PDA

View Full Version : Domino - Tap. Tap. Tap.

Pete Brown
03-03-2007, 7:51 PM
The problem with ordering that in advance is I keep seeing things where I could do it faster/better if I just had the domino now.

I keep asking myself "can I wait a month on that piece?" lol :D

Pete

Russ Massery
03-03-2007, 8:12 PM
I saw one in person for the first time at my local Woodcraft today. I'm not really that impressed. I feel the Domino's are a little small and short to be a good tenon. My opinion only, I was however impressed with the unit itself.

Per Swenson
03-03-2007, 8:18 PM
Pete,

I can commiserate a little.

I just finished a large Project where on a daily basis

the litany ran with, "sure wish I had that flippin domino."

But as the saying goes, I refuse to live in the past and or wish

dwell in it. Instead I look forward to the time and money this tool

can and will save me on the next one.

So fire and forget.
http://www.woodshopdemos.com/fes-sc-19.htm

Per

Per Swenson
03-03-2007, 8:24 PM
Russ,

I can assure you the dominos are plenty strong.

So strong in fact on the barrail I joined together,

two pieces 12 foot long solid mahogany,

combined estimated weight, 60 lbs dry fitted.

I was able to lift one end of the assembly to where

the middle was suspended in mid air.

The joint did not break or move. Nuthin.

Per

Russ Massery
03-03-2007, 8:40 PM
Thanks Per, I stand corrected. Just my a uneducated observation.:rolleyes:

Russ

Joe Jensen
03-04-2007, 12:48 AM
I received mine yesterday. I was one of the extremely lucky winners of a complete Domino setup from Festol. Yeah...joe

Tim Martin
03-04-2007, 1:04 AM
I saw one in person for the first time at my local Woodcraft today. I'm not really that impressed. I feel the Domino's are a little small and short to be a good tenon. My opinion only, I was however impressed with the unit itself.

Hi Russ, as an owner/user of a Domino, I can assure you the 1" long tenons are plenty strong.

I almost broke my wrists when I was clamping up this workbench I made.

The time a domino saves has to be seen to be believed.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-04-2007, 10:00 AM

I have had exactly that though running through my head. It's a tad small. There are guys who double the biscuits up making 'em thicker (not deeper tho').

Maybe the much vaunted german engineers have made all the necessary calculations and have decided that they and they alone know how to make two sticks of wook adhere to each other.

Maybe. I dunno, but unless I get in a position where I have a great need to use a whole lot of biscuts and a portable biscuit cutter ( oops mortise cutter) I think I'll stick with my slot mortiser.

Tim Martin
03-04-2007, 5:19 PM
I have had exactly that though running through my head. It's a tad small. There are guys who double the biscuits up making 'em thicker (not deeper tho').

Maybe the much vaunted german engineers have made all the necessary calculations and have decided that they and they alone know how to make two sticks of wook adhere to each other.

Maybe. I dunno, but unless I get in a position where I have a great need to use a whole lot of biscuts and a portable biscuit cutter ( oops mortise cutter) I think I'll stick with my slot mortiser.

Hi Cliff, sure there are plenty of applications where a longer tenon is required, but have you ever tested how much stronger overall a 2 1/2" long tenon is compared to a 1" long tenon?

I'm not knocking your slot mortise machine as I would love to have one, but how long do you think it would take to do 128 mortises 10mm x 22mm x 25mm deep on it?

Pete Brown
03-04-2007, 7:01 PM
I received mine yesterday. I was one of the extremely lucky winners of a complete Domino setup from Festol. Yeah...joe

And just how did you manage that? :p

PEte

Frank Chaffee
03-04-2007, 9:19 PM
Cliff, assuming equal tolerances between tenon and mortise with Domino and slot mortiser, and assuming that the joint is glued, why would a longer tenon be superior? Were we talking moments on timber frame members, I could see your point, but the Domino seems to be directed towards furniture-scale work, where the determining factor is strength in shear.

Joe Jensen
03-05-2007, 12:04 AM
And just how did you manage that? :p

PEte

There is a Festool users group that was on Yahoo. They recently moved to a proper web forum and Festool donated 5 complete Domino kits to use as incentive to get people to register on the new site. They gave one a away each week. I won week 4. The last one has been given away. I think there was around 750 people registered, so the odds were pretty good...joe

Dennis O'Leary
03-05-2007, 12:56 AM
Cliff, assuming equal tolerances between tenon and mortise with Domino and slot mortiser, and assuming that the joint is glued, why would a longer tenon be superior? Were we talking moments on timber frame members, I could see your point, but the Domino seems to be directed towards furniture-scale work, where the determining factor is strength in shear.

Yep - and two 10x20x50mm dominos will cover almost any large furniture joint.

Randy Lowder
03-05-2007, 7:09 PM
I love your work. Just where is this bar your showing your talents building located? I would love to see it in person.

Tim Martin
03-05-2007, 8:00 PM
I love your work. Just where is this bar your showing your talents building located? I would love to see it in person.
:confused: Who are you referring to?:confused:

Eric Wong
03-05-2007, 8:19 PM
I'm hoping one of the major magazines does another "tenon test". A couple years ago, Fine Woodworking did this. Other magazines have done similar types of tests.

Now that the Domino is making such a buzz, maybe its time to fire up the test gear again!

Per Swenson
03-05-2007, 8:19 PM
AAAhhh That would be me

And thank you. That project should be officially finished

this week. And it is in Livingston NJ.

Heres a teaser pic or two from 2 weeks ago....

Per

Jim Becker
03-05-2007, 9:18 PM
Per, the patrons of that club are going to think they have been transported to "where no man has gone before"...gorgious!!

Glen Blanchard
03-05-2007, 9:46 PM
I think there was around 750 people registered, so the odds were pretty good...joe

That's easy for you to say. :( :( :( :(

Dan Clark
03-05-2007, 9:52 PM
That's easy for you to say. :( :( :( :(

Especailly when Joe was one of the five and we were one of the 745! :o

Overall, I'm fine with the outcome. The people who got one are doing good things with them. That is what's important. (Of course, that's one of the dumb things that the losers say.)

Dan.

Ted Miller
03-05-2007, 11:35 PM
Per, very nice and clean work, awesome...

Tim Martin
03-06-2007, 5:32 AM
Oh, I thought Randy was yanking someones chain:o , my bad.

Per, that is classy work.:cool:

Randy Lowder
03-06-2007, 2:44 PM
Sorry, Thats to Per.

Dennis O'Leary
03-20-2007, 2:38 AM
The problem with ordering that in advance is I keep seeing things where I could do it faster/better if I just had the domino now.

I keep asking myself "can I wait a month on that piece?" lol :D

Pete

Only 10 'big sleeps' to go now fellas......