PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite NE

Bernie Weishapl
03-03-2007, 5:01 PM
Well here is a mesquite NE I did this afternoon. I left the walls on this one just a little thicker due to the fact mesquite doesn't move much. They are between a 1/4" to 3/8". Sanded to 400 grit and has one coat of Minwax Tung Oil finish on it. I also found out with this bigger bark it is best to keep track of your pinkies when running at 800 rpm. :mad::mad: One knuckle a little raw but it was my fault for not paying attention. Let me know what you think. Pictures aren't the best. I just bought a Photo Tent Kit with a small and large tent, the two lights, camera tripod and 4 backgrounds for each tent. Hopefully that will help.

Bob Noles
03-03-2007, 5:04 PM
Let be the first to say WOW!

You just keep out doing your self buddy.

Steve Schlumpf
03-03-2007, 5:05 PM
Wow Bernie - nice work! I like the form, bark and the way the sapwood runs the entire circumference of the bowl. Looks like you got this down to a science! Very nice!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-03-2007, 5:35 PM
Bernie....You get better everyday! Nicely done. I do like NEs and I like that mesquite one! Gorgeous wood!

Kaptan J.W. Meek
03-03-2007, 7:24 PM
Nice.. Mesquite is so beautiful.. but do your tools get that black pitch on them?.. I had to sharpen my 1/2" bowl gouge like 4 times and use paint thinner to get the pitch off..

Tom Sherman
03-03-2007, 9:15 PM
Bernie that is a nice one, looks like that really could be a knuckle wrecker.

Bernie Weishapl
03-03-2007, 9:28 PM
Nice.. Mesquite is so beautiful.. but do your tools get that black pitch on them?.. I had to sharpen my 1/2" bowl gouge like 4 times and use paint thinner to get the pitch off..
I only sharpened mine once. I have Ellsworth gouge that is made with the metal that is suppose to last 3 to 6 times longer. I probably could have honed it and been fine. Mine don't seem to get the black pitch on them.

Thanks for the compliments. Yep got to get some more of that mesquite. I really like that stuff. Nice turning wood from green to finish.

John Hart
03-03-2007, 9:37 PM
Oh yeah. I like it Bernie. I like mesquite anyway...but ya done good on this.:)

Keith Burns
03-03-2007, 10:09 PM
Bernie, lookin' good! This one looks really wicked and I guess it was:eek:

Nancy Laird
03-03-2007, 10:11 PM
Bernie, this bowl is beautiful! Now, if you don't have a place to display it, I can help you out.

Bernie Weishapl
03-03-2007, 11:16 PM
Bernie, this bowl is beautiful! Now, if you don't have a place to display it, I can help you out.

I have had several offers here locally to display it for me. I think the LOML has already laid claim to it and I ain't taking it away from her. :eek:

This one was really fun to do. I really like turning mesquite. Nice wood, nice color and stable.

Neal Addy
03-04-2007, 1:13 AM
Wow Bernie... that's a beauty! Nice work.

Dick Parr
03-04-2007, 7:55 AM
Great job Bernie, that's looks great.;)

Bernie Weishapl
03-04-2007, 9:39 AM
Thanks again for the kind words. This one was fun for sure. So back to the big auction house e... to see if I can find another piece.

Brian McInturff
03-04-2007, 9:46 AM
Bernie,
I like it as well. Did you save the shavings from it for the grill? My wife asked me if I did, of course after I had vac'ed everything up, cause she wanted to grill some burgers. Live and learn for me anyway.
I love the shape of that one. I can see it actually being used for bread during a Sunday spread on the dining room table. Beautiful piece!!
Brian

Glenn Hodges
03-04-2007, 2:49 PM
You did a fine job on that one Bernie, it is a beaut.