PDA

View Full Version : Questions about GI 25-200 lathe

Geoff Crimmins
03-04-2007, 10:03 AM
I have a couple of questions about the General International 25-200 variable speed mini lathe. I'm hoping there are some users of this lathe out there that might be able to help.

First, where is it made? I'm assuming it's made in either China or Taiwan, but I'd like to know which.

Second, I know the headstock pivots, but can it also slide on the bed?

Finally, is this lathe a noticable step up in size/capacity from the Jet mini?

Thanks,

--Geoff

TYLER WOOD
03-04-2007, 1:00 PM
General is a Canadian company. That being said, I've seen on their website that some of their stuff is made in Taiwan. Remember though Taiwan is not the same as China. I have some very good stuff from there. I have a friend that has one of the large General lathes. I have personally turned on it, WOW! Very smooth, even with very out of balance chunk. Not sure about the smaller, though if they are anything like their larger cousins, I would have no issues with it.

Chris Barton
03-04-2007, 1:20 PM
I believe the lathe you are referng to is the General "VS Maxi" lathe and while I don't own one I have looked over a demo unit at my local Woodcraft. This lathe looks like a great deal at around $500-600. The headstock swivels and it has an outboard turning stand that will accept the tool rest. The only thing that I could say was a little bit of a detraction was that the head and tail stocks on the demo unit were not perfectly aligned (out by about 1-2 mm). I figure that's something that you could work out during set up. The closest thing to it in comparability is the Oneway 1224 which does have a bigger motor and comes in at around $2,500 delivered.