PDA

View Full Version : MLCS bits

Jim Thiel
03-04-2007, 6:56 PM
I got an interesting e-mail from Penn State the other day, with a cross link to MLCS. Being the dope that I am, I went and found a set of brad point bits 1/16 - 1/2 for 20.00.

I thought to myself, that seems cheap even by my standards.

Anyone use them, are they true, and any other likes/dislikes. They are sitting in the basket, but I wanted to ask before buying a boxed set doorstop.

Jim

Wes Bischel
03-04-2007, 7:22 PM
Jim,
I have purchased from MLCS before and had good luck with their products. I can't vouch for their brad point bits though.

FWIW,
Wes

Mike Henderson
03-04-2007, 7:46 PM
I can't help you with the brad point bits, either. I do buy router bits from MLCS because they offer free shipping for any size order. And often, all I need is one bit for a special job. Much better than paying an extra $5 to have one bit shipped to me.

I find the quality of their router bits to be good for my usage. But I wouldn't expect a $20 set of brad point bits to be even close to the Lee Valley drill bit set.

Mike

glenn bradley
03-05-2007, 1:06 AM
I have had nothing but good luck with MLCS except for those bits. I contacted them with my problem and as usual they were great. They asked me to identify the bits that were mis-sized or bent and they would send me replacements.

I carefully went about testing the bits in order of size; I got through a dozen without a single one drilling the right size hole due to mis-sizing or run out. Really made the 'by 64ths' feature moot.

They credited my account and told me to keep the bits. They're in a drawer somewhere . . . I still buy from them; just not those bits.

P.s. They're forstners are inexpensive and perform much better than the price would indicate.

Jim Thiel
03-05-2007, 7:31 AM
I got through a dozen without a single one drilling the right size hole due to mis-sizing or run out. Really made the 'by 64ths' feature moot.

Thanks Glenn. I had presupposed them to be less than great, but sometimes you hope anyway. Out of the basket.

Jim

Byron Trantham
03-05-2007, 7:50 AM
I have buying their router bits for years and frankly I like them. I have not bought their drill bits though so I can't comment on the quality. $20 for a box of bits seems too good to be true.:rolleyes:

Lou Morrissette
03-05-2007, 8:26 AM
I have been buying their router bits for several years and have had good luck with them. Good quality and free shipping. Can't help you with the drills though.

Lou

Curt Harms
03-05-2007, 8:38 AM
I have a pack of 7 from them, 1/8 to 1/2. I've never checked the size of the hole but never noticed a problem with over or undersized. They don't clear chips well though. I bought an equivalent set of german-made bits on sale at Woodcraft, they seem better. Brad points from Lee Valley seem to be well thought of.

HTH

Curt

Quesne Ouaques
03-05-2007, 9:25 AM
I buy quite a bit of stuff from MLCS, and have been happy with everything. Their customer support is excellent.

I have one of their "red box" sets of brad point drill bits that I got from a scratch-and-dent table. Aside from a practically imperceptible ding on the box, they work great.

Cary Swoveland
03-05-2007, 10:14 PM
I have been happy with all but the smallest MLCS router bits. I have broken four of their 1/4" straight and spiral bits, one with a 1/2" shank, the others with 1/4" shanks. MLCS replaces them, of course, but it's a nuisance. You might think I am pushing the bits too hard--depth of cut or forward speed--but I'm careful about that, and have not broken any other bits of that size obtained from other sources (e.g, Whiteside, Lee Valley).

Cary