PDA

View Full Version : Planing Question

James Mittlefehldt
03-04-2007, 4:03 PM
Something occurred to me this afternoon when I was in my shop, for the first time in a month or two, when you know you have to laminate two boards together to make up an appropriate width, do you flatten the two pieces seperatly, or do you joint them first glue them up and have at the finished rough width?

This occurred to me as one board was planed thicker and took a bit of effort to get theo whole thing flat. Lots of fun mind. Seems like a dum question but until now it never occurred to me.

Mark Singer
03-04-2007, 5:12 PM
James,
I often can remove a little twist when gluing up.... Start at one end and withem flush tighten the clamp....move to the center amd do the same.....move to the end and do the same... The spring in the boards will counter each othe and less flattening is required....it takes practice

Robert Rozaieski
03-05-2007, 8:28 AM
I just flatten one face and then joint one edge approximately square to that face. Basically I remove high spots from the edge and remove any bow from the edge prior to match planing the two edges to be glued together. You need one face flat to match plane but the other face can be done as a single panel after glue up. Saves a lot of time. "Four squaring" is not necessary.

Jerry Palmer
03-05-2007, 1:45 PM
I find that the more thickness I have before glueing up, the more thickness I can have when the panel is done. Get one face fairly flat on each board, knock off any obviously high spots on the other face, joint and glue up. If starting with rough sawn you need to see the grain to match it, so some planing is needed.

James Mittlefehldt
03-05-2007, 5:07 PM
Thanks guys I will take it to heart and see what happens.