PDA

View Full Version : Bench question

Dave McGeehan
03-05-2007, 11:43 AM
I am in the process of planning/building a woodworking bench to take the place of "Ol' Faithful" I built out of 2X4s and particle board years ago. Besides furniture building, I do quite a bit of woodcarving so I'm going to use Noden adjustable legs and a Tucker vise. I'm going to put a Veritas twin-screw vice on the right/hand end, the Tucker on the left/front, a tongue+groove endcap on the left/hand end and a tongue+groove larger endcap on the right end (this will also be the rear jaw of the twin-screw). Both these caps will be attached in a way as to allow for expansion/contraction of the top. I'm not going to use a front skirt because I feel it would interfere with various clamping situations.

I have the opportunity to buy a 1 3/4" thick, 30"X70" butcherblock maple top at a decent price. My question is: Is 1 3/4" thick enough for a benchtop of this design especially with a 50 lb. Tucker hanging off of the corner?

Dave

Brian Kent
03-05-2007, 12:54 PM
I think that would be fine, with the proper reinforcements. My bench is 1-3/4" maple, but with a 4" thick apron, 4" deep into the table and that is what my end vise is mounted on. It might be a little light without reinforcements, but you could build it up as needed to secure the big vise.

Hank Knight
03-07-2007, 11:21 AM
Dave,

I did the same thing Brian did: I glued 4" thick strips to the edge of my laminated top for dog holes and to strengthen the top for my vise. I used two 8/4 strips and one 3/4 facing piece, so the 4" thick section is about 4 1/2" deep. It adds a lot of strength to my bench top. It is not wide like many aprons so it allows me to clamp to the bench top. The lip on the underside where it meets the thinner top allows me to clamp stock to the front face of the bench top. I also have end caps that float on a long tenons on both ends of my bench. They are attached with bed bolts from Lee Valley.

Good luck with your bench.

Hank

Dave McGeehan
03-08-2007, 9:32 PM
Thanks for the info. I knew I'd have to beef up the top at the location where the Tucker attaches. The instructions say you need 2 1/2" to 2 3/4". I'm just concerned about the point where the 2 3/4" ends and the 1 3/4" top resumes to the right of the Tucker. That is the point where my legs will attach one foot from the edge of the bench. I just thought that might be a weak point for a 50lb vise, or especially a 50lb vise that is holding a carving that I'll be banging on.