PDA

View Full Version : Can you help with vibration?

Mike Shoemaker
03-04-2007, 10:24 PM
I'm getting a vibration with my bandsaw. When running, not just when cutting. I tried to do some searches but nada. It's a 14" Import, much like Harbor Freight's. Any ideas on where to start would be appreciated. Thanks

Tim Martin
03-04-2007, 10:35 PM
Hi Mike, is the body of your bandsaw solid cast iron, or is it a welded frame/sheet steel style?

Ed Kowaski
03-04-2007, 10:35 PM
Take the blade off and run it. No vibs, it's the top wheel or blade, try a couple of blades to determine if it's the top wheel or blade. No joy, take the belt off or loosen it, still vibs, it's the motor or pully or belt, no vibs, it's the wheel. With the power off spin by hand, any noises or rough feeling it's probably a bearing. It's start at least.

Mike Shoemaker
03-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Thanks Ed, It's solid cast Tim.

glenn bradley
03-05-2007, 12:56 AM
I have taken the long way around the barn more times than I care to mention only to find out the vibration I was trying to fix was in the motor the whole time. I've learned to start with the motor. Pull the belt (assuming it has one) and run the motor. If there's no belt remove the blade as others have recommended to isolate the motor as much as possible for testing.

Tony Ward
03-05-2007, 3:37 AM
The information available from these sites maybe of assistance ~

Bandsaws and Blades information sites (http://www.tonyward.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=3&id=38&Itemid=90%22%3E)

Good Health

Tyler Howell
03-05-2007, 6:24 AM
Linked belts work wonders for bad vibes!!:cool:

Jeff Weight
03-05-2007, 9:19 AM
The information available from these sites maybe of assistance ~

Bandsaws and Blades information sites (http://www.tonyward.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=3&id=38&Itemid=90%22%3E)

Good Health

There is some great information at that site. Thanks for the link. :)

Tony Ward
03-05-2007, 2:56 PM
There is some great information at that site. Thanks for the link. :)

Do you know of any other Bandsaws and Blade sites of interest?

Tony Ward

Mike Shoemaker
03-05-2007, 11:59 PM
Ok, With your suggestions, Without the blade-vibration, Without the belt, motor is smooth as silk. So I'm guessing a bearing. Thanks for all the help.

Ed Kowaski
03-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Mike, is this a new to you saw or something you've had that developed a vibration?

Now that you narrowed it down to this area look at everything very carefully. It could be the belt, seems these days machines are shipped with poor belts. It could be the main wheel is out of balance. It could be either of the pullies. It could be the bearings.

Spin and wiggle the wheel if it rocks when wiggled or makes any noise it's probably a bearing. Is the wheel clean or caked with gunk. How's the tire

Inspect the pullies are round and properly machined.

Run the saw with the belt on and watch the belt itself, your looking for some lumpy ness in the belt or pullies.

Good luck!

Mike Shoemaker
03-06-2007, 12:14 PM
It's an older saw. The wheel seems tight if you try to wiggle it by hand. But if you run it and look through the cover, it seems to have a slight wobble.

Ted Pritchard
03-07-2007, 2:20 AM
Mike, check that there hasn't been an uneven buildup of sawdust on one of the wheels. On an ancient INCA I own and hadn't used for awhile, sawdust had settled on one side of the drive wheel and that resulted in a lot of vibration!
Ted