PDA

View Full Version : Pulled out my card at Woodcraft, 14 inch Rikon band saw

Bill Leung
03-03-2007, 8:30 PM
I've been looking to get a bandsaw for a while and made the decision to go with the plain old 14 inch Rikon ($400 sale) instead of the 18" Rikon, Deluxe and the MM E16. I know the thought by most members is to go with the 18 first since you'll be there eventually anyway but I'm one of those guys that has to learn the hard way. After thinking about it here were some reasons for my choice,

I currently didn't have the need for the 12 inch resaw capacity.
I needed the BS to start using as I didn't have one yet. If I use it a lot, I could justify the MM16.;)
I know there are some big differences and improvements between this saw and the deluxe but I was willing to work with the basic model.
I haven't been able to find info on this site from other members. Are there any out there that can share their experiences with the non deluxe model?

With the money I saved (instead of buying a 18inch or the deluxe), I was also able to pick up the Jess-Em mast r slide as well.:D

Pete Brown
03-04-2007, 9:50 AM
Nice haul!

Be sure to let us know how the bandsaw works out. I'm sure you'll like it.

If you do get the itch to upgrade in the future, keep this one, as it is often easier to keep a small and large bandsaw around rather than change blades :P

Pete

Ted Miller
03-04-2007, 11:08 AM
Thats great Bill. I was in Woodcraft yesterday for their March sale and they had 5 Rikon BS on the floor. Thats the most BS I have seen from Rikon at one time, and they were all sold. Seems it was a serious lathe day as well since 20 of them were gone by 10:00 am...

Bill Leung
03-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Pete, that was the plan, get the 14" setup and use it..keep it if it does everything I need, get the MM16 if I need something bigger and then decide if I have the space to keep it around.

Ted, my WC just got 7 deluxes and they were all presold. It would have been a good deal with the 10% and the owner offered to sell me one at the sale price and order one for me but I thought I could use the Mast R slide as well. I almost got the Rikon 6" Jointer as well as I need one of those too.
If only I had unlimited time and money!

Ted Miller
03-04-2007, 12:21 PM
If only I had unlimited time and money!

LOL, I keep telling LOML that she needs to haver another job to support my tool aholic habit...