PDA

View Full Version : Probably Need a Rotary Engraver too

Tracey Bakewell
03-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Ok, it's me again and all my metal (brass, sterling silver, etc) dilemmas. So, I'm really thinking it's probably worth me purchasing a rotary engraver to add to my business so I can capture the business I thought I was originally targeting (horse people) so I can do their brass name plates with more ease and consistency. I'm still not getting consistent results. Not that I'm going to give up my laser, I just think I should not be wasting so much time on the things I know another machine can do better???

Anyway, any advice for me. Keep in mind, I have a ULS 50 watt system right now that I absolutely LOVE. All I need to do is be able to do name plates on brass and other metals such as sterling silver chrome as well. I've done some ebay searches and seen some smaller desktop solutions for under $5k. I'd like to keep the costs low AND I'd love for it to be able to cut the brass sheets (but I think that's jumping up in price) so I have a lead on getting the items pre-cut.

Remember, keep the costs LOW :D

Dave Jones
03-03-2007, 11:44 PM
You might want read through the posts, and maybe post a question at engravingetc.com since there are quite a few people over there that use rotary engravers on metal. Beyond picking the right machine, there is also the issue of using the right bits, and then rotation and feed speeds.

I have never done rotary engraving, but from reading the posts I've seen mention of different engravers for flat metal vs ones that can handle large or odd shaped objects (called "gift" engravers). I've also seen mention of nose cones and a "featherweight" adapter for doing metal that has a curved surface or to do burnishing and light engraving is silver and other metals.

Mike Null
03-04-2007, 7:13 AM
Tracey:

None of the engravers that I am aware of will cut metal. You will need a portable shear to do that. Even with a shear you will have a hard time cutting .050"

You can find pantographs on the ebay quite reasonably (under a $1000). You will also have to buy fonts for the pantograph. A computer driven rotary engraver will run $4000 up depending on the features, age and condition.

The nice thing about pantographs is that they are portable in the event that you wanted to go to shows or other events.

Since you have a laser machine you can make patterns for a pantograph.

Tracey Bakewell
03-04-2007, 11:47 AM
Thanks Mike, I just surfed Ebay for 'pantograph engraver' and came up with about 5 different things. So, let me understand, it looks like these you have to use a pattern that's pre-cut into some sort of material that the engraver uses to follow to engrave on the brass so to speak. That way, I could make my own letters with my computer to create my custom letter patterns from my computer. The patterns look to be made of metal as well, could I make my patterns out of wood? Am I on the right track?

Larry Bratton
03-04-2007, 12:04 PM
[quote=Tracey Bakewell]Ok, it's me again and all my metal (brass, sterling silver, etc) dilemmas. So, I'm really thinking it's probably worth me purchasing a rotary engraver to add to my business so I can capture the business I thought I was originally targeting (horse people) so I can do their brass name plates with more ease and consistency. I'm still not getting consistent results. Not that I'm going to give up my laser, I just think I should not be wasting so much time on the things I know another machine can do better???

Anyway, any advice for me. Keep in mind, I have a ULS 50 watt system right now that I absolutely LOVE. All I need to do is be able to do name plates on brass and other metals such as sterling silver chrome as well. I've done some ebay searches and seen some smaller desktop solutions for under $5k. I'd like to keep the costs low AND I'd love for it to be able to cut the brass sheets (but I think that's jumping up in price) so I have a lead on getting the items pre-cut.

Tracey, remember that your laser is just another tool. A pipe wrench is a tool, but you wouldn't want to use it to work on a watch. I have a Vision 16x24 rotary engraver and it doesn't cut metal very well at all. If I have metal to engrave, I cut it with a small bandsaw with a metal cutting blade or if it's a lot, I do it on our CNC router, then engrave. When I engrave aluminum with the rotary, we apply a chemical (Aluminum Oxide) to turn it black. Johnson Plastics also sells a Brass Oxide for the same purpose. Good luck with your brass projects, but I suspect, rotary might be a tool you would want to acquire.

Rodne Gold
03-04-2007, 12:08 PM
Most small computerised engravers will do , and most these days can do multipass cutting to shape the brass you have on the table , for exaample you should be able to engrave a mhorse head in brass and use the same engraver and cutter to cut the brass into the shape of a head. You will need engravers brass and a fairly sturdy and powerful spindle and spindle motor.
You need a modernish machine with decent software. I dont think 5k is gonna cut it unless you get a 2nd hand machine. For your application , a roland EGX 300 would do , but not be ideal. It can do nice engraving and can do multipass and we use ours to do what you want , brass name plates , burnishing , engraving on card cases etc.
I think most any modern puterised machine will do.
If you buy a manual one , you can easily make templates in acrylic on your laser so you can do fancier work.
The combo of a laser and a rotary is very potent , cos you can mix media and use one machine to process one and the other the other.
For example , you could use the engraver to cut 1mm brass in the shape of the horses head and then photoengrave the yhead in black pex , cut it slightly smaller than the brass , fill it with gold paint and apply to the brass backing for a stunning horse portrait.
You could then engrave and cut a brass plate that hangs below on 2 chains for names and dates.
I can think of a zillion hossy things you can do with that combo and im not a hossy person.
another combine app , You could for example do perspex badges with a complex logo and keep them in stock and let the rotary do the personalising when the customer wants new ones.

Tracey Bakewell
03-05-2007, 2:09 PM
What does anyone think of this machine by Roland?

www.signmakingequipment.com

Roland EGX-300

??? I'm thinking of buying the online special? I like the idea of being able to do 3D engraving and the picture they show for samples are promising? I did a search on thsi forum for Roland and see a few people mention them but the posts are a little old. Is there a similar machine for less $$$?

Thanks!
Tracey

Larry Bratton
03-05-2007, 3:54 PM
What does anyone think of this machine by Roland?

www.signmakingequipment.com (http://www.signmakingequipment.com)

Roland EGX-300

??? I'm thinking of buying the online special? I like the idea of being able to do 3D engraving and the picture they show for samples are promising? I did a search on thsi forum for Roland and see a few people mention them but the posts are a little old. Is there a similar machine for less $$$?

Thanks!
Tracey

Tracey
That's a mighty small table size. 12" x 9". That may be large enough for you however, I would want a bigger table if it were me. It's been awhile since I researched the rotary engravers but best I recall I didn't buy a Roland because at the time, they supposedly had a good many plastic parts in them. I bought a refurbished Vision 16x24 but it was twice what a $4000 Roland was. If your not in a big hurry you might look around some before you lay out nearly 4K and end up with something that might not be adequate. Just my 2cents.

Rodne Gold
03-05-2007, 4:03 PM
It's not an ideal 3d machine , but its capable. The price is too high new, you can pick em up 2nd hand at 1/2 the special price.
There is limited Z clearance on that machine , so its limited to flat stuff mainly , you would struggle to use it on giftware. The spindle power is a bit piddly too. Its great for plates tho and the software is a little limited but very easy to use but you can use it with very sophisticated software and do some complex things with it.

Go to the Roland site and go to support and look at some of the support files that are posted. One is very good , the engraving for profit one.
http://www.rolanddga.com and go to advanced solutions , use the support wizard for the Egx 300 and go to "end user resources" (includes a manual)
It is the same machine as the PNC2300A and that you can get for even cheaper - perhaps as low as $1200 -1500. For your type of work , plates and cut brass , we use Techno-isels with 1.2 hp spindles and for heavy duty type stuff , a TekCel with a 5 hp high speed spindle. The 300 we have is used for the lightest duty stuff and a lot for smaller runs when we need to get something out quick.
There is also an engraving users forum under support , read the forum for more insight.