PDA

View Full Version : New Yankee Worshop - What is going on?

Justin McCurdy
03-03-2007, 5:49 PM
Ok, I have waited patiently through all of the projects that I would never even think of building this season just to see Table Saw 101. This was supposed to be broadcast today (March 3rd) in the Detroit area on PBS over Dish Network. I checked my DVR, and no show. No show next week. What in the heck is going on? I know DIY bought the rights to the old NYW's, but what happened to the current shows. There wasn't even any This Old House's on this week. Am I missing something? I really don't feel like chucking 40 bucks out just to see the show.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

Mike Langford
03-03-2007, 6:11 PM
Both my local S.C. PBS and the N.C. PBS station where I normally see Norm & Roy Underhill has preempted their programs because the stations are having their March-Fest fund raising shows......

.....I hope Norm & Roy return next week?

Bill Reed
03-03-2007, 6:15 PM
This show was broadcast on my PBS station (Virginia) this morning, but I only caught the last ten minutes or so. I wish I had seen the whole thing.

Greg Cuetara
03-03-2007, 6:17 PM
Up here in Maine we have had girls high school basketball this sat. and last sat. so no shows. If worse comes to worse I will just have to wait until they reair the episode later this year. I think once they get though all the new episodes they go back and reair them. I remember them doing that last year. Hope they do it again this year.

glenn bradley
03-03-2007, 6:23 PM
Don't these other people realize their priorities are not in tune with ours??? ;-)

Lee DeRaud
03-03-2007, 6:37 PM
Both my local S.C. PBS and the N.C. PBS station where I normally see Norm & Roy Underhill has preempted their programs because the stations are having their March-Fest fund raising shows......

.....I hope Norm & Roy return next week?Lucky you, if it happens: the beg-a-thons here typically run 16 days, Saturday to Sunday...buggering up three weekends.

Mike Langford
03-03-2007, 6:47 PM
Lucky you, if it happens: the beg-a-thons here typically run 16 days, Saturday to Sunday...buggering up three weekends.

I know what you mean Lee.
This is week two for the station in N.C. but only the first week here in S.C.
I'll just watch the shows I have taped until they return.....

Kyle Kraft
03-03-2007, 6:52 PM
What gets me is all the cool shows they run during the telethon, then you never see them (the shows) again.

Doug Jones from Oregon
03-03-2007, 7:20 PM
It used to be, here in the NW, one could plan on sitting down in front of the tv for 2-3 hours on a Saturday afternoon and watch any number of woodworking type shows.

Now it seems, every 3rd. week, they go into a 3 week long "beg-a-thon".

As long as they insist on pre-empting the shows that I watch it will be difficult for me to contribute. I can think of many other shows they could interrupt!

Doug

Pete Brown
03-03-2007, 7:22 PM
Lucky you, if it happens: the beg-a-thons here typically run 16 days, Saturday to Sunday...buggering up three weekends.

Unfortunately, that's the trade-off for commercial-free (and commercial interests-free) TV. :p

Pete

J D Thomas
03-03-2007, 7:33 PM
Pledge drive here in Portland OR. But I did Tivo a funny special with Victor Borge. Patience everyone.

Mike Langford
03-03-2007, 7:38 PM
Unfortunately, that's the trade-off for commercial-free (and commercial interests-free) TV. :p

Pete

Pete,
If you'll notice, PBS is starting to show "longer" sponsor spots. NYW use to just briefly mention the sponsor's names (no logos) at the start and end of the show......Now the sponsors(Delta,PC,MinWax,TiteBond,Woodcraft,etc)
all have little "mini" commercials! In our Ad driven society you'll be hard pressed to find any program without commercials.

Justin Henry
03-03-2007, 7:42 PM
Not gonna complain - I can live with the Begathons as long as they keep the thing commercial free when they done.
For the amount of time I actually see what I want on other channels I've wasted 20 minutes or more every hour being bombarded with crap. The Begathons sure don't equate to 15-20% of a years viewing.;)
Hold tight - things get better

Tyler Howell
03-03-2007, 7:42 PM
we saw that show last week on one pbs last week and the other today.:eek:
they're not syched with anyone

Lee DeRaud
03-03-2007, 8:09 PM

PeteFor some very low value of "commercial interests-free": wonder how many books Wayne Dwyer and Suze Orman sell off those "specials" that fill up the pledge weeks?

Laurie Brown
03-03-2007, 8:21 PM
Here they showed Table Saw 101 part one last weekend, and I recorded it on my newly-built DVR. BUt for part 2, looks like I'll have to wait at least a month! I'm just glad I got the DVR finished in time to record part 1, which is now burned to DVD for my viewing in the shop. ;)

Alfred Clem
03-03-2007, 8:33 PM
It's fund-raising time in Arizona (along with Cactus League baseball). No Norm, no nothin' -- just can-rattling "for a good cause." Thank goodness for Netflix. Tonight it's a movie in our living room -- with our own Orville Redebacher's popcorn and our own clean toilet. Can't beat that!

Justin McCurdy
03-03-2007, 8:49 PM
I am ok with the beg-a-thon, as long as they come back to the show exactly where they left off. It would be a shame for them to skip the tool instructional episodes. Thanks for the heads up everyone. I get cranky when I don't see plaid on Saturday mornings. I usually allow Norm to motivate me into actually working in the shop on the weekend.

John Timberlake
03-03-2007, 9:55 PM
It was on the PBS channel coming out of Kent State this morning as normal. It was a repeat of last Sunday's show. Our stations do not usually preempt NYW because their high society patrons don't watch that early in the day (8:30am).

Mike Heidrick
03-03-2007, 10:07 PM
So I checked my Tivo out today as I was also missing this weeks episode. We only have one PBS station that we get but Direct TV lists two PBS stations.

Channel 47 PBS is the station I get. It did not have a New Yankee Workshop episode at all today. This means I missed pt 2 of Tablesaw 101 (according to Norm last week) - very disapointing!!

Channel 384 is also PBS but I do not get that station. They had tablesaw 101 pt 2 today and have one more episode next week and then they are done with NYW.

So until DIY starts airing NYW I may not be receiving NYW at all. Good thing Tivo is filled with them

Let me know how it turns out for everybody. Anyone actually see TS pt 2 today on NYW??

Guess I will buy the Tablesaw 101 episode if I want to get the 2nd half.

Dave Worsley
03-03-2007, 10:43 PM
Yep was already for it myself, and got 1 hour of someone trying to teach you how to mantain your lawn.

Jerry Olexa
03-03-2007, 11:12 PM
Here in Chicago NW area we had NYW today on Table saw part 2 followed by TOH. All normal. Sorry about the other areas...

Vijay Kumar
03-04-2007, 12:28 AM
What gets me is all the cool shows they run during the telethon, then you never see them (the shows) again.
I agree with you. This is what turns me off most about PBS. Something like bait and switch. About the only show they show during these fund raisers and normal times is Rick Steve's Europe shows. We are having a 7 hour marathon of these today.

Vijay

Dick Aubochon
03-04-2007, 5:47 AM

.....I hope Norm & Roy return next week?

Same here, replaced with girls HS basketball this week.

Jim Thiel
03-04-2007, 6:13 AM
Luckily, we still get to see Laurence Welk!! Woo Hoo!! Ballrooms and bubbles. Now theres good tv.

Jim

Gary Lange
03-04-2007, 4:23 PM
It didn't appear that I was going to get to see the two episodes so I went on the NYW web site and was able to order the two episodes on DVD for $40.00 it may be a little pricey but at least I get to watch them and may learn a great deal from them.

Byron Trantham
03-04-2007, 4:31 PM
We got it here in Spotsylania, VA. I recorded it. We'll see if I get part 2 due next weekend. Won't hold my breath!:rolleyes:

Fred Voorhees
03-04-2007, 4:36 PM
Yeah, Norm wasn't on in my area on DirecTV also yesterday (Sat). I'll recover in a day or so. My wife is making me some comfort food and I'll swill down some frozen margueritas tonight and things will probably begin to seem better by tomorrow.

Alex Shanku
03-04-2007, 4:41 PM
Episodes 1908 and 1909, the table saw shows, are available on newsgroups as of 12 hours ago.