PDA

View Full Version : Sheet Goods Cart

Mark J Bachler
03-05-2007, 9:16 AM
I'd like to make a cart that will take a sheet of material from vertical to horizontal at table saw height. Something like a sheet rock jack without the jack. Any one have any pics or plans out there? My back appreciates any info....

Mark

Mark J Bachler
03-05-2007, 9:55 AM
How about a link to shopcart usa??

Mike Heidrick
03-05-2007, 10:02 AM
Send me your home email address and I will email a plan I have.

Mark J Bachler
03-06-2007, 8:19 AM

Thanks much Mike, sent it, let me know if ya got it.

Mike Wilkins
03-06-2007, 9:44 AM
Fine Woodworking magazine printed an article in one of their Tools and Shops issues for a sheet goods cart. You loaded the sheet onto the tilted bed, and wheeled it to the tablesaw, where you tilted it level, locked the table, and slid it into the tablesaw.
I'm at work now so I cannot check my library. Do a search on the site.
Good luck.

Dave Buffington
03-06-2007, 9:50 AM
Some mag i have has a plan for some contraptions for this that you put across sawhorses, basically a board the length of the sawhorse (or table I supoose) that is hinged to another board that is the same size as your sheet material (presumably 4 feet long)end to end. This shorter peice rest on the floor. At the end of the short peice is a length of angle iron. So you take two of these, attach each to a saw horse, then bring your sheet good over to them, rest it on the angle iron, then lift the whole assemble up until it is horizontal and slide the sheet material onto the horses (or table or whatever).

probabaly cost about $5 to make.

Dave

Mark J Bachler
03-06-2007, 10:43 AM
I have a book called "Setting up Shop" by Sandor Nagyszalanczy. In it there is a pic of Carol Reed loading a sheet of material out of the back of her truck onto a cart that is just like what I wanted to build. I think I can come with something on CAD now that I have a picture to go by.
Hopefully.

Doug Barker
03-06-2007, 10:48 AM
Carol Reed posts over at woodCentral, and is very helpful. I have seen the same photo of her cart in the setting up shop book, and it looks quite helpful.

Good luck

Richard McComas
03-06-2007, 2:57 PM
Go to this site and click on "panel shuttle veido".

http://www.workbenchmagazine.com/main/wb280-caddy01.html

Carol Reed
03-06-2007, 9:28 PM
MArk also emailed me but a reply to his email addressed bounced, so here ya go!

Over the years since that book came out, I have had dozens of requests for the plans. I am sorry to say I didn't keep them. It was based on the Shopcart, which I didn't have the money to buy.

That said, I no longer have it. I couldn't give the darn thing away when I moved, so I dismantled it to salvage the hardware. It was not all that inexpensive to build and an absolute bear to find a place to store.

So, replacement gear to effect the same thing was needed. In the same book, there is a picture of my panel trolley for transporting a piece of sheet stock vertically. I still have that thing, and I love it. The other item I purchased to replace the cart was an electric winch from Harbor Freight. Far less expensive - less than a $100, and much more useful.

I'll go read the picture posting FAQ's and if I figure that out I will post a picture, maybe two. :)

Carol Reed
03-06-2007, 10:44 PM
These should be relatively self-explanatory.

Why lift and tote when all you have to do is push a button?

Mark J Bachler
03-07-2007, 7:39 AM

Thanks much Carol. I see your point on the cart taking up space.

Mark J Bachler
03-07-2007, 7:48 AM

This looks interesting.

Tyler Howell
03-07-2007, 8:41 AM
Hey!!!!!:eek:
Sharing We want to see it too!!

John Gregory
03-07-2007, 11:21 AM

what size are the wheels and where did you find them? Your tote looks like a good solution to me.

thanks

Carol Reed
03-07-2007, 2:59 PM
The wheels are the 10" pneumatic wheels from Harbor Freight. The axles are 5/8" bolts with nylock nuts and plenty of fender washers. There is a 1-1/2" wooden bushing on either sides of the 'fenders'. The inside dimension of the trolley is 1" or a little less, but more than 3/4". The fenders are, IIRC, 15" x 23" ply. Don't ask why, probably what was there at the time. Haven't wanted for anything bigger. Or smaller. Routed handle holes, easier to pick up, as needed.

However, 20-20 hindsight. Thicker bushings, maybe at least 2" for a wider stance. If I can find bolts long enough. That was probably the initial kicker.
Or all-thread rod and double up on the nylock nuts. The bolts, washers, and nut were probably more money than the wheels (sale price)!

Mark J Bachler
05-10-2007, 3:30 PM

I made one of these last week & it works great for getting sheet stock on my slider. My back thanks you.

Aaron Hamilton
05-10-2007, 9:27 PM
Wow...that sheet shuttle is amazing...I'm building one tomorrow, what a great idea.

mark page
05-10-2007, 11:50 PM
I can see one in the works in my shop. No more tote that barge lift that bale, scoot things over and make room for daddy thing.