PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic Bandsaw Guides

Bill Reed
03-03-2007, 6:09 PM
Are the Laguna ceramic blade guides really better than the European ones?

glenn bradley
03-03-2007, 6:21 PM
I've read mixed reviews. Most prefer bearings but acknowledge that the Laguna's are 'unique'. There are quite a few Laguna owners here at the Creek. I'm sure they'll speak up.

Jim DeLaney
03-03-2007, 7:02 PM
I like the ceramic guides on my LT16 so well that I replaced the back bearings on my 14" BS with the ceramic washers. I am still using cool blocks on the 14", but may switch them over to ceramics, too.

The ceramic guides do work very well, although I'm not sure they're a lot better than other types. The Laguna configuration actually stabilizes the blade it two places - about an inch apart - both above and below the table, so maybe they do provide a little bit of extra support.

Gotta say, though, that the occasional sparks coming off the ceramics are a little bit disconcerting, though.

Ted Calver
03-03-2007, 8:46 PM
I added them to my Laguna 24 when they first came out and have not regretted it.

Robert MacKinnon
03-04-2007, 9:56 AM
Are these guides able to be retrofitted to other makes of bandsaws than Laguna? I have a Centauro 500 (20") which is the brand used as the basis for the Laguna line. My current guides are original and should be replaced at some point in time (the previous owner neglected the bandsaw to the point that wood pitch froze the guides and heat buildup melted the plactic portion of the guides).

Jim Becker
03-04-2007, 10:03 AM
Robert, the Laguna guide are available for other saws...relatively easy retrofit for saws with Euro guides already. Pop the old ones off, slide the new ones on. Adjust. Cut.

Mike Wilkins
03-04-2007, 12:43 PM
I got my Laguna LT-18 before the ceramic guides were made OEM by the folks at Lagung. I retrofitted the new ceramic guides later and have been very pleased. The old Euro-style guildes were OK, but the failure of the original upper thrust bearing hastened my decision. Like others, the occasional spark is kind of un-nerving, but not a hazard at all.
They provide lots of support over a wide part of the blade, especially for the
1" and larger blades, and help keep it clean also(removing pitch).
Laguna does sell replacement kits for other manufacturers' bandsaws.

John Fry
03-04-2007, 3:10 PM
I like the ceramic guides on my LT16 so well that I replaced the back bearings on my 14" BS with the ceramic washers. I am still using cool blocks on the 14", but may switch them over to ceramics, too.

The ceramic guides do work very well, although I'm not sure they're a lot better than other types. The Laguna configuration actually stabilizes the blade it two places - about an inch apart - both above and below the table, so maybe they do provide a little bit of extra support.

Gotta say, though, that the occasional sparks coming off the ceramics are a little bit disconcerting, though.

I think the real benefit of the Laguna ceramics, is just like Jim said, this design has TWO support points above the cut and TWO support points below the cut. I think this configuration has to provide a greater deflection resistance over the blocks and bearing setups. Also, the ceramics can basically "touch" the blade on both sides for better support and guidance.

I'm on my second Laguna Band saw now and after using them for five years, I think the guides are great.

As to the "sparking" that some seem to be concerned about, this doesn't bother me at all. After all, have you ever looked inside your router, or any other universal motor with brushes. Think about where the dust falls when using your table mounted router.

Steve Rowe
03-04-2007, 3:32 PM
I upgraded the euroguides on my LT-18 with the ceramic guides. No regrets whatsoever. Very easy to setup and much easier to adjust than the euroguides. Also, no bearings to seize up.
Steve

Tom Steinke
03-04-2007, 4:13 PM
I bought an LT 20 about 2 years ago and it came standard at that time. I basicly do resaw work with it and it does a fine job for me. I have a 14" rockwell with ext. block that I bought about thirty years ago that had the side blocks and back berring that I still use occasionally but I sure don't miss those set ups.:)

Tom Cowie
03-04-2007, 4:59 PM
I also have an LT-20 Laguna , ceramic guides are great.

Tom