PDA

View Full Version : Larger motor or not

Nick Englesby
03-05-2007, 10:33 AM
Im going to replace my 3 phase 3/4 hp 50+ year old Baldor jointer motor with another new Baldor. My question is:

I can get a very good price on a 2hp Baldor but the original manual for the machine says that 3/4 hp 3600 RPM should not be exceeded or they would not be responsible for injury etc etc etc.

I dont see what the problem would be using a stronger motor with the same RPM.

Any thoughts or recomendations?

thanks

Rod Sheridan
03-05-2007, 10:55 AM
Hi, a larger motor wouldn't be a safety issue, increasing cutter head speed would be.

If you haven't had any problems with the 3/4 HP motor, why would you increase the power so much?

A larger motor will require new overload relays in the starter, unless you have an adjustable type with the correct range.........Rod.

Nick Englesby
03-05-2007, 11:06 AM
Thanks Rod,

Cutter head speed will remain the same.

As for using the jointer. Have not had it under power since buying it out of a school in PA. I am doing a full restore on the machine. Had not planned on increasing the HP on the motor but the deal is a good one on the lager motor. I also have a new mag starter that will work with the larger motor.

Rod Sheridan
03-05-2007, 11:33 AM
Have fun with it.

A couple of years ago my wife purchased a Rockwell lathe from a school that was closing its woodshop.

I don't know if that's common where you live, however here in Ontario we seem to be doing that, getting rid of shop classes.

Too bad, as I live in a large city, many students don't have a shop at home as they live in apartments or condo's.

regards, Rod.