PDA

View Full Version : Another MesquiteNE!

Barry Richardson
03-04-2007, 10:49 AM
Gues I'll get on the Mesquite bandwagon. Here's a NE bowl I turned last week. I'm a newb tuner and I learned a lot on this one. I stripped most of the bark off the log before I cut it up because the Velvet Mesquite that mostly grows here in AZ hs shaggy bark that is just packed with dirt and grit deposited from dust storms over the years. Anywho, I'm happy with my first NE effort, It got a little hairy not having a bowl gouge though. The finish is BLO and tung oil finish 8" wide, 6" tall. Barry

Steve Schlumpf
03-04-2007, 11:23 AM
Nice NE Barry! Love how you used sapwood around the edge just for effect! Nice work!

Jason Hallowell
03-04-2007, 11:34 AM
Very nice! I love the chatoyance that velvet mesquite often has hiding inside.

Neal Addy
03-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Messkeet seems to be the Wood of the Week, huh?

Beautiful piece, Barry! You did a great job on a purdy piece of wood. I like the sapwood contrast. Your form shows it well.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Pretty little thing Barry!

Bernie Weishapl
03-04-2007, 1:16 PM
Barry that is a beauty. I like the form and finish.

John Chandler
03-04-2007, 1:53 PM
That is very nice looking. I think the color of it is interesting. You don't happen to have any "in-progress" pictures, such as the piece the way it started before making any cuts, then one ready to turn, etc. (kind of step by step)? I like the shape of your bowl. Good job.

Glenn Hodges
03-04-2007, 2:33 PM
Barry you picked a nice piece of wood to do a NE. That sapwood looks good in contrast with the dark.

Tom Sherman
03-04-2007, 3:01 PM
Nice work Barry, looks good to me I'm liking Messkeet more all the time, may have to try to acquire some.

Brian McInturff
03-04-2007, 7:07 PM
Barry,
Love the shape you used for this piece. It shows the contrasting colors off terrifically. I also like what you did with the bark as it gives it the effect that the rim is flared. Bark tends to have that masculine form as what you've done is given it a feminine form. Absolutely great!! Brian

Mark Pruitt
03-05-2007, 7:55 AM
Barry,
Having no personal experience with mesquite, I have no idea how close the picture is to an accurate representation of its true colors.:confused: All I know is, it's beautiful! I love the form as well. Great job!

BTW you say you don't have a bowl gouge. What did you use?

Barry Richardson
03-05-2007, 10:09 AM
Hey Mark, The color is accurate. I dont have much experience with mesquite, but most pictures I've seen look more reddish/brown. My bowl is turned from green velvet mesquite, and it seems to have more of a gold tint than honey and screwbean mesquite that I've seen. I read somewhere that mesquite is photo-reactive (like cherry) so maybe it will get darker over time, perhaps a mesquite expert will chime in on this.
BTW you say you don't have a bowl gouge. What did you use? I just have a set of craftsman standard turning tools, I used whatever gave me results, mostly the gouges for inside. I'm learning as I go:o . Barry