PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new router... any advice?

Jamie Hargrave
03-05-2007, 4:19 PM
Hi there, I'm new to the forum... and to woodworking as a hobby! I'm looking for a new router, and am not sure what to buy. The primary use of the router will be in a table, but as I can't afford to buy a bunch of routers for different jobs, it would be nice if I could use it out of the table as well. I have been looking at the Tritons both the 2.25hp and the 3.25 hp, apart from the hp being lower, the small one seems like it would be best in a table with the built in above table hight adjustment. The other router I was looking at was a Dewalt 618 with the three bases. There is about $100 difference between the dewalt and the small triton, with the dewalt being more expensive. Just wondering what any of you would recommend, as they all seem to get good reviews. Or are there others I should include in my search? Thanks.

pat warner
03-05-2007, 4:31 PM
Maybe 60-80 router choices!
See link (http://patwarner.com/selecting_router.html)to narrow the field.

glenn bradley
03-05-2007, 4:43 PM
The small Triton has been getting a lot of praise lately. Strong enough for most jobs in the table but still light enough for comfortable hand work and it's a plunge. Hard to beat that combo in a one router shop!

Mike Heidrick
03-05-2007, 5:07 PM
The multi base 618 is the way to go. Put one base in a table and that still leaves you the D-handle and the plunge to use above. It is my favorite router in the 2 1/4hp market.

Check with Mark at heavy dutuy tools dot net for this router. His prices are real good! I have ordered four routers from him now.

Merle Clor
03-05-2007, 5:48 PM
FFW did a comparison in Issue #173 Nov/Dec 2004 of Router Combo Kits. At that time they picked the Bosch 1617 EVS PK and the Porter Cable 895 PK as the two best overall with the Skil 1825 as the best value.
HTH,
Merle

Mike Henderson
03-05-2007, 5:57 PM
FFW did a comparison in Issue #173 Nov/Dec 2004 of Router Combo Kits. At that time they picked the Bosch 1617 EVS PK and the Porter Cable 895 PK as the two best overall with the Skil 1825 as the best value.
HTH,
Merle
I have both the Bosch 1617 and the PC 890. The thing I don't like about the Bosch is the fine adjustment - it has a limited range. Once you get to the end of the range, you have to make a major movement. This is a PITA if you just need just one more adjustment to complete your work.

The Bosch is very good other than that one point.

Mike

Eric Wong
03-05-2007, 8:38 PM
You think you'll only buy one router for now, but trust me, by this time next year you'll probably be looking for a second one:D

BTW, I agree with Mike that the multi-base is the way to go.

Jim Becker
03-05-2007, 8:56 PM
I also have to side on the 13 amp (~"2-2.5hp") multi-base kit as the best value when "you can only buy one" or even for a second or third router!

Tri Hoang
03-05-2007, 9:11 PM
I had Hitachi M12V for table and Bosch 1617 fix/plunge for hand. The Bosch is OK but lack serious dust collection hook up. Without one, its a big mess. I wish I had gone with the DW618 combo before.

Justin Dreier
03-05-2007, 9:15 PM
I have two of the Bosch 1617EVS units. One motor for my table and the other to use as plunge/fixed base. I know some say it won't have enough power for heavy bits, but I do a good deal of woodworking and it's done all I asked of it.

It's a nice router that get's overall good ratings. Best of luck. Regards, Justin

Steve Sawyer
03-06-2007, 3:53 PM
I can't afford to buy a bunch of routers for different jobs, it would be nice if I could use it out of the table as well. I have been looking at the Tritons both the 2.25hp and the 3.25 hp, apart from the hp being lower, the small one seems like it would be best in a table with the built in above table hight adjustment.

Same issue, same reasoning for me, Jamie. I went with the Triton 2.25 about a month ago, and have been very happy with it. Very well thought-out design. Works great both in a table and hand-held.

Wilbur Pan
03-06-2007, 4:49 PM
Quick question: is there a reason why the vast majority of dedicated plunge routers on the market today are the big 3+ hp models? It seems to me that there would still be a market for middle power (~2 hp) dedicated plunge routers, but the only current models I can find are the Triton and the Festool 1400EQ.

I know that there are plenty of ~2 hp combo kits. The reason I'm asking about dedicated plunge routers is that the combo kits seem to have a less smooth plunge mechanism.

Jerry Olexa
03-06-2007, 5:03 PM
I've been routing pretty heavily for over 10 years and just last year, I finally got a 3.5HP MW router primarily for one of the router tables. The extra HP is better for large cuts like raised panels. (The mid range will handle 99% of your needs). Just go slower when doing raised panels (a little @ a time). Also, Be sure your router has var speed and soft start...

Jamie Hargrave
03-06-2007, 6:38 PM
Thanks for your input everyone. I'm still not sure, but I'm leaning towards the Dewalt 618 3 base at this time, I can get it for $299 (CDN) at Home Depot, that seems like a pretty good price for essentially three routers.

Dewayne Reding
03-06-2007, 6:49 PM
I just bought a PC 895 Kit, and a PC 7518 for the table. I looked at that Dewalt kit long and hard. I think its a better value than the PC line-up. I think you'll be very happy with it.

Brian Sweetman
03-07-2007, 7:48 AM
Jamie: I have the Triton 2 1/4 hp in my router table, and a 1 3/4 hp Ryobi Plunge Router for hand work. Good combination with the Triton permanently in the table. The above table height adjustment and bit change is very nice to use. Both routers were under the $299 price and it gives you the advantage of not having to switch out the motor each time you want to use it by hand. The Ryobi has handled any free hand work I've had to do. If I need to use bigger bits, I want to do it in the table for safety reasons anyway.

Brian

tim rowledge
03-07-2007, 2:57 PM
I just bought the Triton 2 1/4 router for C$200, so say about US$170 right now. Seems to be a fine machine so far.

Dewald van Lamp
03-08-2007, 4:18 AM
Hi there!

I have been lurking for some time, but this is my first post. I enjoy this forum and am amazed at the mass of accumulated knowledge of posters. It is definately my favourite woodworking forum!

I have owned the big Triton for two years now, and am very pleased wirh its performance in the mounted position when using half inch bits. I have however experienced slippage of some bits when using the 1/4 inch collet, which is very frustrating. I believe that Triton also became aware of the problem and that they have eliminated it with the new router. I am in the mid-fifties and find the big Triton too heavy for handheld work, but this should not be a problem for younger male users. I solved my problem by simply buying a lighter Hitachi for handheld use with 1/4 inch bits. If I had to buy an only router, I would go for the smaller Triton with its new features, lighter weight and cheaper price. I cannot comment on the other poster's choices as I have had no experience with these routers. Models in the USA also differ from what we have available here in South Africa.

Enjoy the research! It is part of the fun!:D

John Hain
03-08-2007, 10:50 AM
I'd buy two routers from Hitachi. My recs are to get the M12V and the KM12VC. The m12v should go under the table and the 12VC out of the table. Both are plunge based. You should be able to get both for collectively under $280 if you wait for deals to come around on Amazon.com.

That's just my 2 cents.