PDA

View Full Version : Would this be coring backwards?

Bob Hamilton
03-04-2007, 7:07 PM
I finished this bowl last night and since I had taken some pictures along the way I put up an article on the method on my website. The bowl is soft maple with a feature ring of walnut and lacewood. About 14 1/4" diameter by 6" high. Finish is Clapham's Salad Bowl finish, a blend of beeswax and mineral oil.

The link to the article is: http://bobhamswwing.com/Articles/Coring%20Backwards/Coring%20Backwards.htm

Take care
Bob

Jim Ketron
03-04-2007, 7:16 PM
Well I think thats a pretty good description of what you did Bob.
Nice Bowl and what a good way to take a smaller blank and stretching it out to get a larger turning and not having to sweep it up in the floor!

Ernie Kuhn
03-04-2007, 8:29 PM
Bob,
Nice piece of work and excellent "how to" article. Maybe, just maybe, with your approach, everything in my burn pile, isn't.
Thanks again for the article.
Ernie

Bernie Weishapl
03-04-2007, 8:42 PM
Great bowl Bob. The article is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Brian McInturff
03-04-2007, 8:55 PM
Now that's a neat idea. I like it!!
Brian

John Chandler
03-04-2007, 10:08 PM
That is a nice looking bowl. Thank you for showing how you did it. Another idea I've put down to try.

Steve Schlumpf
03-04-2007, 10:37 PM
Bob - thanks for a great how-to article! I like the bowl form, color contrasts and finish - will keep your system in mind the next time I have a smaller blank to turn. Thanks!

Dave Wimmer
03-05-2007, 8:09 AM
Bob, that is outstanding. I definately plan to try that .

Dick Strauss
03-05-2007, 2:14 PM
Bob,
In addition, there are two other techniques that accomplish the same things as your process without going into full segmentation.

Tech #1. You can cut a board on the bandsaw by making a bevelled cut spiralling towards the middle. You make the spiral by putting a screw in the center and attaching a pencil at the end of a string. Then you trace inward as you wrap the string around the screw. Next you stretch the piece (like a slinky) and glue it into a bowl shape. Finally you turn it as you would with any blank.

FYI-Scott Phillips' "The American Woodshop" has an episode on PBS to show the spiral bowl process.

Tech #2. You cut a square board in half like your "Dovetail Bowl" process listed on your site and assemble the bowl out of half-circles.

If it were me, I'd stagger the joints for a stronger bowl and more interesting swirl look. Also, as you cut the half rings, you might want to change the angle to give a better curve on the piece. Your bowl looks like a cone but could look like a flared cone or round bowl if you changed the cutting angle by a few degrees on each successive BS cut.

So...if you cut the outer ring first and decrease the angle a few degrees for each cut, you'd end up with a piece that look like a flared cone. If you increase the angle, you'd end up with a rounded bowl shape.

Take care,
Dick