PDA

View Full Version : China cabinet / buffet part 1 of..........

Brian Hale
03-04-2007, 1:24 PM
First of what could be many posts on our china cabinet / buffet combination built-in.

Yesterday, Saturday, we made the 1 3/4 hour trip to Hicksville Planning mill in Clear Spring Maryland to pick up the lumber and Baltic birch plywood needed for this 12' x 8' built-in. While the design hasn't been finalized we had enough information from our sketches to make a good guess at how much material we'd need.

The final tally

12 sheets BB ply; (4) 3/4", (2) 1/4" and (6) 1/2". These sheets are 5' x 5' and i'll have quite a few scraps let over for jigs and fixtures. ;) These will be used for the buffet portion as carcass sides and bottoms and some drawer and pullout bottoms.

85 bd ft of 4/4 soft maple 4" to 7" wide and all 8' long. This will be used for the drawer boxes (dovetail joinery) and supports for some of the wider and deeper drawers along with the sides of the pullout shelves.

300 bd ft of 8/4 quater sawn white oak. About 100 bd ft of these planks are 16' long with the rest coming in at 12' long. Widths came in at an average of 6" with a couple 16" footers at 9" wide. Heavy Stuff! The narrowest boards, 3 of them, are about 4 1/2" wide.

For the most part all the boards are straight, flat and true. Looking at the end grain there appears to be very little rift sawn boards with over half the boards having a true 85 to 90 degree grain orientation. It took LOML and I, along with 2 friends from work, about an hour and a half to get it all down the cellar steps and into the shop and i'll spend all of today getting it organized and put away.

We plan on using some black walnut in the design somehow, perhaps handles, wedges for the through tennons or something along those lines. It'll be a combination of design influences from Green and Green, Thos. Moser and some Asian style accents. Hopefully they'll all come together smoothly. :rolleyes:

Once we get the design finalized i'll start posting progress pics.

Here's a couple "before" pics ....

Brian :)

Howie French
03-04-2007, 1:28 PM
Brian, great looking wood, can't wait to follow this tread.
thanks for posting.

Howie

glenn bradley
03-04-2007, 1:29 PM
Ahhh, the raw materials excite me almost as much as the finished piece!

Dan Oliphant
03-04-2007, 1:30 PM
Love that QSWO, sounds like a very nice design. Looking forward to the progress photos.

Brian Hale
03-05-2007, 4:21 AM
Yep, something about raw material in the shop that just feels good! ;)

Can't wait to open it up and see what's inside but i'll wait a couple weeks first.

Brian :)

lou sansone
03-05-2007, 5:00 AM
good looking wood there. sounds like a good size project

best wishes
lou

Roy McQuay
03-05-2007, 5:08 AM
Hi Brian, looking forward to the thread. White oak is my favorite wood.