PDA

View Full Version : What do I look for in a used table saw?

Steven Mendes
12-12-2003, 3:20 PM
I am looking at a rockwell saw from about 1975. It is a unisaw style with a 52" bismyer knockoff fence. What should I look for when making an inspection of the machine? It is selling for around $350.00.
Thank you in advance

Steve

Tom Sweeney
12-12-2003, 4:05 PM
I don't have too many specifics for you -other than the general check the bearings & trunnions for excess play & that the motor spins up fine - -
but at $350 for a unisaw I wouldn't take too long doing research - that is a great price for a working unisaw

Good luck!

Lee Schierer
12-12-2003, 5:56 PM
I'd make sure it runs, what sort of power it is using. Then look at bearings trunnions etc to see if things are sloppy or loose. Do the locks on the height and tilt adjustments work. Can you raise lower and tilt the saw easily? What is the condition of the top? Dings and dents will indicate the level of care or abuse that was shown to the saw. How much rust is there on the surface? Is the surface gouged or is it smooth and flat? How do the threads on the arbor look? Is the blade locking nut there?

For $350 you can't buy a lot of new iron. Old iron was generally well made, particularly Rockwell stuff. Bearings are cheap to replace for cost, but can be a pain to remove if you don't know how or have the right tools.

mike malone
12-13-2003, 10:24 PM
I am looking at a rockwell saw from about 1975. It is a unisaw style with a 52" bismyer knockoff fence. What should I look for when making an inspection of the machine? It is selling for around $350.00.
Thank you in advance

Steve
hi steve
at least you are looking in the right direction...USA

the older unisaws (usually castiron apron) with the OVAL shaped motor opening usually have the older unavailable motors....you have to cut the cabinet to fit a new one in.
the newer ones '83...up have a rectangular opening....and can use the newer motors.
importantly to cover these openings for dust collection...the older ones used an oval motor cover to be "correct" ($220 if you can find them).
both can be covered simply with plywood and /or sheetmetal.

remember the unisaw uses a special motor with odd mounting tabs...and the motors are about 260$ to replace.
here's the best place to get inf on the unisaw:

http://www.sawcenter.com/unisaw.htm

have fun'
mike

Wes Bischel
12-14-2003, 4:47 PM
Steven,

More information can be found at the Old Wood Working Machines site. They may have a manual in PDF format as well. They also have a link to a parts supplier that has diagrams etc. online - Ace I think it is. They will have a cross reference for the newer Delta part numbers and pricing.

I have an early '70's Rockwell contractors saw and can attest to the durability of these models. My saw was not treated with much respect earlier in life, but was a steal for $100. A cabinet saw for $350 is even better as long as the basics are servicable. I replaced the bearings earlier this year after 13 years of fair to heavy use on my part - about $20 bucks from a local bearing supplier for US made bearings. That has been the only repair necessary.

Good luck, Wes