PDA

View Full Version : shop dilema

Michael Handrinos
03-04-2007, 7:54 AM
Hi all.

I have a question concerning my shop. It will be in the half of a now unheated/AC garage right now. I don't have the room for lumber storage so would it be a problem with keeping it in the basement which is heated/AC'd milling it upstairs and assembling it down stairs without adverse effects? Would it have to be done the same day?

I was going to put the shop in the basement but can't fit the major tools down there.

Thanks

Mike

Jim Becker
03-04-2007, 10:05 AM
In general, you'll be fine. It will be a good idea to bring the lumber up that you intend to use a few days before milling, however, to take care of any small differences in moisture equilibrium between the shop and the storage area.

Randy Acton
03-04-2007, 11:41 AM
I would agree there. When being moved in and out of different conditions, the wood needs time to stabilize.

I've found that wood will move (especially if not milled correctly) after a few hours, even if it never leaves the shop.

Ted Miller
03-04-2007, 12:12 PM
Hey Mike, I would kepp the lumber off the floor and build a nice rack so the wood does not have to be stacked 50 boards on top one another.

I remember awhile back when you PMed me about your 12" jointer since you and I purchased ours about the same time from York. You asked me about a mobil base and I said I keep mine on the floor. Well just had to move shops and now I have mine on a base. Since their are none out there to suit our model and weight I went ahead and just slapped one together using corners from a Shop Fox base with upgraded casters to handle the weight.

Here is the thread and take a look at post #2:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=52701

Jerry Olexa
03-04-2007, 3:41 PM
Hi all.

I have a question concerning my shop. It will be in the half of a now unheated/AC garage right now. I don't have the room for lumber storage so would it be a problem with keeping it in the basement which is heated/AC'd milling it upstairs and assembling it down stairs without adverse effects? Would it have to be done the same day?

I was going to put the shop in the basement but can't fit the major tools down there.

Thanks

Mike
Michael: I basically have been doing your system for 7 years now. I have my major shop inside in the basement. I have my milling stuff in a 3rd bay of the garage: TS, jointer and planer (all on wheels). All other tools are in the basement shop. I do the milling in the garage plus wood storage. All the precision work, assembly, routing etc is done downstairs in the shop. It works for me. As far as wood adjusting, I try to be sure it acclimates to the new temp brfore the next step...It works for me....HTH