PDA

View Full Version : Utah Woodturning Symposium

Brian Brown
03-05-2007, 1:23 PM
I found some information on the Utah Woodturning Symposium in Provo happening in June. I am wondering if this program is beneficial to new (absolute beginning) turners, or if it is more suited to experienced turners. This show is just over 4 hours from my home, and would be the nearest show I could attend. The information on their website doesn't indicate if this is a hands on show, or just a group presentation, or how many attendees are in each rotation. Any information on your experiences at this show would be greatly appreciated!

Brian

Malcolm Tibbetts
03-05-2007, 3:33 PM
Brian, the Utah event is terrific for all levels of woodturners. This year's line-up of presenters is first rate. It's not a hands-on experience; it's classroom demos with about 30 to 50 people in each classroom. You can pick and choose which topics fit your interest. The instant gallery will give you all kinds of inspiration. I say "Go, go, go", you wont be disappointed.

Kevin McPeek
03-05-2007, 11:17 PM
I have only been to both DWRs but I would say there was something there for every level of turner. I'm only a few years in the addiction but I still feel like a beginner.
I think I am going to Provo this year. I got the nod from the Mrs. so I just need to set everything up.

Brian Brown
03-07-2007, 11:55 AM
To all:

I posted this same question on a couple of forums, and called a few friends that turn. Every response I got was "this is a MUST NOT MISS event". It looks like I need to plan my work calender to make sure I get to this one. I sure hate it when work gets in the way of my sawdust making. Thank you all for your quick responses. Is anyone from the Southern Idaho/Northern Utah area planning on going?? Even if you are not going, I have only met a few turners from around this area, and would like to know if there are others. I am so new to this, it would be nice to learn from others how to make better quality sawdust!

Brian

David Walser
03-07-2007, 8:14 PM
Brian,

If you go (and you definitely should), check out some of the events held in conjunction with the event.

* Craft Supplies USA has a clean out the warehouse sale that I've heard really good things about. It's the day before the symposium and, in addition to the clearance sale, they put on a full day of demonstrations.
* If you are into pen turning, or would like to be, a pen turners group has held a mini symposium before the one at BYU. I'm not sure if they will this year or not.