, 10:54 PM
JR, Nice tank you have there, I love it, makes you want to slim some wood right now...

lou sansone
03-06-2007, 4:58 AM
nice machine. I almost bought one myself. missed it at auction. SC MI used to partner with Rockwell and co-produced that planer. the only problem I have heard folks have with the RC-63 is that the table will work its way down after a while. Some folks have resorted to placing a strap on the hand wheel to keep it from doing that unintentionally. nice machine and best wishes
Lou

Rick Lizek
03-06-2007, 9:26 AM
I'm not sure if SCMI had anything to do with that planer. I recall in the 70's it was a different model SCMI had with the Delta name on it. Invicta was behind the RC63 and a lot of the big machines from the late 70's I recall. Several sliders, big table saws and the 16" jointer.
As far as the table dropping, that's not really a problem. The fact it drops means the table is lined up perfectly on the posts. My simple solution is to remove the bolt and handwheel and slip on a pice of PVC tubing 2-3/4" long and replace the handle and substitute a thumbscrew for the bolt or weld a washer to the bolt as a makeshft thumbscrew. Tightening the thumbscrew locks the handle to keep the table from dropping.

J.R. Rutter
03-06-2007, 3:51 PM
I looked at an old 1970s 20" SCMI before I went this direction. Aside from the conventional cutterhead with grinder, it had the segmented feed system. The owner said that the single piece infeed roller was better for taking off less than 1/16" because the edges of the rollers tend to dig into board edges deeper than that.

So far no problem with the table. The handwheel has a lock that seems to hold it tight. The ProScale is an original incremental version instead of the absolute, but it is dead easy to recalibrate when the batteries get changed.

I was burning down some boards to make 3/8" panels yesterday and took off 3/16" per pass, overlapping boards occaisionally. Deluxe!

Ted Miller
03-06-2007, 4:00 PM
Thats a serious pass...

lou sansone
03-06-2007, 8:14 PM
well, I could be wrong on that planer, but there was a partnership between the two companies and if you look here you will see what I mean

http://www.exfactory.com/seephoto.aspx?photo=PL/01095702.JPG&recnum=PL%2D010957

there are a bunch of other scmi planers that seem similar. seems to me that someone was sharing prints with one another.

best wishes
lou

Ron Brese
03-06-2007, 8:21 PM
J.R. That thing is a "HOSS", and a Big Hoss at that!

Ron

J.R. Rutter
03-06-2007, 11:27 PM
It has been my biggest equipment investment to date, aside from the dust collection system. Now I'm saving for the wide belt sander!

The Rockwell/Invicta and Rockwell/SCMI stuff does look as though the same basic design ideas got spread around. You can see it in the old shapers as well, like the SCMI T120.

http://www.exfactory.com/seephoto.aspx?photo=SH/14008101.JPG&recnum=SH%2D270065

Steve Jenkins
03-07-2007, 8:20 PM
Looks good JR
Nothing like a good sized planer with lots of power

Jude Tuliszewski
03-07-2007, 9:21 PM
Nice, way massive hunk-o-irn. Would like to have one that big when I get the space.:D