PDA

View Full Version : Router Questions (your favorites?)

Rob Will
03-03-2007, 10:01 PM
For the last 20 years or so I have owned a Craftsman router equipped with a trigger switch in the handle. This makes sense to me because I can keep both hands on the router during start / stop.

Well.....the trusty old $39.95 (can you believe it?) router is getting noisy and I want to get a couple of additional routers for the new shop.

For a freehand router I will keep my old Craftman around till it dies. In addition, I would like to know your favorite plunge router for freehand use (?). I like the location of the trigger switch in the handle but it seems like many manufacturers are not building those models. I did see this model with a Rockwell name on it (see attached photo). Who is building it and is it any good? It looks really clean and ergonomic to me.

For router table use, it seems many people like the Bench Dog cast iron lift with a Porter Cable 7518 motor. Your thoughts or any other favorites?

I'm a little puzzled as to why so many routers on the market have little side handles that look like a door knob. It seems that big vertical "grips" would afford a lot better control (?).

Rob

Jim Becker
03-03-2007, 10:09 PM
Favorite plunger for hand-held use is my Festool OF-1400 EQ.

Favorite fixed base/D-Base for hand-held use is my DeWalt DW618.

My table router is a PC 7518 which is about to move from a Rout-R-Lift to a Bench Dog lift.

Steven J Corpstein
03-03-2007, 10:12 PM
Hand held is definitely my Festool OF 1400 and in the table, PC 7518.

Allen Bookout
03-03-2007, 10:13 PM
I agree about how good the switch is in the handle where it belongs. I don't know why they all do no do that. A very good plunge router that I have that has the switch in the handle is the DeWalt 621. You have to hold it on and would prefer an on/off switch in the handle like I converted my old Craftsman to. I now use that one for a good laminate trimmer.

For a router in a table I have the Milwaukee 5625 mounted on a Woodpeckers aluminum plate. No lift required. I am very happy with it.

Rob Will
03-03-2007, 10:58 PM
For a router in a table I have the Milwaukee 5625 mounted on a Woodpeckers aluminum plate. No lift required. I am very happy with it.

Allen, that brings up a very interesting question. To "lift" or "not to lift".
I like the look of the Woodpeckers mounting plate but I have not been around these plates or any of the modern router lifts. What would be some pros and cons to router lifts vs. router plates?
Rob

Rob Will
03-03-2007, 11:06 PM
[quote]Hand held is definitely my Festool OF 1400[quote]

You guys have to convince us "traditional" router folks as to what that handle thingy does on the side of the Festool OF 1400. I'm holding my head sideways to look at it;) . Do you really like that handle?
Rob

Mike Heidrick
03-03-2007, 11:07 PM
Above table and pluge router - Dewalt 618 - Love the D-handle
Bosch colt for trim routing
Table router is the Milwaukee 5625 mounted in a Woodpecker PRL - Easy and precise router raising and height adjusting above the table as well as above table router bit changes.
New favoriter though - Delta 43-460 5hp Big shaper - soon to have a BIG feeder.

Rob Will
03-03-2007, 11:23 PM
Table router is the Milwaukee 5625 mounted in a Woodpecker PRL - Easy and precise router raising and height adjusting above the table as well as above table router bit changes.

Here's the Woodpeckers PRL, looks a lot more complicated than the Bench Dog but then again......lots of features. Anybody been around and used various lifts?

Rob

Allen Bookout
03-04-2007, 12:06 AM
Allen, that brings up a very interesting question. To "lift" or "not to lift".
I like the look of the Woodpeckers mounting plate but I have not been around these plates or any of the modern router lifts. What would be some pros and cons to router lifts vs. router plates?
Rob
I have never used a lift so I cannot speak on that subject except to say that if you have, or buy, a router that does not require a lift why spend all of that extra money. With the Milwaukee 5625 you can raise or lower it from above or below the table and change bits above the table with offset wrenches, or just drop it out the bottom and set it on top of the table for changes. I really, really like mine.

It seems to me that the only reason to buy a lift is if you already have a router that is not suitable without a lift.

I have seen a few reports on another router that is suitable for table use without a lift and the guys seem to really like it. Generally plunge routers are not the first choice for table use but the new Tritons are a whole different animal evidently. They have a 2.25 and 3.25 model which I would prefer power wise. I do not have one but I think that they deserve a close look. Do a Google search and there are a lot of resourses.

Vijay Kumar
03-04-2007, 12:40 AM
I have decided on a PC 7518 and a Jessem Mastr Lift. I was considering a Bench dog lift or a Woodpeckers PRL, but the price on both those units is considerably more than the Jessem at Amazon with the current 20% discount and free shipping. I like the Jessem which is quite robust no less so than the Bench Dog or the PRL.

Your other option is to buy a router such as Freud or Milwaukee with a built in lift.

Dave Malen
03-04-2007, 12:48 AM

You guys have to convince us "traditional" router folks as to what that handle thingy does on the side of the Festool OF 1400. I'm holding my head sideways to look at it;) . Do you really like that handle?
Rob

It's comfortable and convenient like a D handle router.
Dave

glenn bradley
03-04-2007, 2:21 AM
For router table use, it seems many people like the Bench Dog cast iron lift with a Porter Cable 7518 motor. Your thoughts or any other favorites?

Mil 5625 (I'm still impressed everytime I use it). You'll notice that many lift makers now have models for this beast. JessEm has built an entire system around this Model (a bit pricey for me though):
http://images.rockler.com/rockler/images/29833-01-500.jpg

Bob Noles
03-04-2007, 9:10 AM
I would have a hard time finding anything that would work better for me than my DW618. It just feels good and works without effort.

pat warner
03-04-2007, 11:11 AM
621 (http://patwarner.com/dw621.html) for most fun with a plunger.

Ken Garlock
03-04-2007, 12:39 PM
621 (http://patwarner.com/dw621.html) for most fun with a plunger.

I'll drink to that.:D

Mark Singer
03-04-2007, 12:42 PM
The Bosch pair are excellent! Ithink the Dewalt 621 is also great!

Sammy Shuford
03-04-2007, 1:06 PM
Here's the Woodpeckers PRL, looks a lot more complicated than the Bench Dog but then again......lots of features. Anybody been around and used various lifts?

Rob

Yes, I have Woodpecker's PCL, with a Bosch EVS1617? on it. Love it to death.

Simple, accurate adjustments, has never bound up or had any problem.
My cabinet and dust removal does keep it very clean.

I will send via emai or post here pictures if anyone want's to see.

Jesse Thornton
03-04-2007, 1:32 PM
The two I've used most are the DW621 and the Bosch 1617EVSPK combo kit. Being able to switch bases with the Bosch is really nice, and overall it is an excellent kit, but I really preferred the feel and features of the DeWalt. It has a really nice depth stop and micro adjust, having the trigger in the handle is great, changing bits is easier (one wrench instead of two), I prefer the ergonomics, and the plunge motion was a bit smoother. Allen: In your post you said that the DW621 trigger had to be held on and therefore you prefered having an on/off switch, but actually you can lock the trigger on by pushing forward and down with your thumb while the trigger is pulled in, and then with pressure still on your thumb let the pressure off of your fingers. It's a funny motion at first, but it's quite easy once you get used to it. Pull the trigger again with your fingers to release it. Oh yeah, I should mention that at one point the bosch on/off switch filled up with fine sawdust and had to be taken apart and cleaned out before it would work again. Otherwise it's performed well.

Allen Bookout
03-04-2007, 2:22 PM
Allen: In your post you said that the DW621 trigger had to be held on and therefore you prefered having an on/off switch, but actually you can lock the trigger on by pushing forward and down with your thumb while the trigger is pulled in, and then with pressure still on your thumb let the pressure off of your fingers. It's a funny motion at first, but it's quite easy once you get used to it. Pull the trigger again with your fingers to release it.
Jesse,

By golly you are right. I have used that router quite a bit and never knew that. I alway just assumed that the thumb portion was to keep you from accidentialy turning it on. I guess that I should read the directions. A few weeks ago I was cutting out some circles and it was driving me crazy having to walk around the table to hold the switch on. Maybe there are a lot of guys that do not know that as you are the only one that has ever corrected me.

Thanks for the information!

Allen

Steve Rowe
03-04-2007, 3:26 PM

Rob

No convincing from me. Repeat after me: "ignorance is bliss" :D. Repeat as many times as necessary to convince yourself that "traditional" is best. And, I do like that handle - very easy to control and gives the ability to perform a one-handed plunge.

Festool OF1400 - best router I have ever owned and I have owned many including several different models of PC, Bosch, Makita, Hitachi, and (gulp) Craftsman. I always choose the OF-1400 except when using the Leigh FMT. For the FMT, my Bosch 1613EVS is permanently dedicated. The rest now serve as rather ineffective "dust collectors".
Steve

Bob Marino
03-04-2007, 5:18 PM

Rob

Rob,

That handle configuration aids in using the router on the guiderails.

Bob

Mark Singer
03-04-2007, 5:30 PM
The Festool 1400 is really great when conrolled by the guide rails...I keep a 1/2" up cut in it all the time and use it to mortise with great precision. The turn to lower knob works well ...I plunge down a little...slide the router to the stop on the rail....then back to the other stop and soon I have a perfect mortice! If you get a Festool , there is only one place! Bob Marino...one very helpful and responsive guy!

John Lucas
03-04-2007, 6:07 PM

Rob
Rob,
Yes, you hold your head sideways if you want to route the traditional way... i.e. both grips athwart the cut. But think about this: you want to route in the away direction so you point the rounded knob in that direction and you push with the pistal grip. It is only when you try to route as you learned with the two equal knobs when the Festool OF1400 feels odd. You know how sometimes you wobble during the cut with the two knob routers? You do not do this with the OF1400 type because the hands are not balanced left and right. They are both on the cut line with the push being in the right direction for better balance.
I have about 24 routers in the shop right now and have tried every one of them and it makes me appreciate the Festool OF1400 configuration but it took me a time or two to get used to it. Now, I wouldn't switch.