PDA

View Full Version : You Know You Want It - Big Smile

Keith Outten
03-04-2007, 8:48 AM
I just can't help myself, the new ShopBot PRSalpha machines are starting to ship and I know that everyone wants one. I thought that those of you who haven't had the opportunity to see one of these machines up close and personal might enjoy a peek at a very slick new woodworking tool.

Visit the link below and watch the videos for just a small taste of what is possible, you will not be disappointed.

http://www.shopbottools.com/prsalpha_videos.htm

Bob Noles
03-04-2007, 9:06 AM
Pretty slick, Keith......

Kinda takes the fun out of messing up though :eek: I really like the DC and chip control concept.

Jim Becker
03-04-2007, 9:52 AM
Very impressive...I really can see how this technology is so important for many production shops these days! Cutting that lattice by other methods would be brutal!

Keith Outten
03-04-2007, 11:06 AM
Jim,

Even a small shop can get one of these babies nowdays. The PRT 48 inch model is well within a lot of budgets and they will pay for them selves real quick. These are fun machines as well as production capable. Imagine sitting on your shop stool drinking coffee while your ShopBot runs, and runs, and runs. Not being tired after a long day of cutting cabinet parts, doors or engraving signs is also a bonus :)

This is going to be my best year ever with my Bot. I hope to log lots of hours and finally get the chance to even play a little bit. The last two years have just been too hectic :(

Bob,

You can still mess up, and you can do it real fast :)

Fred Voorhees
03-04-2007, 11:13 AM
One of the bigger challenges of owning one of these machines would be where to put it in our shops. It seems to have a rather large footprint.

Glen Blanchard
03-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Jim,

Even a small shop can get one of these babies nowdays. The PRT 48 inch model is well within a lot of budgets.

Keith - I think it would be really cool to own one of these someday (when I have adequate shop space - read "our next house"). Is this the smallest version? What size is the footprint and how much do they cost?

Thanks.

Russ Cass
03-04-2007, 11:38 AM
:cool: Cool. I can fit it in the garage I think. Not going to fit in my mini-shop though.

Ted Miller
03-04-2007, 12:20 PM
I thought the same as Bob did. It seems like the more technology that goes into WW the less we have to measure, think and do...

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-04-2007, 12:35 PM
If they added two more axis of milling I'd probably want one.

Footprint
72" x 79" x 88"
1.83m x 1.94m x 2.24m

Cutting area
48" x 48" x 6"
1.22m x 1.22m x 0.15m

Cost $11,495

Keith Outten
03-04-2007, 4:42 PM
Keith - I think it would be really cool to own one of these someday (when I have adequate shop space - read "our next house"). Is this the smallest version? What size is the footprint and how much do they cost?

Thanks.

Fred and Glen,

Below is a link to the PRS Shopbot which is available in sizes from 48" by 48" starting at $7495.00
Just a bit bigger than a router table :)

http://www.shopbottools.com/prsstandard.htm

Keith Outten
03-04-2007, 4:48 PM
Cliff,

Below is the link to the five axis ShopBot. Click on the second link from the bottom of the list.

http://www.shopbottools.com/videolisting.htm

Bruce Page
03-04-2007, 5:04 PM
I love the way the cutter wiggles down in the z axis move! Very cool!
I would sure love to have one!

Bruce Page
03-04-2007, 5:10 PM
Cliff,

Below is the link to the five axis ShopBot. Click on the second link from the bottom of the list.
Keith, how difficult is it to program the 5 axis Shopbot? I know it can be very tricky in the machine shop world depending on the post processor.

Keith Outten
03-04-2007, 6:03 PM
Bruce,

The 5 axis machine is way out of my league, I have my hands full with the 3 axis Bot :)

I have heard remarks about learning to program the 5 axis machine being difficult but the software is supposed to be getting better. This may be good news for some but I doubt I would ever even give it a try :)