PDA

View Full Version : 3 phase power question

Mike Mastin
12-11-2003, 11:28 AM
I am looking at purchasing a old 16" RAS for our shop and we have three phase power, but this unit is a 480V unit and I am not sure that our shop is setup for this high of a voltage. Can someone enlighten me on how to determine if our panel will supply this voltage?
Is there a step-up transformer that we can use, if the exsisting panel will not supply the required 480 Volts?

Rob Russell
12-11-2003, 4:44 PM
I am looking at purchasing a old 16" RAS for our shop and we have three phase power, but this unit is a 480V unit and I am not sure that our shop is setup for this high of a voltage. Can someone enlighten me on how to determine if our panel will supply this voltage?
Is there a step-up transformer that we can use, if the exsisting panel will not supply the required 480 Volts?

Look at the breakers in your panel - they'll specify whether or not they are 480v rated. That's the first thing to check.

If you really want to know - take a multitester and check the potential between 2 of the hot legs.

There are transformers that you can buy which will step up the 240v 3-phase to 480v 3-phase. Square D or GE are a couple of manufacturers.

Bob Lasley
12-11-2003, 6:22 PM
Mike,

Most likely your building is only wired for 208 or 240 volt. A sure sign of a 480 volt service is a transformer inside by your distribution panel to knock the 480 volts down to 120 for receptacles and maybe lighting. As Rob mentioned transformers are available to boost the voltage from 208 or 240 up to 480. It is possible that the saw might be reconnectable to 240. If this is the case, it should say so on the nameplate. If you decide to buy it and need a transformer, let me know the horsepower and/or full load amp rating and I may be able to help you out.

Bob

Carl Eyman
12-11-2003, 6:33 PM
Some years ago I bought a bunch of machinery with 550 v 3 ph motors. Not wanting to spend big bucks I had the motors reconnected to a delta connection from a "Y" . This cut them back to about 270 volts. I then went ahead and ran them on 230. They were still running last I knew. Ask a motor shop about it. It only costs about $25 to $50. If anyone can shed more light on this potental solution I'll be all ears.