PDA

View Full Version : Changing PM66 from 3ph to 1ph

Jason Thaxton
03-05-2007, 3:30 PM
I need some help I have a older green powermatic 11/2 horse three phase saw that I want to change to a 3 or 5 hp single phase. Does anyone know what motor I will need. I called powermatic and they said it would work but there motors are lots a $$$. Clearvue cyclone has a 5 hp for under 300 but dont know if its the right motor. Can anyone help me out?
thanks,
Jason

Kirk Poore
03-05-2007, 4:18 PM
I need some help I have a older green powermatic 11/2 horse three phase saw that I want to change to a 3 or 5 hp single phase. Does anyone know what motor I will need. I called powermatic and they said it would work but there motors are lots a $$$. Clearvue cyclone has a 5 hp for under 300 but dont know if its the right motor. Can anyone help me out?
thanks,
Jason

Look for the frame size on your current motor. It's probably a 56C (IIRC) or 145TC. The "C" indicates it's a face mount instead of a bracket mount. Both 56C and 145TC have the same bolt pattern, just different shaft sizes. Staying with the same frame size will let you keep the same pulley. I bought a new 3hp 145TC Leeson a year ago for about $300 from a local motor supply house. The 3hp on my PM 65 has been plenty. Go for a quality 3 hp motor, instead of a cheap 5 hp one--I doubt you'll need the extra 2 horses much.

If you have a starter (manual or magnetic) you might be able to use it, but you'll need to change the heaters to the right size for the full load amps on the new motor. The Grainger website has a good chart for heater sizes and motor amp ratings. You may have to get a bigger starter anyway, since it may have a NEMA size 0 starter and you'll probably need a NEMA size 1 for a motor of 2+ hp. You can get a used starter by cruising ebay for a while. I found a size 1 for $40 including shipping a couple of years ago. I'm not as conversant with the electrical side as some others, so others will need to provide specifics here.

OWWM.com will have a manual for your machine. The folks at OWWM.org can probably answer other questions if you can't find what you need here.

Or, you can build/buy a rotary phase converter and keep it three phase, ignoring all of the above.

Kirk

Jason Thaxton
03-05-2007, 5:10 PM
thanks I found this site http://www.woodworkingtools.com/Dealers/arthur.html
they take the moters out of machines for the amish and resale them. I think 300 is a pretty good deal for all the wiring and motor. Do you think I would need anything else besides that? Should I spend a 100 more to get the 5 hp?

Kirk Poore
03-05-2007, 6:43 PM
thanks I found this site http://www.woodworkingtools.com/Dealers/arthur.html
they take the moters out of machines for the amish and resale them. I think 300 is a pretty good deal for all the wiring and motor. Do you think I would need anything else besides that? Should I spend a 100 more to get the 5 hp?

Looks pretty good to me. I don't think you'll need the 5 HP motor. And you'll need a 30 amp 240v circuit for that size, while a 20 amp 240 v circuit will work for the 3 hp motor. If shipping isn't too bad, I'd go for it. Make sure you confirm the frame size. If you go from a 56C to a 145TC frame, you'll need a new pulley--and PM doesn't sell 3 belt pulleys anymore. Still, this will address the whole starter & heater problem.

Kirk

David Gunn
03-05-2007, 8:52 PM
If you do put a 30amp breaker in you will need to put a 30amp receptacle for that breaker.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-05-2007, 9:56 PM
get a good motor. Baldor is an excellent motor. Lower quality motors don't actually produce the rated HP.
You really do get what you pay for.

Charles McKinley
03-06-2007, 12:55 AM
Unless it has been sold there is one in the classified section here.