PDA

View Full Version : Alan Lacer at Arrowmont

Brian McInturff
03-04-2007, 9:50 AM
So is anyone taking this week long class in June? I signed up for it last week and am really looking forward to it. Wish I could've afforded to stay on the grounds but I'll have to make the drive in everyday from North Knoxville. I'll stay at my brothers. Saves a little money and I get to see my niece too. Hope to run into some fellow Creekers or at least some from the net. It's nice to meet people who you've developed correspondance with over the years. Brian

Stephen Mushinski
03-11-2007, 9:22 AM
Brian,

North Knoxville is a fair drive to Arrowmont (1.25 hours?). You will be wasting a lot of time on the road and much of the experience of being at a place like Arrowmont. The price of a room includes all the meals so really it is a deal IMO. I have found the day starts early and ends late sometimes after 9pm. Sometimes I have been in the shop from 8am till they lock the doors at 11pm. So looking at it this way you may wish to think you cannot afford not stay on location.

Now it also depends on the instructor as some only will be in the class room from 9 - 5 but I believe they are few and far between. Anytime I have been there the instructor was in the room till after 8pm every night.

I have been told the traffic is brutal during the summer. I have only been there in March. You may want to consider it being a tourist mecca. Pigeon Forge is basically grid locked I do know this as I have been stuck in it a couple of times.

Enjoy the week either way!

Brian McInturff
03-11-2007, 10:11 AM
Thanks Stephen,
I was just talking to my brother about this yesterday. He said the traffic has gotten a lot worse plus there is construction on I40 through downtown knoxville and it's being diverted to I640 which is the route I take. He said it can get backed up pretty bad. I'm rethinking now where to stay. Plus I didn't know the instructors stayed around and I presume Alan would now, and, that the shop didn't close until 11pm. Might need to make a call tomorrow and get a dorm room. I really appreciate you pointing this out as it is my first class there. I haven't recieved my packet yet so I've got a question. Should I travel with my own tools and turning stock for use in the shop after class? Thanks, Brian

Halsey MCCombs
03-11-2007, 10:32 AM
If you can swing it stay at Arrowmont as they have evening demo on other shills. Plus as said most time can use the class rooms till late. They have tools you can check out or use your own. And the food is above average. I am sure you will enjoy it. Halsey

Paul Andrews
03-11-2007, 11:59 AM
Brian,

I know costs can be a controling factor, but as Stephen pointed out this is a special learning opportunity. A major part of your experience will be enhanced if you can see your way through staying on the grounds.

As for what to bring, a pad lock for your locker is a must as the rooms are not locked in your absence. Chucks and faceplates and the like are furnished. Turning tools are avaiable if you cannot bring your own, but I feel it is best to bring what you normally use. You will be paying a lab fee for supplies, but if there is a particular piece or type of wood you want to turn, it is always welcomed

Stephen Mushinski
03-11-2007, 4:08 PM
[quote=. Should I travel with my own tools and turning stock for use in the shop after class? Thanks, Brian[/quote]

Brian,

There is a shop fee which covers the wood you use plus any other materials ( about $70). It is the same for everyone whether you were to bring your own wood or not everyone pays the shop fee. I have never brought any wood with me but am coming from Canada, and crossing the boarder I worry about bring my tools never mind wood.

Yes if you are driving bring all the tools you like to use and your favorite sand paper and finishes. In the woodshop there are nice lock ups so bring a lock. The rooms are never locked unless you have a private room and then it is only from the inside when you are sleeping. I have been there twice and really there is not much to worry about. I never locked any tools up, room was left unlocked with computer and other stuff in my room. I did use the locker for my camera equipment as I had hoped to do some photography but I never had time.

I have told myself I will try and go there every year as my vacation. I am going in a couple of week to take a week with Ray Key. I was even able to talk my wife into going and she is doing a glass course. As you might be able to tell I am excited already wishing it was this week I was going.

Any other question fire away.

Steve

John Shuk
03-11-2007, 9:09 PM
Alan Lacer is a wonderful guy. I envy you the opportunity to spend a week with him. I had the good fortune to hit a few of his seminars at a symposium a few years back and enjoyed it very much. Very knowledgable and down to earth. A member of my turning club helps him teach in the summer named Andy Barnum. Andy is just as awesome a guy and if he is there helping out you will be in for a double treat.
Enjoy.