PDA

View Full Version : Building an outdoor arbor

Tullie Templet
03-04-2007, 8:54 PM
A friend of mine is building an outdoor arbor out of treated (pine I assume). He is concerened about the boards twisting on the top part of the arbor. He says the boards are still pretty wet so my suggestion to him was to sticker them and let them dry out for about two weeks outside under a carport. He said he has a shed he could put them in. My suggestion for the shed was to put a fan on them to help circulate air. We live in south Louisiana with high humidity and temps right now in the mid 60's to low 70's in the day. Can I get some input on whether i am correct as I am no expert on this matter as a new WW. Thanks!!

Alan Mikkelsen
03-05-2007, 9:34 AM
I've built several arbors & pergolas, some quite large (16'x32'). I've used mostly cedar, with a few of the arbors built of fir, too. I then paint the fir, stain the cedar. I've used treated lumber for mud sills when building, but I really can't get wrapped around using it to construct something visible. Just my two cents.

Shane Newlin
03-05-2007, 9:49 AM
If your friend is going to dry our the PT, I would advise not starting any cutting ou fitting until this is done, and the wood will twist, shrink, and do all sorts of nasty things. I'm with Alan on not being hot about using it for a pergola, as I have done it and didnt have any hair left at the end.

Ben Grunow
03-05-2007, 9:20 PM
I have used PT SYP for pergolas and my experience is that you should cut and assemble that stuff asap. Drying it will make it twist more and create waste. Just make the trellis and plan on replacing a few pieces if they are really bad.

The key is to get the best pieces you can to start with and plan on using long screws and good interlocking joints to hold the boards together and keep them straight.

Norm built one at his house on NYW in PT.

I now use clear red cedar but only because most people are willing to pay for it (what would the Jones' think?)