PDA

View Full Version : Another goblet

Curt Fuller
03-04-2007, 10:57 PM
I tried another goblet with a celtic ring. This one is Bocote with the ring made from Canarywood. The Bocote might have too much figure in the grain for something like this. It's 6.75" tall by 1.75" dia with two interlocked captive rings.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-04-2007, 11:12 PM
Curt.........You taken the art out of turning goblets and made a science out of it! Stunning! Well done sir!

Steve Schlumpf
03-04-2007, 11:24 PM
Beautiful work Curt! Lots going on in that goblet! Could stay entertained for an hour just following all the lines / rings to see where they were going!

Bernie Weishapl
03-05-2007, 12:15 AM
Curt that one is a beauty. I really like the form and finish on it. Nice job.

Jonathon Spafford
03-05-2007, 1:15 AM
Gorgeous goblet... I Love the celtic knots on these! I personally like the woods... makes the piece look kinda rustic. Sure is a nice turning!

mike fuson
03-05-2007, 1:45 AM
very nice Curt,I actually like this one better than the others, and I like them.

Mark Pruitt
03-05-2007, 8:05 AM
The Goblet King strikes again!:cool:

Wow, Curt, that is simply awesome.

TYLER WOOD
03-05-2007, 9:55 AM
I agree with you Curt. The form and followthrough of the project is absolutely wonderful, but I do feel that the grain and the celtic knots are a little busy for this. Other than the grain though great piece.

Note: I am not a huge fan of bacote for that one reason. Just seens to busy graining for round work in my personal opinion.

Randy Rhine
03-05-2007, 10:55 AM
Nice goblet. I also feel like the grain of the bocote overwhelms the knot design.... But...over time, the bocote will darken, to the point where you'll barely be able to make out the grain . And then the canarywood will stand out more.

rr

Neal Addy
03-05-2007, 11:18 AM
:eek: That is stunning. As the photo opened my first reaction was... well, never mind, this IS a family site.

Beautiful work, Curt. You are the King of Goblets! :cool:

Brian McInturff
03-05-2007, 1:10 PM
Curt,
Beautiful piece! My wife has been nagging..ugh... I mean asking me to make some goblets. I don't think I can come close to that one. Last time I did captive rings they broke on me while I was sanding. The Celtic knots are great, not sure how you did them but man I like them. Brian

John Hart
03-05-2007, 1:12 PM
My first thoughts? It looks like a Jungle Piece. Stunning Curt. Not too busy at all....which is kinda weird, because it should be busy....but it's not. Just cool.:)

Keith Burns
03-05-2007, 1:19 PM
Well, Mr. King of Goblets, you've done it again ! Excellent! I personally like your choice of materials. I like the subtle knot. Adds a little intrigue to the piece.:) :)

Jeff Moffett
03-05-2007, 1:22 PM
Curt, you are definitely a goblet master. The Kansas City Woodturners Club is having a goblet turning contest this month. I may (attempt to) borrow some of your design features. Thanks for posting.

Kaptan J.W. Meek
03-05-2007, 3:49 PM
Fantastic. It wouldn't matter what wood. The thing is truley a work of art. I've never seen "interlocking" captive rings..
I'm a little curious of that, I'm gonna have to research that one...:confused:

Curt Fuller
03-05-2007, 10:23 PM
My first thoughts? It looks like a Jungle Piece.

One sip from this goblet and you'll be swinging from the trees:eek: .

Thanks all, and I agree that bocote isn't the best wood to use with the celtic rings.

Mark Cothren
03-07-2007, 8:20 AM
Curt, that is some FINE work!!!!!