PDA

View Full Version : Cabinet Saw-Mobile Bases

Jim Summers
03-05-2007, 11:47 AM
Hello All,

For some time now I have been wrestling around with getting a new cabinet saw. Getting closer to deciding, and was wondering how the mobile bases (MB) might affect a cabinet saw. I have heard and seen some pictures, not actually witnessed it, that these saws can keep a nickel balanced on edge when running. But when I have seen pictures I haven't evere seen whether they have a MB under them. So I was wondering if anyone might want to share how their's does. The ones in the running right now are: Grizzly, Delta, and Powermatic. Since the PM 2000's base is built in it shouldn't be an issue since it is cranked down when stationary. But the Grizzly and Delta ones are sitting on a base/wheels. Which I know they have some sort of lockdown mechanisms but I was curious what side-effects they may cause. I won't be moving the saw around daily or even weekly, but enough that a base will be needed.

Many Thanks

Harley Lewis
03-05-2007, 12:16 PM
Jim, I have a unisaw with a longer fence on a delta mobile base and even though I have not done a nickle test I think it works great. I would not hesitate to buy another if I needed it. It pretty much stays in one spot unless I need to put the car in the garage I then roll it out of the way.

I have several Grizzly tools on Shop Fox mobile bases and they all perform well, however I do prefer the built in base on my Grizzly planer. I have no experience with the Shop Fox used with a cabinet saw so iI cannot comment.

Dan Lee
03-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Jim
I have a SS on a HTC mobile base with 50" rails/extension table and it passes the nickle test with out a hint of wobble.

Rod Sheridan
03-05-2007, 12:49 PM
I have a General 650 on a home made angle iron base, that also provides support for my overarm guard.

I made the stand out of 2 X 2 X 3/16 hot rolled angle, the casters are mounted on brackets made from 3 X 4 X 1/4 hot rolled angles, so the base only adds 3/8 of an inch elevation to the saw table.

Two feet on 3/8 rod provide positive locking to the saw once it's in position.

Regards, Rod.

Chris Jenkins
03-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Running a 66 with a MB and no problems. Just make sure the cabinet is fixed inside the base. I know I had to shove a 2 x 4 in between my cab and the mb to take up the excess space. This way the cab can't slide inside the MB.

Ray Phillips
03-05-2007, 12:55 PM
I have a new Grizzly 1023sl on a shopfox mobile base. I ordered both from Grizzly. I love the saw and it works very well on the mobile base.I have a Forrest blade and I get little to no vibration.:) :) :) :) :)

Jim Summers
03-05-2007, 2:45 PM
Thanks to all,

Harley,

How does the mobile base on your unisaw work? In the pictures of it, out under the extension wing/table there is something that is angled up. Is that what locks/raises/lowers the wheels? Does it fold down so that you could store something under the wing if needed?

Thanks again

Greg Sznajdruk
03-05-2007, 3:48 PM
Jim:

The part that sticks up is the lever which is used to lift the saw. Mine is also a 50 inch extension table. I do store items under the extension table but if you intend to move the saw then you have to move all that stuff. As far as stable didn't notice any difference with or without mobile base. When I bought my Unisaw talked the sales guy into throwing in the base.

Greg

Larry Conely
03-05-2007, 4:02 PM
I have an Inca 12 inch table saw with an HTC mobile base under it. I have several HTC bases and have been pleased. I've tried others, but always come back to HTC.

Larry

Hal Flynt
03-05-2007, 5:18 PM
I have my PM66 on a PM full length mobile base (Made by HTC) and it's very stable. It's the retangular box frame as opposed to the one with the single extension with a T at the end for the extension.

I originaly had it on a Standard Shop Fox and it was a bit weak. I added a plywood floor under the extension table and then a 2 shelf open ended box for accesories. I like it.

Mike Heidrick
03-05-2007, 5:21 PM
Mine has been on a mobile base since it came off the crate.
Nickel Test link here (http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/?action=view&current=SawstopNickelTest.flv)
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/th_SawstopNickelTest.jpg

On the MB before the saw was even setup with a fence or table:
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/rails.jpg

Harley Lewis
03-05-2007, 5:40 PM
Jim, as noted above that funny looking part is the lever that lowers the wheel to allow you to roll the saw around. My uni has a shelf under the extension table and above that lever. I store lots of saw related stuff on that shelf. Some of the newer saws don't have that shelf as a feature with the 52 inch fences but it would be easy to make one. The one I have is just below the motor access door and just above the dust chute.

Harley

Bruce Page
03-05-2007, 5:40 PM
My Unisaw with 50” Beis is sitting on a Delta base. It is rock solid.

Matthew Moreno
03-05-2007, 8:55 PM
I just picked up a nice Unisaw with 50" Beis, and just ordered the Delta base on Amazon for $149, delivered. It sounds like its going to be a good base.

Jim Summers
03-05-2007, 10:56 PM
Thanks to all,

Seems an overwhelming consensus that a MB will not impact performance at all.

Thanks again

Don Bullock
05-21-2007, 8:19 AM
Jim
I have a SS on a HTC mobile base with 50" rails/extension table and it passes the nickle test with out a hint of wobble.

I have to say the same for my SS and HTC base. I just did some cuts on large sheets of plywood with no movement from the saw.