PDA

View Full Version : Wet Grinders/Sharpeners

Matt Lentzner
03-05-2007, 1:02 PM
So what is the consesus on the Wet Grinding Systems out there. The following are what is available from Amazon.

Tormek Supergrind $399 The Gold Standard
Jet 708015PK $299 Tormek Copy
Scheppach Tiger $273 Tormek Copy
Makita 9820 $260 Top Grinder
Delta 23-710 $160 Top Grinder with Fast Side Grinder
Grizzly G1036 $155 Slow Wet Wheel and Fast Small Wheel
Delta 23-700 $150 Slow Wet Wheel and Fast Small Wheel
Delta GR050 $40 Low End Single Wheel

The Tormek is the highest rated system, but also the most expensive. The Jet and Scheppach are copies and seem to be well regarded although considered a step down from the Tormek. The Makita uses a different system, but seems to be well liked also. The Grizzly is the value leader - not great, but good for the price. The Deltas seem to be reviled in spite of the several styles offered.

Interested in the forum's feedback.

Thanks,

Matt

Marc Casebolt
03-05-2007, 2:39 PM
I've got the Tormek and really like it. Haven't used the others. I have found that the more I use it, the more I like it. Kind of a learning curve type of thing.

Marc

Karl Franz
03-05-2007, 2:46 PM
I have the Tormek also and love it. Takes a little time (learning curve) to master it. Would not be with out it keeping my tools sharp.:)

Alex Yeilding
03-05-2007, 4:04 PM
So what is the consesus on the Wet Grinding Systems out there.
Might want to include Lap Sharp and Veritas Power MkII in your "survey". Maybe not technically "wet grinders" (Lap Sharp is wet/dry, and I believe the Veritas is dry), but serve the same purpose as the ones you mention.

Bailey John
03-05-2007, 4:25 PM
I have the Makita (inherited from Dad). This has the horizontal wheel and spins about 800 rpm or less. Its about 15 y/o and got heavy use for planer/jointer blades by him. I have used it last 5 years or so for chisels, plane blades along with planer/jointer blades. Very easy to use. It came with a guide to hold the blades. So far it has stood up to pretty good use. I have not used it for turning tools.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-05-2007, 5:42 PM
$300 to $400 to sharpen chisels and planar blades.

It's a tad much for what it does. I'll stick with my hand stones.

Mike Henderson
03-05-2007, 5:51 PM
One thing you didn't say, Matt, is what you're going to use the sharpener for. If it's just for chisels and plane blades, you might get one reply. If for jointer and power planer blades and turning tools, as well as chisels and plane blades, you might get another answer.

If it's just for chisels and plane blades, I'd say stick with water stones and the LV MK II.

Mike

Steve Milito
03-05-2007, 5:55 PM

Those prices don't include the jigs. A fully decked out Tormek is $850! :eek:

Ken Shoemaker
03-05-2007, 6:40 PM
I got the Tormek a few months ago. Love it... Thank God it's a great machine or I'd have vapor locked" when the bill came. Great machine, but pricey... Good luck

Mike K Wenzloff
03-05-2007, 7:16 PM
The Sheppach should be compared to the smaller Tormek machine [if it is still made]. The stone size is the issue--besides, well, the other issues.

I have and use both the Tormek and Jet. They are different. I don't think anyone here would abuse their system like we do, but the Tormek has run nearly every day for years without issue.

I do think the Jet wheels are a better composition. The last longer. Whether it would be an issue for the average person or not...I doubt it. I go through a Tormek wheel every 2 months. Good news is the Jet wheels fit the Tormek.

And don't forget the HF version which just came out. Cheaper than them all except the $40 Delta.

Take care, Mike

Scott Brihn
03-05-2007, 7:41 PM
Matt,

I took delivery of a Tormek T2006 and "Magnum" accessory kit last month. At this point I've successfully sharpened my turning gouges and jointer knives. I have not used it for chisels and plane irons yet. For me this system compliments a 1" Viel S5 sander/grinder and Norton water stones.

I recently started turning some furniture parts and purchased the Tormek primarily for turning gouges and jointer knives. I had some success with a free hand fingernail grind using my sander/grinder but could not achieve decent repeatability. Prior to purchasing the Tormek I tried the Wolverine system powered by an 8" "slow" speed grinder at my local Woodcraft. This system worked ok but I'm more comfortable with the slower RPM and sparkless operation of the Tormek.

There are a number of "comparisons" between the Jet and Tormek on the Internet. Tom Hintz and Joe Woodworker each have written up formal comparisons.

Alex Yeilding
03-06-2007, 12:29 AM

But think of the savings. My saw shapening shop charges $0.50/inch for sharpening jointer knives. That means that if I sharpen my 6" jointer's knives twice a year, my payback on the Tormek and jointer knife jig is only 30 years!
:cool: