PDA

View Full Version : Contemporary Furniture...

peter slamp
03-04-2007, 6:41 PM
I know I'm definitely in the minority here, but I like contemporary-(euro?) style furniture. I know that alot of it is cheaply made crap. I'm very new to all of this but what I'd like to do is eventually get good enough to make higher quality versions of this style of furniture. The problem is that it seems that most woodworkers are into older styled work. Don't get me wrong, I think that this kind of furniture is very nice, just not my style unfortunately. I think Mark Singer definitely 'speaks to me' most on this site. This table that I believe he designed and built just blows me away

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=57919&d=1171431652

My question is this... for those few of you who might share my design inspirations, where do you look for plans, techniques, advise etc. I have a book I got off Amazon that has some plans for Contemporary furniture. Are there some other good sources? Thanks. Also many thanks to Mr. Mark Singer for truly inspiring me the noob! By the way, the bed you just built blows me away too!:)

Mike Henderson
03-04-2007, 7:05 PM
The best thing to do is to design your own. Look at pictures of the furniture you like and combine appropriate aspects. One problem with contemporary furniture is that it's often very sculptural which requires different construction techniques than the linear construction of some older styles (such as Arts and Crafts Furniture).

Don't be afraid to use your vision.

Mike

Mark Singer
03-04-2007, 7:16 PM
Peter,
Contemporary or Modern is not synonomis with cheap junk.....Knoll, Herman Miller, B&B , Holly Hunt, Dakota Jackson, Stendig, Metropolitan, are not inexpensive lines. It is not easier to make furniture without moldings That is clean and honest. Moldings often hide a world of sins on period pieces.....even old ones if you have ever restored any antiques alot of it is crap. You are interested in furniture for today rather than period styles that were designed for a different time and place . No apologies are necessary. Many of the Master crafstman share your preferences,,,,Krenov, Maloof, Tage Frid, Hans Wegner, Arne Jacobsen and others....
My sugestion on design inspiration is the roots....both in practice and in theory. Mies said "form follows function" that is a great place to start.
If it is a dining table...it is 29 to 30 " high...clearance for legs...no stretchers etc. So start with the basic form.
The coffee table that "Blows you away" and thanks for the comment, is really a coffee table pulled apart to provide a place for a person in a remote chair to set down a book or a drink. The costraints of a period style do not allow the reconition of this situation....it must be done with 2 seperate tables.
Just as years ago views from homes were limited by the size of glass panes that could be manufactured....when you choose such an archi type you limit the possibilites and ignor todays technology....big pieces of glass to bring the outside in.
On the shoulders of all the great architects and designers , I pay Homage and with great respect I want to move forward and acknowlege this time , this place and today's technology.....it is the only way we can begin to correct the issues the planet is experiencing.....now that your air bags are full of my hot air ....it is safe to move forward...The best designs of today are borne from the roots of Modernism...Corbu, Mies, Eames. Breuer, Saarinen, Jacobsen, Wright, Hofman, Chereau, Jule, Wegner and others...

peter slamp
03-04-2007, 7:19 PM
The problem I'm having is that for me, it's difficult to ascertain details such as joinery, finish etc. with just pixs. I guess I'm just a much better reproducer than a designer. I work better with some written or oral guidance. The problem I'm having is that most plans I see out there are for styles I'm not that interested in reproducing. I'm kinda embarrased to say this at a site with so many amazing artists, but I actually like a lot of the designs I see even in catalogs like Crate & Barrel. Trying to reproduce them seems a bit daunting for me without some sort of plans. :(

Dave Fifield
03-04-2007, 7:21 PM
I'm with you on this Peter - old style furniture (Federal, Chippendale, Victorian, William & Mary, etc.) leaves me cold. I like the modern Scandanavian/Euro styles. Simplicity, elegant lines, efficient use of materials etc. are where it's at for me. Some of the simpler Arts & Crafts and Shaker stuff isn't too bad, but I dislike the look of oak (quartersawn or otherwise) with a passion!

Perhaps you'd be so good as to disclose the title and author of that book you found with the modern designs? I'd certainly be interested in it. Most books on "Contempory" or "Modern" furniture design really aren't IMO! :rolleyes: ;)

Cheers,

peter slamp
03-04-2007, 7:25 PM
Thanks Mark! I will google some of the names that you've brought to my attention. Your points make me feel better about my design inspirations. I guess I've just been brainwashed to think that 'older is better'. I just love furniture that has an 'architectural or industrial' feel. Generally fairly minimalist to be honest. I guess being an architect is why your designs appeal so much to me. Hopefully I'll someday be able to make something in the same zipcode as your creations! :)

peter slamp
03-04-2007, 7:28 PM
Here you go Dave...
http://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Own-Contemporary-Furniture/dp/1558706100/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4/105-8381225-9566065?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173054322&sr=8-4

It's a decent book. I've already made a few things. It's really the only thing I could find anywhere on the subject that actually had some plans. :)

peter slamp
03-04-2007, 7:29 PM
Simplicity, elegant lines, efficient use of materials etc. are where it's at for me.

Yes, exactly! ;)

Mark Singer
03-04-2007, 8:10 PM
Peter this should make you feel better....I copied this table from Crate and Barrel...my daughter , Jessica insisted on it. If you see a design you like ...tweak it a little and with time you will have the confidence to start fresh!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=32455&highlight=jessica

John Stevens
03-04-2007, 8:10 PM
My question is this... for those few of you who might share my design inspirations, where do you look for plans, techniques, advise etc.

Hi, Peter. I like modern design, too. For me, design is where the greatest value is added in woodworking, so I draw inspiration from furniture I find here and there, but I don't like to use plans.

There's no particular furniture designer or group of designers that I have a strong preference for. Most of my inspiration comes from "classical proportions." Here are a few books to get you started: The Geometry of Art and Life, by Matila Ghyka; The Elements of Dynamic Symmetry, by Jay Hambidge; and The Geometry of Design, by Kimberly Elam.

I've gone to the local libraries and read dozens of books on design, architecture and furniture, but I find that my favorite design ideas come from graphic design. After all, most furniture is just six flat surfaces joined together into a big box. Use graphic design techniques to make each visible surface quietly pleasing to the eye, add a tiny bit of the unexpected (e.g., break the line, plane or pattern), and you've got a piece of furniture that keeps the viewer's interest. Go to amazon and search for Kimberly Elam's book on designing with grid systems, and you should be able to find several more books on that topic. Hope this helps.

Regards,

John

John Timberlake
03-04-2007, 9:05 PM
I will echo the sentiment that modern does not mean junk. A couple of years ago I repaired a chair that I would describe as California version of Danish modern made in walnut. The movers had crushed it. I had to make one new piece and repair two other pieces. But I was impressed with how well made it was and it was very comfortable. Personally, I prefer to do 18th century, but my children seem to like more modern. So my recent projects seem to be going that way.

Earl Kelly
03-04-2007, 10:51 PM
Peter,

I would suggest you take a look at ICFF(International Contemporary Furniture Fair) www.icff.com. You won't find any plans there, but will see designs that may stir your imagination. Then you would only need to work out the "Mechanics of attachment" to build any piece you want. That's the way I approach any design project, work out the design first, then figure the best way to make it structurally sound.

peter slamp
03-05-2007, 12:13 AM
Thanks Earl, lots of great stuff there! I just spent almost an hour browsing. The one thing I definitely miss now that I don't live in a large metro area is access to stuff like this to inspire me. Hard to totally get a true feel without seeing things up close. Helpful anyways though.

Dave Fifield
03-05-2007, 6:33 AM
Here you go Dave...

Thanks Peter!

Thanks for the ICFF link Earl.

Earl Kelly
03-05-2007, 7:52 AM
Peter,

It isn't contemporary furniture, but since your in Asheville NC check out some of the Studio furniture at Grovewood Gallery. Some may be contemporary enought to suit you.

http://www.grovewood.com/index.php

Mark Singer
03-05-2007, 7:54 AM
Earl,
Those are both great sites to see designs and get inspiration...Thanks!

Mark Singer
03-05-2007, 8:23 AM
Peter,
Contemporary in many ways is more challenging.....the designer /woodworker must also design all of the joints , conections and interfaces between materials....sometimes metal and wood as in the table you like.. I found the long "I" beam in a surplus hardware store.. I have been wondering around places like that for 35 years finding interesting components to incorporate. The wheels on te nightstands were actually pulleys from a aerospace application. I used Eureka vacuum belts as tires and designed an axle system so it was possible to replace the tires.
Traditional furniture has many challeges as well, however the pieces are usually the same and they attch in the same way to surrounding pieces...there are many books like Thomas Mosers' that show schematics and even dimensions.
Starting with a blank sheet of paper, your course is uncharted and you will need to decide on connections...joinery...sizes of tenons and many special inventions...it is challenging and rewarding
On the aspect of fine woodworking ...there are no shortcuts...dovetails are dovetails and to make good ones in contemporary or traditional ....it takes practice.
If you take the Ikea designs and employ their construction techniques you will end up with Ikea quality...Euro fasteners and alignment dowels
Joining large flat panels that come out dead smooth and flat ... starting with boards in the rough takes practice. Shaping curved forms from stacked laminations is another different and challenging set of skills as in this table and lamp

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=5420&highlight=lamp

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=5424&highlight=table

Chairs are always a challenge in any style....in contemporary the wood often flows from leg to stretcher to back in a fluid organic movement....this takes experience as well
The point of my discussion is that you will not end up less versed in tradional woodworking techniques because you have chosen to build contemporary furniture.....in my mind the converse is true...the challeneges are many and the course is uncharted....you must figure out a lot and be versed in all the traditional techniques to make fine furniture

Jeffrey Makiel
03-05-2007, 9:20 AM
Peter,
Most of my projects are contemporary. Contemporary allows me to create my own unique designs. Although traditional, shaker or mission style is fine, I'm not that enthusiastic to simply reproduce it. Besides, it's alway nice to say that it's your own design when showing a piece to a friend. However, if I note a look of disgust or embarassment on their face, I readily blame the design on someone else. ;)

I consider the design work as part of my woodworking project, and a fun part of my woodworking hobby. I will often spend hours on my computer working up a piece. My brother's, who have a good eye for design and balance, provide valuable input. Learning a good software helps tremendously, and is fun for me. A pic below shows my next project for my bath remodel.

However, I will admit that I 'borrow' ideas and design elements from other contemporary pieces that I see in magazines, on the internet, in books, at unique furniture showrooms and catalogs. There isn't much that has not been done yet. It's a mostly a matter of finding it and adapting it to your liking. Even famous folks like Frank Lloyd Wright were influenced by others.

cheers, Jeff :)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/Beff2/MyVanity1200x960.jpg

peter slamp
03-05-2007, 9:27 AM
Peter,

It isn't contemporary furniture, but since your in Asheville NC check out some of the Studio furniture at Grovewood Gallery. Some may be contemporary enought to suit you.

http://www.grovewood.com/index.php

Thanks Earl! Wow, I gotta get out more! Ahh, life with a toddler. :)

peter slamp
03-05-2007, 9:43 AM
Peter,
Contemporary in many ways is more challenging.....the designer /woodworker must also design all of the joints , conections and interfaces between materials....sometimes metal and wood as in the table you like..

Mark, I do a bit of welding and have made a good bit of simple furniture using mild steel. I have seen quite a few modern pieces that incorporate metal as in your table and I love it. How did you fasten your wood to the metal if you don't mind me asking? By the way thanks for taking the time to impart some of your wisdom, it is really appreciated. Have you ever thought about teaching? It seems you would be a natural. :)

Jeff, it's kinda ironic that you showed me your design. I've been thinking about trying to design something just like that since I hate the stuff in my bathroom. I had just recently been browsing the internet for ideas. Thanks for your ideas as well.

This site is full of so many wonderfully talented and helpful people. Sometimes I get jealous that I'm nowhere near that right now. That's just how I am in everything. Thanks to all the wisdom and kind words, I feel I'm certainly armed to begin a lifelong journey. Thanks all! :D

Mark Singer
03-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Peter ...I made this sketch just for you:rolleyes: the table is 12 years old! The main top is bookmatched solid curly birch...a special piece I found

peter slamp
03-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Awesome Mark! I was gonna ask, but I didn't know if it was appropriate. Just wondering from that sketch, how do the stainless feet fasten to the box? Many thanks!

Mark Singer
03-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Awesome Mark! I was gonna ask, but I didn't know if it was appropriate. Just wondering from that sketch, how do the stainless feet fasten to the box? Many thanks!

The "I" beam has screws to the wood top. The veneered box is covered with 1/4" cocobola all around....then the solid stainless feet just go into holes w/ Roo Clear glue . Same on the upper the pistons are drilled into to the top. Only tey are not glued just frictin for moving. The 2 round legs are drilled through the top and the stainless and wood come together almost as an "inlay" then I sanded it flush...I have no more secrets......wel alsmost:confused:

John Stevens
03-05-2007, 10:40 AM
Peter, as a rule I don't post pics of my work, but here's a very simple example of what you can do with "classical proportions." It's a CD holder. The first pic shows it with the door open to give an idea of the scale of the piece. The second shows it with the door closed.

It's just three tall cabinets fastened together, but they're rotated a little bit so that their fronts don't form a single flat plane. I'm a lousy photographer, so it's hard to see that the face of each cabinet is divided into thirds by shadow lines. For each third, the proportion of the height to width is the square-root-of-five, and because the whole piece forms a 3x3 grid, the piece as a whole repeats the root five proportions of the component-cells. On the face, the depth of the "reveals" formed by the rotation of the cabinets is based on the "golden ratio" applied to the front-to-back measurement of the piece. In order to give the face a "quiet" or "peaceful" look, no visible hardware or door-handles were used. The photo doesn't show it, but the cabinets are raised above the base by a recessed, black 18mm spacer to give it a "floating" look, and each cabinet is separated from the adjacent one by a recessed, black 4mm spacer for a little "breathing room."

chris fox
03-05-2007, 11:36 AM
I havent been on a in a few days but this a interesting post. I am part of the bunch interested in modern approach to my designs. As Industrial designer, I ventured into this hobby so I could design and build my own furniture, built in, cabinents,etc. I havent built anything from a magazine or book yet. Mostly studying and learning from books and others on this forum and adding my own twist. Most of all applying basic design i.e. ergonomic dimensions(form follows function) first. The tough part is researching and learning how to build skills that Mark and others have described, its not really tough just takes time!:)

Chris

peter slamp
03-05-2007, 11:48 AM
then the solid stainless feet just go into holes w/ Roo Clear glue .

Thanks Mark. I was wondering if there was a glue that was useful in fastening wood to metal. Your secrets are safe with me! :D

peter slamp
03-05-2007, 11:52 AM
Peter, as a rule I don't post pics of my work, but here's a very simple example of what you can do with "classical proportions." It's a CD holder.

Thanks John for posting that for me. Very nice work! I love your thoughts on proportion. Man I could have used that before I got rid of my 800+ CDs to go digital! One of the main reason I got rid of the CDs was I couldn't find anything suitable and aesthetically pleasing enough to hold them all. That might have done the trick! You should have seen the garbage collectors look when he picked up a huge container filled with nothing but overflowing CDs. LOL! :D

John Miliunas
03-05-2007, 11:55 AM
Been "out of the loop" myself for the last few days and just stumbled on this thread. Count me "in" for being partial to contemporary design, as well. Though I've not been a "student" of contemporary design, I too find that Mr. Singer and Frank Lloyd Wright are my greatest influences. I'll be watching this thread closely henceforth! Thanks for all the great info, thus far! :) :cool:

Mark Singer
03-05-2007, 1:12 PM
Peter,
I used Einstein's Theory and quantum mechanics to design the Cramer coffee table:eek:

Just kidding...
Sometimes theories and formulas are intimidating and yeild esthetically average and somewhat rigid results...
When I have lectured to design students at universities , I ask them to feel free and violate the grid....break the golden section and ignor the tatami mat proportions...we study...we learn and then we improvise....freedom .....let it ring
Draw relationships as I have between the floor plane and the top...metal and wood....a hovering concept that challenges gravity

When still in Engineering school years ago I had a poem published that began with Einstien's beginning sentence in the explination of Relativity

"Forgive me Newton"

and it ended with this line

"There is no answer in a number"

The last line is worth remebering keep it simple and remember that someting that is well designed speaks for itself .....numbrs and formulas can not make it more pleasing.....as Krenov asks" Does it Sing"

John Stevens
03-05-2007, 1:15 PM
I love your thoughts on proportion.

Thanks, Peter, you're very kind, but I'm only using ideas that go back to the ancient Greeks. I'm glad you liked that simple example. Imagine how much more you can do when you mix proportions, break the plane in other ways, add curves, add color (with inlays or lamination of contrasting wood species, for example), add texture (e.g., lightly scoring a surface with a series of closely-spaced, parallel shadow lines or "V" grooves), mix materials, add legs, etc. So many possibilities can be taken from the world of graphic design.

John Stevens
03-05-2007, 2:46 PM
For all my talk about Grecian proportions, I agree with the bulk of what Mark says. I hope this doesn't seem argumentative, because I don't intend to be that way, but I'd also caution against "throwing the baby out with the bath water."

I think visual design is similar to cooking--both rely on "taste," some of which comes naturally, some of which is acquired, but all of which is a sensation that can't fully be described in words. To continue with the cooking analogy, even before we learn to cook, we learn that some tastes just don't go well together, but others do. When we learn to cook, we use time-tested formulas from cookbooks. Only after we learn the "classical" combinations of flavorings can we reliably put together novel combos (like pizza with pepperoni and pineapple) with confidence that the result will be pleasing.

So it goes with visual design, in my opinion. We see designs made by others, we like them, but we don't really know why. Then we learn a little about design "formulas"--classical proportions, the use of repetition or "rhythym", color theory, etc. After we work within the confines of these formulas, we begin to see how and when to disregard them in order to arrive at a novel result that pleases and captures the interest of the viewer. If we try to design before understanding the common formulas of design, we're in for a lot of trial and error, which is a frustrating and time-consuming way to learn.

I'd also like to respond to Mark's invocation of James Krenov. I like the quip Mark quoted--it's abstract, yet it's meaning is easily and viscerally understood. The problem is, it doesn't tell the reader anything specific, and as long as we're posting in a thread about learning modern design, I think it's germane to criticize Krenov's writing for this recurring fault.

I own all four of Krenov's books. They're nice picture books that have pretty furniture in them. Sometimes I use the pictures for design ideas. But when you read the text closely, you see that he used words in ways that make it impossible to understand what he meant. In fact, the more I read his books, the more I get the feeling that he intentionally used ambiguous language because he was either too lazy or too insecure to be specific about his theory of design. As far as the photos of his work go, I won't deny that Krenov worked with great precision to create beautiful furniture. But virtually the only things he made were "display cases," and if you look at his later books, you can see that they feature almost no new works. So as far as his books show, his body of work is really pretty limited. For that reason, I have a hard time accepting him as an "authority" in the area of furniture design.

In light the text and photos in his books, I see Krenov as being a very inspirational writer, but not one who really communicates valuable design ideas by the written word. I think he's one of the most overrated authors in the genre of books for the amateur woodworker, and although I think his books are worth owning, they're far down on my list.

Regards,

John

Prabha Gopinath
03-05-2007, 4:09 PM
I have drawn great inspiration from the following sources:
1. Solid-Wood Cabinet Construction: 70 Contemporary Designs with Details (http://www.amazon.com/Solid-Wood-Cabinet-Construction-Contemporary-Designs/dp/0942391977/ref=sr_1_1/002-5602108-7395257?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173128561&sr=8-1) by Franz Karg. The author is director of a woodworkign school in Garmisch-Partenkirchen (ski area south of Munich). The designs in this book are fabulous and alwasy inspire me to go out and make a lot of sawdust. As a bonus the skiing in Garmisch is also wonderful and the Felder factory is just a half day drive away. Amazon has copies of this at $12 used - a bargain at 10 times as much
2. Phaidon Press: Any of their books on contemporary architecture or contemporary design are must reads. The architecture books show some great furniture layouts.
3. I clip out ads from foreign newpapers and airline magazines. Their sensibilities tend to be more in tune with the furniture designs that I find appealing
4. Reader's Gallery at Finewoodworking.com

None of the above books have plans but half the fun is in scaling and designing to one specific context and local materials. Hope this helps.

Regards
Prabha
(P.S.: Recently joined this group and am finding it a great reasource - Thanks to all).

Mark Singer
03-05-2007, 4:39 PM
John,
I know what you mean about Krenov......and yet when he speaks of the "unknown" ..."Intuition" and is vague he is giving license to the artist.....everyman must find his own path....
His work is very focused and limited. He is a specialist and in his specialty he is unsurpassed....period! It is not fair to compare the recent work of a man in eighties to other younger crafstmen that he unspired. His work in 1970 thru the nineties is without equal! I say that as a woodworker who respects and admires him and I think of him with evry stroke of the saw sometimes.
Vague ...out there....yes. An inspiration to many great woodworkers definitley!
I have lived through decades of woodworking and trully feel the current Rennasance is inspired by Krenov, Frid , Maloof and others....The high quality handmade tools were not available just a few years ago....
Krenov doesn't do everything...what he does do, he does very well...and the woodworkers that trained at College of the Redwoods, many are friends, are among the best in the world!

Neil Lamens
03-05-2007, 5:53 PM
Hi Peter:

It is my style of building.........most clients want a bit of tradition thrown in, so I build in the style and "transition" with traditional icons .

It just so happens I'm building a simple Contemporary Lingerie Cabinet and have a vlog going on it.

It's over at blogger.com, and search "furnitology"....it will show up.

You can PM me for the address, not sure if I should post it here.

I'm on a DJ DePree kick right now and he's the man when it comes to manufacturing contemporary furniture.

Peter........Let me know what you think.

Neil