PDA

View Full Version : Weekend doin's?

Bob Lasley
12-12-2003, 10:26 AM
Good Friday Morning Everyone,

Winter has arrived in Okieland. We had snow this week and more expected tonight and tomorrow. Well, compared to what some of you have gotten, we haven't had any snow............and won't be getting any snow! We have Christmas parties to attend tonight and tomorrow night, but the rest of the weekend should be spent in the shop. I hope to have the five jewelry/music boxes nearing completion by Sunday night.

How's your prospect for sawdust this weekend?

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.................I'll be in the shop!

Bob

Jim Becker
12-12-2003, 10:40 AM
Some shop time; attending a friend's folk music CD release event tonight (she's also an occasional SMC-er) and dinner with friends on Saturday night. Low key weekend...it's been a very rough travel week due to the weather.

Tom Sweeney
12-12-2003, 10:55 AM
I finally got out in the shop last night, for the first time in about a month, & got my new propane heater checked out & did a few other clean up type things. The good news is the heater really does the job - I'll make a seperate post about it later.

Hopefully It's cleaned up enough that I can get some productive shop time in & knock out a few Christmas presents. I have some dry spalted maple that I can cut into big enough pieces to make some turned boxes & maybe even a bowl or 2. Plus I actually started gluing up a flat box last night - but I'm a little skeptical about the quality of the joints - might have to redo it. I also might do a few bowls right from the log to finished - & just let them warp. I need to get my chainsaw running to cut the bowl blanks up to do that though.

Saturday afternoon I have to meet a lady about doing a web site for her. this looks like it will be a decent size job which is good cause I'm getting laid off at the end of the month. I'm going to work on making my web design side business a full time career - & this one + the job I sold 2 weeks ago will help get it going.

Everyone have a safe & productive weekend!

Mike Evertsen
12-12-2003, 12:37 PM
hoping to work in the shop this weekend,,but have alot of other things going on too to get ready for the fat man's arrival,,,,,I have to get the recipe box done but I still have two weeks,,,,,

Noah Alkinburgh
12-12-2003, 1:06 PM
Too many projects and not enough time...

I have a hexangonal display pedestal I need to sand and glue up, a set of building blocks to plane and cut, a doll stroller to build, pens and keychains to turn, and a couple of other projects I'd like to start but who knows....

I will be living in a dust mask, face shield and ear muffs this weekend....the worse thing is that I know (or at least I think I know) that there are some things under the tree right now that would make it go faster, but I am not allowed :(

Noah

Kurt Aebi
12-12-2003, 1:51 PM
I plan to finish up an oak TV stand for the wife.
Package up the christmas gifts that we made this fall.
Make a gumball dispenser for our anual company "Yankee Swap" gift exchange. (A few of the ladies always have M&M's in a dish and thought one of them would love the dispenser).
Of course, I'll go to the local woodworker's warehouse stores to see if there is anything left. (Too bad they are going out of business - now I guess I'll have to live with the mail/WWW order and wait routine of old)

Have a Good, Safe weekend in your shop (or other activities)

Kurt

John Miliunas
12-12-2003, 2:01 PM
Mr. Freight Man is supposed to be here with the LT16 this afternoon, my buddy is supposed to come over tomorrow to help hang the Hot Dawg and it's my daughter's birthday this weekend. I DON"T think I have to go into details about any of the above! :rolleyes: Hey everyone, have a great and productive weekend! :cool:

Dennis Peacock
12-12-2003, 2:06 PM
<b>I'mma gonna livva in-uh de shoppa dis-uh weekend-uh......</b>

Ok....so much for my "furin" language knowledge. :)

I will be in the shop ALL WEEKEND and will L-O-V-E every single minute of it!!!! No CD Cabinet to work on and just plain ol' "tinkerin' " while I work on one of my son's Chest-of-Drawers. Maybe a little lathe work. Now, I just need to sell the rest of the pens I have turned. People aren't as excited about them as much as they were last year.

Dick Parr
12-12-2003, 2:37 PM
Work on the cabinet again. I did get the face frame installed today. Tomorrow I will work on installing the doors and getting it sanded down for stain. Just as I was starting to lay out the face frame, the wife decided she wanted the cabinet to look like and old cupboard, so I made a wide face frame. She’s happy, I’m happy… Since she wanted that look, I just happened to have a pair of doors that will fit. I can get them out of the way and save time making new doors.
Never can have to many clamps.

Wolf Kiessling
12-12-2003, 2:42 PM
[QUOTE=Bob Lasley]Good Friday Morning Everyone,

That's what you get for living up in Yankee Land in northern OK. Us southerners, 50 miles north of the Red River, don't have to contend with that stuff. We just have a little rain (could use more, also)

Gonna be in the shop all weekend, as usual. Am working on a turned/carved mesquite piece, a cowboy bust, a stylized bull, a clay mock-up of that Tiger Woman thing nobody liked (making some major changes with it), a magnolia bowl and, finally, a wizard spoon based on that Santa spoon I posted the other day. Just finished a rework of a mulberry bowl this morning. It was a natural edge bowl I turned last year and a piece of bark broke off the other day. I just busted off the rest of the bark and reshaped the rim and refinished the bowl with quick dry Velvit Oil. Actually, it turned out to be a happy accident, both I and SWMBO think this version of the bowl looks better than the original. The only things I anticipate finishing are maybe the magnolia bowl and the wizard spoon. I will naturally look in on Sunday's football game and if I can find a televised Packers or Cowboys game I will watch diligently. Otherwise, I just watch half heartedly.

Well, back to the races. Have a good weekend everyone. I will.......

Wolf

Eric Sanford
12-12-2003, 5:46 PM
other than possible son's basketball games, I'm gonna be in the shop all weekend trying to finish this display case which is a gift a co-worker wants to give to her husband....

Don Abele
12-12-2003, 5:58 PM
Eric, what is that display case going to display? I see little round divots on the shelves. Baseballs?

Be well,

Doc

Bud Duffy
12-13-2003, 12:08 AM
Not a lot os sawdust this weekend as i will be finishing up running the electrical stuff to get my nefiew (spelling) a woodworking shop set up in the basemant of his moms house . The lighting down there was akin to a cave now it is nice and brite just need to run the needed outlets and build a couple small work benches and move his scrollsaw and small 10in roybe table saw and when he gets the belt/disc sander his mom got him for xmas and the router i got him for xmas he should be on his way , he also has an older small rockwell drill press in the garage. It sure did make me feel good to see him decide he wanted to get started in wood working and i could help get him set up.To bad i have to get back to Idaho in two weeks hopefully my bro will step in and keep him on the right path.