PDA

View Full Version : Workbench Question

David Barbee
03-04-2007, 9:26 AM
First off, I'm new to this forum. I have been a regular on woodnet forums for a few years. Recently I have turned my attention to handtools. I have been trying to learn subtle idiosyncrasies of handtools. I have a question about this pic in a recent Chris Schwarz article.

http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/cSchwarz/wenzloff/3.jpg

What is ^ (pointing). I can't figure out the purpose of this 'hook'? I have seen picture of something similar on some 1800's benches.

David

Chris Updike
03-04-2007, 9:31 AM
It looks to me like the piece is a planing wedge, used with a deadman at the other end of the bench. You wedge your piece on edge into that and hold the other end up with the deadman or bench dogs. The harder you push it into the wedge the stronger the hold.

Tyler Howell
03-04-2007, 9:33 AM
This is a SWAG but I think that hook will grasp a work piece when it is compressed by the tail vise.:confused: It looks removable . The owner my have many pieces that size that require support
Welcome to the creek.

Jim Becker
03-04-2007, 9:56 AM
I think the previous two posters are correct...same principle as the ripping wedge I have on my sliding table saw...you jam one end of the material in and clamp at the other end for a secure hold on it.

But I'm moving this to the Neander Forum (from GW) as there is more expertise on this kind of thing there.

David Barbee
03-04-2007, 10:02 AM
Seems like the leg vise he is using would serve those purposes? Would the leg vise and dead man not support the stock?

Andrew Homan
03-04-2007, 10:04 AM
David,

Everyone is correct about the purpose, but I'll add some info. The hook ("crochet") is derived from CS's work on building a French joiner's bench as described in the historic Roubo tomes. You can read more if you search his blog for "Roubo" or get the back-issue CD of Woodworking Magazine -- plans for the bench are in the August 2005 issue.

The hook is one of the basic features of the bench, which in it's stripped-down form doesn't even include the leg vise, but rather, a row of holes on the leg that can be used with an iron holdfast.
Cheers,
Andy

David Barbee
03-04-2007, 10:19 AM
Ahh...So would you have a dog on the side of the tail vise? The dog pushes the stock in to the wedge. Wish I had a pic of the whole bench, maybe it would make more sense then. Seems like this wedge method would smash the corners on your stock.

David Barbee
03-04-2007, 11:12 AM
That makes sense. I can see using that with a holdfast. Would have been much easier to build than a vise in the 1800's. This does look like the same bench that appreared in WoodWorking Magazine. Now I'm confused again. Why would you have the crochet sitting next to a leg vise and not have any holes for a holdfast in the apron (just a deadman)? Think he put this on there just for the nostalgia?

Mike K Wenzloff
03-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Hi David. The crochet simply allows the end of a board to wedge gently but firmly in place while the free end sits on a peg in a sliding deadman and the vise tightened just enough to hold the board vertical but not so much that you cannot remove the board. If needed a bench hook to hold the free end securely against the apron.

This is all a quick way to hold boards for end jointing, edge joinery such as Y&G, or details planed into the edges of boards.

In general, the stock is held gently by the crochet. And one typically is working with boards cut to rough length at this stage so any deformity would be trimmed off anyway--but there really isn't any except on the softest of woods.

Take care, Mike

Andrew Homan
03-04-2007, 7:31 PM
Why would you have the crochet sitting next to a leg vise and not have any holes for a holdfast in the apron (just a deadman)? Think he put this on there just for the nostalgia?

David,
The crochet works equally well with holdfasts or leg vise. The holdfasts go into the leg itself, not the deadman, which just has a peg for supporting long boards. There is no apron on a Roubo bench, just a thick top.

This design is older than 1800s, by the way.
If you're interested, there is more on the Roubo bench in _The Workbench Book_ (Landis).
Cheers,
Andy

David Barbee
03-05-2007, 8:11 AM
ok...I have seen several pictures of this bench but can never get to see the tail vise. Most of the pics I see where there are dog holes on the side of the bench they are in apron of the table top. I never thought they would be in the deadman. You'll have to forgive my ignorance, just trying to make sense of what I'm seeing. I appreciate your answers and patience.

Jasper Homminga
03-05-2007, 8:56 AM
never get to see the tail viseThere actualy is no tailvise in the original Roubo bench (http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/content/binary/shelf5.jpg) (Chris Schwarz added one later (http://www.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/Adding+A+Wagon+Vise+To+The+Roubo+Workbench.aspx)). You place the plank onto the frontal pegs (in the legs or sliding deadman) and then slide it into the crochet. During planing (right handed bench!) you push the plank into the crochet so everything is stable.

Jasper

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
03-05-2007, 9:14 AM
Hi David. The crochet simply allows the end of a board to wedge gently but firmly in place while the free end sits on a peg in a sliding deadman and the vise tightened just enough to hold the board vertical but not so much that you cannot remove the board. If needed a bench hook to hold the free end securely against the apron.

This is all a quick way to hold boards for end jointing, edge joinery such as Y&G, or details planed into the edges of boards.

In general, the stock is held gently by the crochet. And one typically is working with boards cut to rough length at this stage so any deformity would be trimmed off anyway--but there really isn't any except on the softest of woods.

Take care, Mike

Hey Mike,

Can you tell us something about that saw Chris is using...;)

David Barbee
03-06-2007, 8:35 AM
Interesting. The crochet must give more support than I'm giving it credit for.

David

Chuck Nickerson
03-07-2007, 12:22 AM
is that he will keep using something like that until he figures out why people preferred it in the first place. I talked once with him at a woodworking show, when he was having trouble getting used to a particular style of hand plane. He said he was going to give it a solid six months of use before discarding it. His willingness to do that sure benefits the rest of us.

Andrew Homan
03-07-2007, 7:22 AM
His willingness to do that sure benefits the rest of us.

Like when he insisted on using that Sauer and Steiner smoother. It was the ultimate sacrifice. ;) ;) :D
-Andy