PDA

View Full Version : MM16 woes

Gary Herrmann
03-05-2007, 12:00 PM
Day off. I cut up a couple cherry pen blanks this morning. Each time, after cutting a couple 5" x 3/4" blanks, the saw just stopped. The motor sounded a little high pitched. Guides look fine, bearings look fine, blade was running smooth.

I don't know enough about motors to tear it down and diagnose, so hopefully Minimax will call me back soon and it will turn out to be something minor.

'Course now I don't want to fire up the lathe, because I don't want to miss the phone call. Argh.

James Carmichael
03-05-2007, 12:42 PM
For some reason, a post titled "MM16 Woes" just seems a little oxymoronic and does not evoke a lot of sympathy:rolleyes:

Seriously, I hope it's nothing major and quickly fixed.

Aaron Beaver
03-05-2007, 3:51 PM
Day off. I cut up a couple cherry pen blanks this morning. Each time, after cutting a couple 5" x 3/4" blanks, the saw just stopped. The motor sounded a little high pitched. Guides look fine, bearings look fine, blade was running smooth.

I don't know enough about motors to tear it down and diagnose, so hopefully Minimax will call me back soon and it will turn out to be something minor.

'Course now I don't want to fire up the lathe, because I don't want to miss the phone call. Argh.

MM has always been good about calling, except when they were unloading a shipment I had to wait another day, but no biggie. Hope they get back to you soon.

Gary Herrmann
03-05-2007, 6:05 PM
Well, I've got a bad motor bearing. Even when not under load, it shuts itself off in under a minute. Tim was very helpful in diagnosing the problem. I'm out of warranty for almost a year, so I'm just out of luck.

Minimax is selling me the motor basically at cost, so that was nice. Tim will make himself available this weekend to walk me through the process of removing and replacing the motor.

Based on what we looked at, it seems to be just one of those things. A fairly expensive thing, but I guess like cars, sometimes you get a tool with a bad part. Too bad it wasn't a cracked plastic knob or something...

John W Parker
03-05-2007, 6:15 PM
Gary, If its just the bearing ,why don't you pull the motor and take it to a motor shop and have the motor bearing replaced? I would think that would be alot cheaper.